Post by S L Dave »

For future reference, I am trying to find somewhere
in the North East that has reasonable
property taxes. I know that NY and NJ
are out of control...what about MA,
CT, RI, NH,ME,or MD, DE?
I am typing this with the new iphone
It has taken about a half hour!!!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yuk, snow, ice, and a short fishing season....and they make ya pay for it too?

C'C'mon 8)

Thanks for the "no" Iphone heads up. Thats all I need! :roll:
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Dave...the phone is cool...it just takes some getting used to I think.

I know about NY and NJ prop taxes first hand. No fun.

Just as an example...
My old roomate and I bought houses at the same time for just about the same money. Me in Orange County, CA...him in Rockland County, NY.
Property values have risen and fallen at almost identical rates. Our houses are still about the same market value.
My yearly property taxes are under $5,000
His yearly property taxes are over $18,000
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'd think the opposite......for Orange County CA.

Think deep south. Here you'll have to live on the "water", in a whopper of a house to pay 5K in property taxes. In S.E. Georgia, a very pristine area you can have acres along the coast with a saltmarsh creek in your yard for 1/4 of NY prices, I think. S.E. Georgia is beautiful, and no one knows it, YET.

Or go, as I call it; "Fish Camp style", like me. Close to water, I can smell it, I can almost see it, I can walk to it and fish, I can be in it in 4-5 minutes with my boat, and my place is small and pay $1,000 a year. Which I think is too high, for where I'm at.

I've always been under the impression that anywhere near LaLa land, that bread costs $5.00 a loaf, Fuel is .20 cents less than in Alaska, a one bedroom costs $800K. And ya'll drive special cars, and you can't "ship" lead out of state or into the state because the "night people" eat it and die. hahahahah..... :lol:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Jetty, a little secret, the property taxes in Calif. are 1%

So if a guy there tells you he's paying 5K a year , he has a $500,000.00 home. :wink:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Kicker is there is no 75K homes that anyone but a crack whore would want to live in?
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

California is a big state with lots of ports where housing is a lot more reasonable than you would think, and you don't have hurricanes or the hot muggy weather.

Eureka comes to mind.
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Kicker is there is no 75K homes that anyone but a crack whore would want to live in?
75K for a home out here???... That's a good one!!!

Hey Jettywolf, It wasn't easy, but a found a couple of 75K places for you

Image Image

I'd go for the one on the bottom... room to park the alloy :lol: :lol: :lol:

...When do you want to move?
Last edited by IN2DEEP on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

The average price for a house in Eureka is $121K.

Good tuna, salmon, ling cod and halibut, trout and bay fishing, along with skiing, camping and cultural events with 2 major universities in a town of 28,000, servicing 50,000 people in the area. Victorian style houses are the rule. Nice folks.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

SL Dave, a $290K home in RI 5-7 mile from the water N of Rt.1 has property taxes of about $1800-$2400.........about 2500 SQ Ft of living space
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

AlloyToy wrote:SL Dave, a $290K home in RI 5-7 mile from the water N of Rt.1 has property taxes of about $1800-$2400.........about 2500 SQ Ft of living space
Now that's a reasonable rate for property taxes!!! I wonder if RI waterfront property is taxed at a different rate than non waterfront?

The good thing about California is that the property tax is based on 1.2% your purchase price and will only go up a small percentage each year thanks to Howard Jarvis' Proposition 13. Your home is not taxed on any arbitrary "assessment value". The concept was that if you can afford to buy the house...you should be able to stay there and not get pushed out because the neighborhood values have risen.

I remember a few years back when there was a new assessment in the Hamptons in NY. Families who have lived in the same house for generations now were being taxed on the current assessment. Many had to sell their homes and leave.
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Bullshipper wrote:The average price for a house in Eureka is $121K.

Good tuna, salmon, ling cod and halibut, trout and bay fishing, along with skiing, camping and cultural events with 2 major universities in a town of 28,000, servicing 50,000 people in the area. Victorian style houses are the rule. Nice folks.
According to realtor.com the median price of a house in Eureka is $300K. Still a good deal for a nice house in California.
There are 213 properties forsale in Eureka. The cheapest is a shack built in 1904 for 129K.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Ouch!!!!. I'm not complaining anymore about my taxes (actually never did). I feel it is coming soon to us up North. I guess I'll enjoy it while I can. My place is only worth about 250K and my taxes are under a G note(your lingo so you can understand).
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

SL Dave, Closer to the water means more $$$$. The tax rate is the same but the value of the home is much greater. RI saw a surge of NY & NJ people come in buying homes for stupid money, but it was still a deal vs. the Hampton's for the property. Now it's spiraled out of control. Individuals whom have lived there their whole life can no longer afford the property taxes and are forced to sell.

Have a buddy who owned a home at Fire Island. It was left to him by a relative. He sold it two years ago and has now taken an early retirement at 48 .......UNREAL!!

We have relatives in Pearl River............I can't believe the property values there!!
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

[quote="S L Dave"][quote="Bullshipper"]The average price for a house in Eureka is $121K.

Good tuna, salmon, ling cod and halibut, trout and bay fishing, along with skiing, camping and cultural events with 2 major universities in a town of 28,000, servicing 50,000 people in the area. Victorian style houses are the rule. Nice folks.[/quote]

According to realtor.com the median price of a house in Eureka is $300K. Still a good deal for a nice house in California.
There are 213 properties forsale in Eureka. The cheapest is a shack built in 1904 for 129K.[/quote]

My brother has lived there fore 30 years, and would disagree with you. I was up there last Xmas vacation and new small houses with views of the bay were going for $175K.

Don't know the date on this article, but this was my source for the statistic.

http://www.eurekawebs.com/cityhall/main.cfm
M1911

Post by M1911 »

Property taxes in MA depend on the town. The Mrs. and I pay about $8,000/year on property taxes for our large estate -- 3/4 acre, 20 miles west of Boston, with a 1500 square foot ranch house built (poorly) in the 1950s. And it needs a new kitchen. Did I mention that it is on a cut-through street?

In addition to real estate taxes, in MA you pay excise taxes each year on your car and boat, state income taxes (5%+), and sales tax. With all the dollars going out of our pockets, you might expect that the state would be in good shape financially. It isn't. The state government is running a deficit and the towns are in very tough shape

In summary, taxes in MA are out of control and getting worse by the minute.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I'll stop bitchin about Jax Fla. with that report.....I have it made in a cheap town for us poor folks. Right where I belong I guess.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

IN2DEEP wrote:
JETTYWOLF wrote:Kicker is there is no 75K homes that anyone but a crack whore would want to live in?
75K for a home out here???... That's a good one!!!

Hey Jettywolf, It wasn't easy, but a found a couple of 75K places for you

Image Image

I'd go for the one on the bottom... room to park the alloy :lol: :lol: :lol:

...When do you want to move?

IN2DEEP,

I like you brother. I don't know my azz from a hole in the ground about anything west of the end of my street, and just hear tons of crap from many of my customers, from all over the world and USA, and West Coast.
So I just blab it out.. (making conversation)....and you come back with a GREAT come back. Where's that THUMBS UP, Emoticon :?: ?

Good one indeed sir.....I know "we" could fish together and have a ball!
NUKE

taxes ,and places to live in "north east "

Post by NUKE »

Maine is great 3,000 miles of coast line , property taxes inland cheap ,coastal very expensive, user taxes on everything but the kitchen sink , bottle deposits on all containers milk and water included. and lots of snow also .. New Hampshire is income tax free ,but only 16 miles of Coastline more with the Piscatiqua River (great fishing) and Great Bay. realestate taxes can be extreem on the waterfront like Lake Winnapasoki (sic) 25,000 is not uncommon for a year round place . and still snow... Delaware looks good year round . taxes reasonable weather is superb for fishing and huge cow striper fishing is the rule .lots of coastline low prices on realestate compared to the surrounding area, D.C. Maryland PA. and snow ? not very often if at all .... my vote is for the southern end of the penninsula towards the VA. state line ... only downside as I see it ,being downwind of D.C. for obvious reasons . Good Shopping
NUKE
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

Down this part of the world things are slightly different. Our property taxes (we call them Rates) are generally based on the unimproved land value & paid to the local council which equates to the county. The size or value of your house has no impact on your rates.Then there are extra charges for water, rubbish collection & town sewerage connection.
The State also imposes a levy (tax) for Emergency response teams so there is no cost for ambulance use.
There is no state or city income tax or property tax on your residence. You pay to register your vehicle or boat but that is it.
The unimproved value of my land is around $240000 & the total of my rates & other charges is around $2500 per annum.
So when my next Rates notice appears perhaps I should not complain.
:D :D :D
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
NUKE

krikey mate

Post by NUKE »

that sounds ok Pete ,but lets compare again

I pay property taxes to the Local Gov (Town) ,the town gov then budgets for schools and school pensions. Emergancy services and Public Safety ,police ,fire,and ambulance and their pensions also out of local budget . Town Maint and waste depts,(roads,waste water treatment and recycle center and all related personel ) also their pensions are budgeted from local taxes .
Need more money ? They also charge for a trip in the amblance 700 to 800 dollars per use .Residents also have to purchase a sticker to use the boat ramp 50 dollars , mooring fee 50 dollars ,the recycle center 50 dollars ( and the town sells the waste and glass ,paper and metals )some towns here also make you purchase trash bags at 1 dollar per from the town along with the fee for the sticker. still not enough .

Pay the town every year for auto registration (TAGS) and pay an exsize tax based on the Manufactures sugested retail price not what you acually paid for the vehical .then do it on every thing else that floats ,moves over snow ,or earth. lets not forget things that get towed ,travel trailers and anything that you can think of.

This really ticks me off . after all of that they charge me 800 dollars to service the fire plug (Flush it) in front of my house every year.
Still need more money ,they get it from state taxes and fees (income tax,gas tax cig tax ,liquer tax, and sales tax ,permits and fees.)
have you had enough ? not me ! still have to pay federal income tax,unemplyment tax ,social securitry gets some too ! lets not forget federal and local phone taxes. fed highway taxes (fuels),rubber taxes (Tires)

I bet if I wasn't so tired I could think of some more . Wait...Capitol gains.estate taxes ..oh well get the picture ?

Maine is beautiful and has the highest taxes per capita in the USA and is among the poorest states ..I wonder why ?
NUKE
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

Nuke,
All I can say is............ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Our police are state or federal. Firefighters & ambulance crews are state, as are schools. There is a 10% Goods & services tax (GST) on everything except food but unlike the US, the GST is included in the ticket price. No nasty little surprises at the checkout. All GST revenue goes back to the states.
Plus we have federal income tax & capital gains tax but that is about it.
But to be fair, on our three month road trip in the US last year, we found the cost of things to be pretty reasonable. But we were not paying any of the taxes that you have identified. :D :D :D So we will be back next year for five months. :wink: :wink:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic