JRebuild questions

General boating discussion
Mcrafty01
Your location: Belmont, NC

JRebuild questions

Post by Mcrafty01 »

Rebuilding a 21' Starcraft. Going to use 3/4" marine plywood floor, do u need to foam under the floor. I have foam but on I know on my NON ALLOY boat it holds alot of water... So what do u guys use under the floors when replacing ur floor?? Also tring to decided on motor bracket or mounting the motor to the transom. Any advice would be great!!!
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: JRebuild questions

Post by Chaps »

If you want flotation under there I would lay in loose strips and chunks of Styrofoam block or expanded polyethylene (pool noodles) Neither of those will absorb water and drainage will still work. I doubt the transom on a Starcraft would be strong enough for a bracket unless you plan on a fairly light engine. Does the factory offer a bracketed engine?
Mcrafty01

Post by Mcrafty01 »

well i already have to foam for the floor.. i planned on redoing the whole transom making it 2-2 1/2" thick. i thought about taking the splash well out and having that much more fishing room and adding the bracket. it just seems that the brackets are so expensive. i am not sure yet on that. the boat is 1970's model i got a real good deal on it so now i wont to rebuild it and make it a mad fishing machine... if you guys have any tips or advice on a rebuild let me know that would be great
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Mcrafty,

I have a 21ft Starcraft, don't put a bracket on it. Also the splash well is very large, but when a wave does come over the transom, it helps to have that room. Please post some pictures before you get into your project.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

There was an old timer on the pond I live on that use to rebuild all kinds of old alum boats. and service old motors ect....
He use to use ping pong balls for floatation. He put them everywhere....under bench seats, under the floor ect...he would contain them in onion sacks....claims it works :mrgreen:
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

My 21' Northriver has no foam or floatation what so ever. I was told it is not required of boats 21" or larger. As you stated it could end up water soaked.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Mcrafty01

Post by Mcrafty01 »

21ftcc wrote:Mcrafty,

I have a 21ft Starcraft, don't put a bracket on it. Also the splash well is very large, but when a wave does come over the transom, it helps to have that room. Please post some pictures before you get into your project.
I will post pics of the build!!! I will start in about a month, heading down to nc coast the next 2 weekends to do some king makeral fishing!!! Soon as I get back I will start the build and post pics!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic