Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

San Diego Fishing Yacht Get's Stuck In Tuna Pen- Must Read

Post by IN2DEEP »

Happened last weekend. :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fishi ... ost1064550

Scott
Last edited by IN2DEEP on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Good God I don't know where to begin on this one!!!

That is just unbelievable!!!!
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

Sooooooooooooooooooo.....................................

Did his story have anything to do with alloy boats :?: :?: :?: :?:

Absolutely :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: !

The Mexican cutter was alloy, although of a pretty weird design :D :D :D & the Coast Guard boat was also alloy.

But what a great story with fantastic pics. :D :D :D :D

Scott, thank you for digging that one up & posting it here. You would not get a scenario like that from a Hollywood film studio. This would get my vote for the story of the year. 8) 8) 8)
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

thanks for the link. great story.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

I love the pic of the guy with the fish on and the authorities in the back round :D :D :D
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

That will probably be their best tuna trip of the year!

They look giddy, they're having such a good time :roll: :D :lol:
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

WILD STORY!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

I would let them here the sound of the slide action on my Stainless Steel 870 Remington marine 12-gauge..SHI..CHICK Can you say "GET OUT OF MY FACE!!!"
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Hey Marty,
I hope that you're just playing around :(
Americans are visitors in their country.
Believe it or not, you can't have a gun or even a bullet in Mexico...and those feds are heavily armed with automatic weapons :shock: :shock: :shock:
Best to be a good boy over there :wink:

As far as I could tell, they were being extremely helpful to get them out of their predicament.

Scott
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

They're Bluefin Tuna?

Those tuna are so small........is that what over harvesting has done?

They're the size of coastal Bonita here.

They literally drove over that wall of tubing surrounding the net???
Man the impact must have been pretty hard.
M1911

Post by M1911 »

I would let them here the sound of the slide action on my Stainless Steel 870 Remington marine 12-gauge
One guy with an 870 against a boat full of federales armed with fully automatic assault rifles and a pintle-mounted machine gun? Bad idea. Really bad idea. At best you'd wind up in a Mexican prison. At worst, you'd be dead.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Marty,

Your soooo misunderstood.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If life on the Canyons was like that, no one would be there huh?

C 'C'mon... :wink:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Jetty they catch small schoolies then in those pens they fatten them up. It take 15 lbs. of feed to get 1 lb. of flesh
Problems I have is that they catch all the forage fish up locally to feed the Bluefin.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

JETTYWOLF wrote:They're Bluefin Tuna?

Those tuna are so small........is that what over harvesting has done?

They're the size of coastal Bonita here.

They literally drove over that wall of tubing surrounding the net???
Man the impact must have been pretty hard.
Jetty,
I don't think that the sides are very tall and not super rigid.

Like Mark said; They capture them, transfer them into the pens, fatten them up to a certain size and oil content, head and gut, flash freeze and ship them overseas.

BIG $$$ industry
Here's a little info:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17917677/

Mojo,
All the forage???
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Thats a wild story for sure. I have a diver friend that was diving for geoducks down there on permit with a local and the authorities in there American made boats with there American made machine guns came up to the dive site and when they surfaced were confronted with about a dozen guns pointed at them. They were mistaken for drug runners and taken to a compound and eventually (two days later)let go. The events at the compound would take too much space on this board. To make a long story short don't F&*k with the Mexican authorities.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hey Scott how are you doing my friend. I appologize if this goes into a long rant :twisted:.... Well "all the forage" is figurative. Keep an eye on the Mariculture Tuna Industry it is coming to the US bigtime. They seem to have quite a political push.......... enough to where everyone is chasing the dollar signs.

http://www.eurocbc.org/farming_not_salv ... e1667.html

........................................... Taken from article above ....................

Furthermore, with the tuna being a carnivorous fish, its voracious appetite meant that other fish stocks had to be heavily fished to feed it. While it takes three tons of wild fish to produce one ton of salmon and five tons of wild fish to produce one ton of cod, it takes a massive 20 tons of wild fish to fatten up just one ton of tuna for market. The effects on wild fisheries are devastating, he warned. Yet the European Union continues to fund the expansion of tuna farms in the Mediterranean.

Port Lincoln, once a depressed and run-down town, has acquired hotels, restaurants, cinemas and a spanking new marina that includes a waterfront residential development accessed by a private drawbridge.

While being fattened up, the tuna consume vast amounts of fish. Three times a day, feed boats moor up beside the farms and flick in a few tiddlers to see if the tuna are hungry. Then they lower pallets of frozen fish into a feeder cage in the middle of the pen. The tuna cruise up and lie beneath the cage, waiting for the fish to thaw and drop into their mouths.

For the tuna, it is the closest thing to being hand-fed. In the wild, they eat only once a week, and have to work hard for it. One feed boat alone leaves port every morning loaded with 20 tons of pilchards, sardines, herrings and anchovies, chosen for their high oil content and imported from California.

.........................................................................................................

Why would Port Lincoln Australia import sardines from California??? If they could simply net their own Pilchards (sardine) locally.

Math 4000 tons of bluefin tuna X 20 tons of pilchard = 80,000 tons of feed........ 80,000 tons = 160,000,000 lbs. of pilchards to feed just the Port Lincoln Mariculture.

http://pilchards.com.au/

http://www.environment.gov.au/soe/2001/ ... s04-1.html

From the Australian government report above..... evidence has grown since this report.

The origin of the infectious agent in Australia is still unknown. Scientists (Whittington et al. 1997) have hypothesised that a herpes virus may have been introduced via ballast water, seabirds or imported baitfish. They noted at that time that more than 10 000 tonnes of pilchards were being imported annually from California, Peru, Chile and Japan without quarantine inspection. They were fed to sea-caged Southern Bluefin Tuna near the southern extremity of the Eyre Peninsula in South Australia.

The imported pilchard hypothesis suggests that importation of untreated frozen pilchards carries a very high risk for Australian stocks of S. sagax.

Research aimed at answering some of the questions surrounding the 1995 and 1998-99 mass mortalities is under way. The mass kills have serious implications for our trade, quarantine and for the species dependent on pilchards as a source of food.

..........................................................................................................

Just my opinion but when the conglomerates move in it will be us private sport fishermen that end up on the short end of the stick. The reduction in the carrying capacity of our local marine enviroment effects all fisheries.

Bait/feed will be sold to the highest bidder...... sportfishermen are woefully under funded.

As a recreational fisherman in California it feels if I am being squeezed out.........I appologize for my rant but I smell a resources grab. What is your take on this subject. I am here to learn.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Mojomizer,

Thanks for the education :oops:

Here's one more account of the incident
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metr ... 4tuna.html
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Scott I didn't even know this was happening until I saw... Tuna wranglers on the Discovery Channel.... I wanted to find out more and was disapointed over what I was reading and finding out.

This winter we had some Bluefin/Yellowfin washing up on shore barely kicking or dead. Found out a winter storm busted up a few pens down south.

Check out google earth and see how many tuna pens you can count I have found 35 so far. Love checking out Google Earth when I cannot sleep.

What are our friends down under take on Tuna Pens?

Regards

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic