Jaxoncraft Build BC Canada

A Place to Show and Tell
Bill 310

Jaxoncraft Build BC Canada

Post by Bill 310 »

This thread will bring you up to date on our build thread from April 2021 until the November 2021

I followed a build thread of a similar (but different) build thread in 2019. and now the story begins.

April 27, 2021.

Unfortunately, I enjoyed that build thread a little too much and decided to have a similar boat built by JaxonCraft.

We were lucky to get a build spot that opened up for late May / early June. of this year due to randomness of a build cancellation . It will be interesting to see how things go with building a boat a year and a bit after the pandemic has affected supply chains. We are being as defensive as possible and buying things when we see them for the build.

We have already purchased the aluminum, the motors (and controls) and the electronics. It is the little things that are going to be a challenge. For example we want to have the Yeti cooler tie down parts for the rear deck. They are sold out (and have been) almost everywhere in North America for some time. I managed to find a set last week. It will be these little things that may be the challenge as the build goes on.

I will combine the decisions made in my other threads into this one over the next few weeks.

My decision to do the thread was more about helping the builder than anything else. I had never heard of Jaxon Craft before ReelSlim's build.

I also want to thank ReelSlim for all his help during the last few months. To answer your questions we are building the same size/model boat but ours will be less hard core fishing.

Speaking of finding and buying things my brother is (it was was) a wooden boat guy. My brother read the thread and reminded me he that may be boat less but he is still a wooden boat guy at heart .He had a a few boats he was the custodian for (they are not owners but rather custodians of history). I am going to ask him to send me a few photos to post up on the thread.

He tipped me off to a Canadian rope maker in Ontario http://www.onlineropestore.com/

They have free shipping on orders over $100.00. I ordered lines and a throw bag from this company. We will see how that goes.

Anchor and Winch. A lot of our build is based on trust and Robert told me which Anchor/ winch system he will install. Many of his customers use this system.

We had to order it from the US . It is made in Australia . The US Distributor is the developer's brother

https://hammermarine.com/

Website for the Winch Anchor System

https://www.lonestarmarine.com.au/

Motors

We bought a pair of 2021 Suzuki 150s (Fly by Wire). Later in the build these will be more motor action.

We bought the motors from Breakers Marine in Port Alberni. They were a delight to deal with and I received the most professional written and phone communication during the buying process from Jeremy Waugh. We may have got some of the last 150's in stock and these were engines physically in the dealership. We put a deposit on a set of serial numbers to avoid the warranty starting, this becomes important later.
Bill 310

Re: Jaxoncraft Build BC Canada

Post by Bill 310 »

We have selected our electronics (cut from another thread) and will put a deposit on them to insure availability

Furuno TZTl2-F MFD

Furuno DRS4-NXT radar

MapMedia BC coast chart

Airmar SS60 / 20 transducer

Navico GS25 gps / heading sensor

Sitex MDA5+ AIS transceiver

Icom M506 vhf radio

Shakspeare 5400/XT vhf antenna

Actisense AS-8 port NMEA2000 harness

We ordered everything from SeaCom Marine Electronics Ltd. in Campbell River B.C. V9W 2E4

They will be doing the install as well.
Bill 310

Post by Bill 310 »

JaxonCraft builds 2-4 boats a year. Customization and personalization of the build is of great value to some people.

For me due to my height, higher gunnels, a cabin interior in which i don't bang my head, and a cabin bulkhead moved so that i can sleep stretched out in the v-berth are worth a lot.

An extensive build option list for some people might include "fish phasors", a "cone of silence, " "a dance floor disco light system", and the option of using of unubtanium instead of aluminum for the build. We just kept our changes simple and ergonomic.
Bill 310

Post by Bill 310 »

May 9, 2021

Just heard from Robert (the builder). Our build will start this Thursday. :p

Robert will be sending me a lot of photos during the build which I will post up.

The draught is 21" with engines up and 38" with the engines down (25" shafts)

The Beam is 9'4" and the height is 13'6"

LOA with motors up to the tip of the anchor will be 32-33 feet

Weight of the boat with motors, fuel (125 gallons) and 4 people will be in the range of 7500 pounds.
Bill 310

Post by Bill 310 »

May 13, 2021

Robert called me today and told me that the Aluminum shipment was in the shop and they will be organizing it today.

The photo below is a 24 foot version of our boat with a pod. Our boats are a foot longer and a bit wider.

So I am stuck here because I can't seem to post photos. Any suggestions?

Bill 310

Post by Bill 310 »

The wider longer hull was to the best of my knowledge first built for ReelSlim. I never thought about trailering the boat. I drive a sedan and my wife has a unibody mid size SUV so trailering was never an option. I just agreed with what Robert suggested.

We are having a porta potti in the v-birth and a folding table outside the back wall of the cabin, I am not sure what it will look like..

We are getting a longer v birth but no sink or galley, The weight I mentioned was for the bare hull. I am thinking all up we will be about 7500 to 8000 pounds. We were talking about more of a galley today and I will ask Robert if it will work and the cost.

Flat floor up to the V birth

Centre cabin door
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Bill 310,
First welded boat design I've seen with such nice Profile View lines that weren't curves! Everything above the chine is a straight line but the proportions and combination of those line choices are very attractive- never knew angle points would look so nice together; great designer. Thanks for posting the image.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic