Thanks for the add

Introduce yourself here
AKJOURNEY

Thanks for the add

Post by AKJOURNEY »

I look forward to being a participating member. I live in Alaska, and last year I purchased a Monark 21 footer aluminum tri v hull, which was a former Army Corp of Engineers Vessel, from Louisiana.
Beginning an all out restoration. Seeking advice, and opinions.
On June 2nd I have a mobile sandblasted coming out. Taking it down to bare aluminum. As I am a former industrial painter, I will do the coatings myself.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what this vessel was formerly used for?
Thanks again….
AKJOURNEY

Re: Thanks for the add

Post by AKJOURNEY »

Trying to post pictures, anyone know how to get image code from photo bucket on an iPhone?
AKJOURNEY

Post by AKJOURNEY »

kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

AK Journey, YOUR Photobucket album seems set to private! so it won't post here and we can't access it!

I use Photobucket and just use the Image switches for my posts and it seems to work OK?

In the text of your post, you can use the "ON" switch of Image "OFF" switch and this tells the Forum Software how to handle a link to your Photobucket image file. Don't allow spaces between your link string and the 'switch' strings I show above.

has worked for my posts for quite a while, so if you do that it may work for you as well?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
AKJOURNEY

Post by AKJOURNEY »

Set to public, thanks! Ahh, a fellow Alaskan- I’m in Wasilla
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

AkJ,
Still get the same message;"set private" when I tried to follow your link - to the photo album? Might be my browser? PBucket has rejected my browser in the past! I'd change to another app and see if I can view the images?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
AKJOURNEY

Post by AKJOURNEY »

Well, I know this will work.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pMgrG8EF2JBtH28M6
AKJOURNEY

Post by AKJOURNEY »

Thanks for letting me know Kevin. Yep, I am an analog guy, lol. Gonna make this boat a PWS cruiser, my intents are to store it annually in Whittier. I still cannot figure out image code on photo bucket…
Going to blast with magnesium media, I do need some advice. Should I paint, or keep it aluminum? A toss up at this point.
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

AKJourney, yes I could see those images.

I don't know what the hull was doing for the Corp of Engineers, but like most of their work boats- she's a bit on the h o m e l y side! That cabin is a box and only a box!

The hull looks like it was intended to run some at speeds? Why bother with the Cathedral Hull unless you were trying to get some decent speed in a bit of a seaway? Not much deck left after the inboard installation! I'd say, unless the engine is very low hours and running very well? you may want to think of an outboard(s) to get your stern deck "back"!

Probably will want to consider some raised bulwarks forward- to help keep the spray and chop off the deck there. Very low topsides to waterline for saltwater seas - especially in a head sea?

Interesting project.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
AKJOURNEY

Post by AKJOURNEY »

The engine appears to be new, hours show a little over 200. Looking at all the hoses, clamps, and lines, everything power train appears recent. We did fire it off for a few seconds, it went after turning over twice. Question: on the stern, on both sides of the inboard, are what looks like pumice stone? We are pulling old decking off this weekend. To be able to circulate water, I am assuming all I need is one of those slip on water circulator. Yes, it would be nice to have outboards. I am considering modifying cabin, shortening, to allow more deck room. That, an making a custom engine cover out of diamond plate.
AKJOURNEY

Post by AKJOURNEY »

I am thinking it was a Mississippi River pilot boat-
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

AKJourney,
Those 'pumice stones' are anodes!!! I might be wrong as I've NEVER (EVER. EVER!!) seen such massive zincs on a hull this size and the holders are a complete mystery to me.

Maybe our resident anode and bottom coating expert, Chaps will drop by? He will have more insight into what kind of vessel would need that level of anodic protection? If your boat were 30-50' I could see those zinc bulbs - but not sure about the housings or any other features!

One thing we can agree on... if they look like pumice? Your boat has some horrific stray current going out the hull!! I'd want to review the wiring - every single wire, all the connections and make a diagram so you "KNOW" where, what is powered and how it returns to DC Neg Bus!!

PUmice! I had to laugh. Not at you but at your description. Could be those big unprotected SS trim planes? They're enough to eat the lower transom - by themselves!

Maybe she was a Pilot Boat- but I didn't realize the Corp was involved in the Pilot racket?

Yes, get rid of the plywood engine cover! (typical Farm type Solution from the Midwest!)

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
AKJOURNEY

Post by AKJOURNEY »

I was thinking that it was possibly anodes- I am a former Merchant Marine- AB Unlimited, but that was a long time ago. I remember seeing same on ships when we were in shipyard repairs. They certainly appear to be pourus like pumice- what I remember is a bar with welded leads to the hull. So, there lies the confusion I have. Just going off of long time ago memories.
Some background on the vessel, whose name is to be changed, regardless of tradition/superstition. No way is it going to be “Yo Fat Baby”, lol.
A gold miner from Alaska, bought it and hauled it all the way up here, pulled with a half ton truck. Yeah I know, Wow, right? He parked it at a acquaintance of mine, who was a fellow employee with the Alaska Dept of Corrections. Well, right after, he passed, heart attack. My buddy told me about it- and I managed to buy it, from the estate, for 3 k. So, I have some room to make an investment. I got lucky…there is much I need. Repaint, reconfigure. Radar, updated electronics. I am thinking the engine is fine, if not, I will go with an outboard, and kicker. Two people on boat, possibly three. Yeah, need more stern space… possible reduction on cabin. Cabin is going to be reconfigured.
AKJOURNEY

Post by AKJOURNEY »

I’ll take a close up of the anodes on Saturday.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic