Hello.. new member and need assistance

General boating discussion
tsgarvey

Re: Hello.. new member and need assistance

Post by tsgarvey »

Yofish wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:13 am Ask me how many times I've seen this....
How many times? lol

Found quite a few wire ties at the bottom of the foam.. rusting. Can something as simple as this be a cause for this to happen?
20201225_153639.jpg
20201225_153639.jpg (172.64 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Re: Hello.. new member and need assistance

Post by kmorin »

Tom, while i can say it is never acceptable to have loose steel/iron/ferrous metals in the (wet) bilge of an aluminum boat.... I don't think this is sole source solution to the soup in your bilges that were corrosive?

Notice the ends are all that seem (as shown?) to be rusted, so the wires seem largely intact? But then, if they were against the hull, or close surely these would have formed a galvanic cell local to their position under the foam and in a wetted area around the wires.

I think I recall, haven't looked, there were steel deck fasteners - as the deck beams seemed rotted out around fittings? So this could have been a contribution to leaching iron (ferric oxide or rust) into the bilge water as well? Sure looks like the steel deck fasteners 'ate' the stringers/beams' flanges where they were inserted in un-insulated holes?

I think the bilge water was a solution of metal 'salts' and oxides ? but... trying to predict duration, progressive deterioration or a timeline is beyond anything I've been able to learn. However, rinsing the bilges, and using base (soda or ammonia) in water to help neutralize and ph shift (detected by ph strips from pharmacy or online) is more than just a strongly held opinion - as your unfortunate skiff bottom attests.

Also useful but something I've only just begun to learn much about is the aircraft anti-corrosion oils that form a thin film in voids of aluminum craft where cleaning by other means isn't fully satisfactory. ACF-50 and its peers in the market place are used to spray inside voids of aircraft where corrosion is suspected or detected by video borescope inspection.

I was totally skeptical until the mechanic on an aircraft I was helping restore- took a piece of highly corroded aluminum and put two drops of ACF-50 at one end of the 3" x 1" pc of alum. In two days those two drops had traveled by capillary action to the end of the strip and when I gouged the pitting out- the bottoms of each pit were 'oil' film coated. So, while I haven't used any for my own boats, and have personal experience, the demonstration was sufficient to convince me this stuff is worth the incredibly high cost!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic