Carpet Bunk to Roller Conversion EZ Loader 1925 Pacific

Truck and Trailer discussion
PappaPepper
Donator '20

Carpet Bunk to Roller Conversion EZ Loader 1925 Pacific

Post by PappaPepper »

I have a an EZ Loader 3700 single axel trailer with carpeted bunks for a 1925 Pacific. I reading these forum its recommended to switch to rollers. I'd like to do the work myself and covert the bunks to rollers and while I'm at it re-build the hubs and brakes. Does anyone have pointers or recommendations about this process? Would anyone recommend getting rid of this trailer and switching to a dual axel? Thank you for your time.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Carpet Bunk to Roller Conversion EZ Loader 1925 Pacific

Post by kmorin »

p'pepper, unless you add lots and lots of rollers- you'd risk more point load damage to the skiff bottom due to highway speed (trailering) impact- on the roller to bottom locations.

I'd go with plastic bunk covers and all that's needed is to put them over the bunks- they're ribbed plastic that drains and water away and doesn't hold it against the hull bottom plate surfaces. Probably a lot less work, lower cost and better results.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
PappaPepper
Donator '20

Post by PappaPepper »

Great! Thank you Kevin!!

Is this what you were talking about? http://store.ezloader.com/content/image ... 8_320.jpeg
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

p'pepper,
yep that's the general product- but some aftermarket bunk covers are 8' long so less pc to fit? maybe that image was just an example? I've also used different (cheaper) plastics but the ribs let water evaporate or run off.

Long ago, before formed bunk covers- and under severe budget constraints we used vinyl carpet runner !!! We'd buy it in long lengths at the carpet/flooring store and then staple the cut strips under the bunks' lower edges. Long, stripped/ridged of vinyl did the same thing- but they were softer and did wear out after trailering skiffs on AK'an (low) quality roads.

No water against the hull=no pitting. Bunks do distribute the trailer loading to a wider area than a roller wheel's 1"x width so improves the trailer wt bearing of the boat with less point loading.

HOWEVER; if rollers are well placed, that is on the framing points both longitudinal and transverse- they work fine. The problem comes from putting rollers in the "field" between framing on the hull plate. Then... this is key to damage by rollers: using nylon cargo straps and putting 15tonnes of tension on a boat's bottom! Once the plate is super loaded, and probably deformed... then highway imperfections "finish" the job.

As the boat is towed at 60mph on the trailer, where its preload is near the max deformity of PLASTIC deformation.... then the impact, vibration and constant up/down ADDED loading works to fatigue the hull. ALMOST all these fatigue cracks will happen at the adjacent framing elements' weld HAZ. This proves the too tight straps with a too small point load- are the causes of the trailer induced damage.

Bunks, on the other hand, distribute the hull's mass over huge areas, by comparison to a roller- or even a series of rollers. So using plastic covers on bunks is welded boat friendly unless the rollers are well positioned and carefully installed.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic