Finally ordered a boat

General boating discussion
Trousertrout

Finally ordered a boat

Post by Trousertrout »

Thanks guys and gals for all the information on this site. It's been a couple years of research. Decided to go with the duckworth 30xl. I test drove one with twin 300 Yamahas. It went well but it only had 10 gallons of fuel and 3 guys and no gear. It topped out at 50mph. I decided to go with mercury 350's and a 25hp kicker. I figured that I may have 5000 more pounds on board with fuel, fish,ice, gear and people. I'm hoping to get better mpg with the extra horsepower considering the tank is only 225 gallons with no room for adding. Decided on a shitter. Deleted the stove and fridge and putting a bench there. Turning the fishbox on transom into a livewell. Going to have both controls at rear helm. Loading it up with simrad electronics. 16" up front and one at the rear helm. 24 halo radar, autopilot and a nice sound system. Trying to rig it for multi species (halibut, swordfish, bluefin). It will be a December build so it will be a while for pics
wooldridge26

Re: Finally ordered a boat

Post by wooldridge26 »

Trousertrout, just a heads up! I do not know anything about the Duckworth set up, but if it is anything like the Wooldridge 26' super sport offshore pilot house (square transom box) I would advise not to use the transom box. I have been there and done that and really good designing bait tanks, Just would like to save you $ and grief. I am a tuna chaser in Southern California, if you wanna chat? bschell@ca.rr.com good luck with you boat.

Schellebration
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

Thanks for the reply. I am having them rounded all corners on the fish box
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

t'trout, congratulations on your new boat coming out this next year.

Kind of curious, how many gallons of water, or what volume is the live tank on the transom? @ 10/lb. to the gallon, it won't take long to put some serious wt aft?

Not sure if a 30' hull's wt. and balance would be upset enough to end up with the hull's designed waterline pitched up by the bow? But... just curious if an outboard powered boat that already has lots of weight aft, with a transom mounted water tank (?) wouldn't be a potential to have the hull "down by the stern"?

Just curious, about the volume this tank will hold? not familiar with live wells.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

Not sure on volume. The boat is rated for twin 425hp though. I will get back to you on the volume. Thanks
wooldridge26

Post by wooldridge26 »

The transom box is about 43 gallons of water + or - that's what it is on the Wooldridge and they look very similar. You not only have to round out the corners but you have to round out the ends also, and then you have to round out the back long side and round out the front long side, The fish (bait) at $50 to $75 a scoop will be fishburgers. There is so much energy produced on the water from the boat rolling port to starboard in a long sided square fishbox water is flying everwhere even with two fish box tops down. The salesman will tell you OH! all the guys make these into live bait wells! and when you get done fishing drain the water and it turns into a Pizza Oven, your friends will love it!!! Trousertrout I have been trying for a 18 months made all kinds of baffles, inverted 2 1/2 lip into and all around the tank to stop the splash and hammer on the bait. I now have a 35 gallon round tank that sits center cockpit strapped to the transom. You are just getting ready to build, your in great shape, they will build you anything you want? But in the end that square sided live well will not work and you pissed all that money away. One fisherman looking out for another.
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

I really appreciate it. Sounds like I will save my money and stick with my portable 55 gallon. That will save me around $500. I decided last minute to do verados. Have been hearing horror stories on the "other 2". Guys waiting 2 months for parts and so on. Anyone running the 350 verados?
jj225
Your location: So Cal

Post by jj225 »

Woolie26 is correct about the bait sloshing around. Tried it once. Only good thing is it'll weed out all but the strongest of baits lol. Put your bait tank in the middle of your deck. It's way better there. DO NOT hang it off the back. Sorry but I couldn't disagree more with Woolie26 on that point. There is no comparison to swim step and middle of deck. I mean no comparison. Had it both ways.
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

I am dealing with hardier baits then you guys I believe because I east coast and gulf of Mexico fish. Hard tails in the gulf and mackerel in the Atlantic. My 55 gallon on the stern corner works well but most of the time I am catching bait where I fish.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic