Hello again.

Introduce yourself here
gandrfab

Hello again.

Post by gandrfab »

Feels like I should start over it's been so long.

1st WTF did Jettywolf do to his boat?

I'm still doing the boat T-top and tower work.
Had to relocate my shop from Sanford Fl and I moved to a small airport hangar in Edgewater Fl.
Last shop was 25'x100' with a 13'wX14'tall door new shop is 50'x50' with a 50'x16' door.
Recommendation if you are ever going to build a work shop look into hangar doors.

I'm liking the new customer base much better.
Same amount of miles to work but far less traffic.

Hi again, Matt
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Hello again.

Post by kmorin »

G & R, welcome back, glad to hear about increased "room to move" in a bigger shop but... missing some photos of the latest pipe and tube work??

Captain Dave had a fuel tank issue not long ago- I think there's a post of some of the removal and replacement here somewhere? I was more interested in the old tank and bilge images than Dave was interested in posting them. I think there was lots of good quality information that wasn't fully addressed for the full education of the Forum? But, Dave is a busy guy so the many important points of his tank failure remain unexplored or at least not as conclusive as serious investigation and photography would reveal.

Suffice to say, mill scale intact in a welded aluminum boat's bilges; tank design and water bottoms planning and maintenance; bend radius for different thickness and alloys; bilge ventilation; are all topics that are raised by the photos of his old tank's failure, yet they remain unresolved regarding that particular boat.

Glad you're back, what about treating us old welders to some fancy new pipe work images?

PS have a couple sticks of the Taco Metals 3" & 4" by 1-1/4" oval section extrusion (think its 6063?) do you see this stuff in your work? Do you know how to bend it? Was considering making a set of dies of plastic or wood to test out a bend but just curious if you'd seen this material bent?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
AAB.com "Millscale Gnat-Zee"
kmorin
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

I still haven't been much for taking pictures. Mostly repair since moving.

I have bent 1" x 1.5" and 2" oval with the 3/4" pipe dies up to 90° making tower steps.

I have never tried bending 3" or 4" oval.

I saw a picture of Jettys boat with a half top on facebook.
I was thinking a T-top would be a much more fishable application.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Hey Matt, I was asking about bending 3" and 4" oval the 'flat' way so the long tube would bend - hopefully without collapsing? Not the 'hard way' or across the widest dimension. Anyway, we'll see how the experiments show up the results?

I hadn't seen the JettyWolf skiff since the top was added, I like the curved struts aft but the forward most upper pipes might have been bent or rolled to match the intermediate lines of the lower horizontals? seems like that would give a nicer looking profile to the top's lower tube frame. The lower side pipe/tube has a roll that is turned up- so a roll then bend to the forward pieces seems like the lines would be more pleasing?

Not sure about the fishing method? Maybe he fishes everyone's rod over the stern and so the full width side to side to cover isn't in the way of walking around the console to fish?

As to pictures; repair, re-welds, modifications and any other pipe and tube work is still interesting to those of us who only get to see that kind of work- once in a while! Pls consider using your phone to click-a-pic now and then, post up a remark or two and let us know what's going on in your shop?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic