Narrowing it down

A Place to Show and Tell
Trousertrout

Narrowing it down

Post by Trousertrout »

Finally getting to the niddy griddy. I am in Cleveland Ohio so it is hard for me to see these sexy fishing machines in person. I think I have it narrowed down between a 28 duckworth, weldcraft, rocksalt and a few others. I mostly fish lake erie but occasionally trailer to Gloucester, Massachusetts and Venice, Louisiana. I need a boat to do 100 miles their and back. Is able to sleep 4(comfort is not a necessity). Also self bailing is a must. The question I have is, do I have to change anodes every time I go from fresh to salt water? What if the boat is docked in brackish water in the Mississippi but I am heading out to the gulf? Will it even matter. Thanks for any info. Many more questions to come
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Narrowing it down

Post by Chaps »

Aluminum anodes would be suitable for any waters. Have fun shopping and welcome to AAB!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

T'Trout, just a note about the
Trousertrout wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:43 pm I think I have it narrowed down between a 28 duckworth, weldcraft, rocksalt and a few others.
In my design, building, and boating experience from the 1970's on: that translates to:
"I am considering a 1995 Ford Econ-o-van- or a 1998 chevy double-cab, Silvarado or a hand made, one-off, Ferrari.... or a few others"
I'm hoping you might realize the wide scope or your statement, the distance from the two production boats to the super high performance "welded aluminum Cigarette boat" of the Rock Salt's hull form??? I'm not sure I'd have stated you'd narrowed the field of potential boat buys -to: Y o u' v e ---- s t r e c t h e d the field!!! I think you're still considering a very, very wide spread of designs!!! (?)

(IMO) There's some real differences between a Rock Salt and both production builders' boats!!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
wdlfbio

Post by wdlfbio »

Sleeping 4 in a 28' doesn't leave much room for a fishing cockpit.
The 2017 LUMACAT SportCat
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

wdlfbio wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:45 pm Sleeping 4 in a 28' doesn't leave much room for a fishing cockpit.
Can be done-but sacrifices must be made. Our deck is tiny-like 8'x6' ish. We did not compromise on cabin space and the deck suffered. If we went with a head below the V berth, and let the passengers not have the option of facing forward at the dinette, we could have gained a few more feet.

The dinette converts to a bunk, but you had better be friends/kids. The V berth will sleep three close friends, but is much more appropriate for 2. We have a hanging bunk that is probably the largest/longest sleeping spot on the boat, it hangs above the dinette.

We can comfortable sleep 4 adults, or 2 adults and 3 kids in a 28'
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

Have you considered going with a beam greater than 8' - 6"?

I currently have a 28' x 10' aluminum boat in the design phase, there is a huge increase in useable space.

Jon
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

Currently I sleep 4 in my 25ft trophy. It is crammed. We all sleep back to back. There is a strict "no rolling over rule". I would consider a 9'6". I am sure I would get used to trailering it. I average about 10,000 miles of towing a year. I am not looking for speed. Looking for softest ride. I appreciate all feedback.
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

If ride is most important I would try to find a variable deadrise hull design, many aluminum boat hull designs are constant deadrise which gives
more useable space but not as good a ride due to fuller shaped forward & bow sections.

My boat under design is a variable deadrise hull because ride & seakeeping are most important to me.

Jon
wdlfbio

Post by wdlfbio »

Softest ride in windchop and many other reasonable conditions, boat length and width being similar, will be a catamaran. No question. If you want tin, Armstrong, ACI Boats, and Lee Shore come to mind. If glass is doable, then glacier bay or world cat (semi displacement vs planning hulls, respectively). Most, newer 28' or greater cats will let you run WOT IN 2-3' windchop while drinking your tea.

My buddy is USAF. When they were training and in bivy situations he said this was the rule...

Pole to pole or hole to hole. But NEVER pole to hole! Hahaha

Maybe consider adding a simple camping canvas to whatever boat you get? Smaller cabin with larger cockpit area for fishing. Then, come evening, snap/zip your camping canvas in place and let a couple folks sleep under that. I had one on my 22' NR Commander and we could comfortably sleep 3 guy's and 3 dogs. Kept the small Mr Heater running at night to keep the chill down. Took about 10 minutes to set up and cost about $3k...
The 2017 LUMACAT SportCat
Trousertrout

Post by Trousertrout »

Thanks so much guys. I looked at mission marine when they were located in Ohio. They make some awesome aluminum cats. I also have been on every glass cat out there. The rocking when at drift really was a deal breaker. A canvas is an idea. I am installing air conditioning with heating so that would leak out through the doorway
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic