Something new...

Post your Alloy pictures here
MCNMachine

Something new...

Post by MCNMachine »

Yay or Nay? If anything, specs, and price are really good.
Attachments
cosmo22.jpg
JonH
Donator 21

Re: Something new...

Post by JonH »

What is LOA, beam, power, etc.?
MCNMachine

Post by MCNMachine »

22ft exact, 8ft 6inch width, tested with 150HP Fourstroke.
56Gal fuel tank.
2 people with 1/2 tank fuel topped out at 38 knots @ 2.9MPG on GPS.
Most economic cruise is 17.5 knots @ 5.1MPG, or 22.7 knots @ 4.8MPG

Anyone know other boat with same size and engine that does the similar speed and mpg? just curious here.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

MCNMachine, I'm a traditionalist in regard boat design, I'm all about curves in boats. Having built a few welded boats and worked my overly round stern off to achieve curved shapes (not having plastic deforming equipment) using flats, cylinders and conic forms of sheet metal- I'm more inclined to the difficult task of creating rounded forms over the more "industrial look".

Almost all of the forms I see here, with the exception of a chine curve peaking out of the water? , seem be be the result of a press brake. So I tend to look to other designers' work because this type of form is "faceted" not curved. Several builders are working in this form type- and way too many weather helms, dog houses, pilot houses and other cabins are designed using facets or bent plate panels. I personally find the result unattractive and somehow more agricultural than marine.

However, there's not accounting taste- and the old saw "Beauty is in the eyes of the Beholder" applies to boat designs as much as it does to all other design. Some like the 'hummer'/modern jeep form http://www.hdcarwallpapers.com/2017_hum ... apers.html while others prefer the older and classic swept fender lines of the Bugatti http://cfgfactory.com/downloads/show/51d24d33af7b2.

My point is that the boat shown is of the newer and more 'gunboat' industrial look - while I'm in the old school preference of long sweet curves. I have trouble with the OZ designs in a similar manner: I like the cabins farther (proportionally) aft but the 'best use' of the LOA is to crowd the cabin forward- but I just don't care for the look of that form.

Below are some of my skiff projects over the last decades, posted to show what I consider important in design of welded aluminum boats.

When I draw a skiff or build one, I work hard to get curves that are sweet and fair, perhaps not important to others? but to me? Those curves are critically important so I'm not inclined toward boats where their curves are given up for the press brake's bent panels.

Two more cents in the discussion of welded design; just my remarks on the look of the shape in your post: too many straight lines for my tastes. But being made of the Miracle Metal-she may well perform reliably, and if well maintained, be in service for many years?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Last edited by kmorin on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo's
kmorin
Frankzura1

Post by Frankzura1 »

I am an older "fisherman" that enjoys all boats. I am not an expert of boat design but I find most of your designs transformational. I love European designed boats with the 90 degree plumb bow for looks and a center console for that open feeling I would love to see a small out of the weather type canopy at the bow but also have the availability to release and retrieve the anchor. I would like to see a stern of no more than 19 to 21 degrees for stability. I personally think you are right on without being over the top. Congratulations.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic