Looking for designer for commercial boat

General boating discussion
ReelSong
Your location: central Or

Looking for designer for commercial boat

Post by ReelSong »

Id really like to build a 42' commercial Tuna boat similar to a down scaled version of a Rozema 50' Crabber or combo. Cant find anything in this range short of the Bruce Roberts designs. Any help would be appreciated. Looking for a proven hull design to run twin diesel Tuna boat with at least 10 ton fish hold capacity with the live aboard ability for 5 to 6 day trips.
Last edited by ReelSong on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
welder
Site Admin

Re: Looking for cutting file for comercial boat

Post by welder »

I wonder is Coldwaterboats would play with you?

Also give Chris Tucker a email [CTMD, here on AAB] , thats what he does.

And then talk to Kevin morin , Kmorin here on AAB.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Post by welderbob »

That might not be the easiest design to buy as a stock design. When they get that big there are to many variables . You would be better off talking to a few designer. Give then your design criteria and see what they come up with. Walk the docks (Which I'm sure you already have ), look at something that is similar to what your looking. Give the builder a call and asked who did the design work. Depending on the level of detail your looking for a design could easily cost $25k.

Great project, go for it,
Welderbob
Katoh
Your location: A.C.T Australia.

Post by Katoh »

Besides Chris and Kevin you could also have a look at Boden Boats in Sydney
http://www.bodenboatplans.com/index.php?cPath=1&&page=4
Or another guy in Melbourne is Steve Chapple CNCmarine http://www.cncmarine.com.au/ , but I'm not sure if he does in larger stuff.
Cheers
Katoh
I maybe slow, but I'm bloody rough!
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Gonna be tough to get 20 ton capacity in a boat that size unless you are doing rsw in the holds, especially with twins. Need room for big gensets and fuel too. Blast frozen fish are worth twice as much.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

Reel, let me weigh in with the other replies.
I don't think you can get 20 tons in a 40LOA hull, even at Rozema's 'beamy' designs, when you're in the class of boat described I'm not sure anyone has stock designs because they're for "fishermen**"

All designers, All builders and All crew know: "If you have 10 fishermen you have 20 final and absolutely unarguable opinions of how do whatever is being discussed". This fact means designers can't provided stock designs for commercial boats because the designs won't sell regularly enough to return the costs to create the original design.

I'll suggest your best course is to begin by selecting a design office w NW fishing experience, in aluminum, and with more than four hulls in this class. Then without paying to retain them, find four shops who will work with that designer's work, and then begin paying for the design, and showing the preliminaries to the various shops and find out who's combination of designer and builder can happen in the time frame you need, for the money you can afford.

I'm not aware of any 20 ton fishing boat built off of internet cutting files available for a 'nice low cost' accommodating a specific list of features and design elements that will solve one Skippers' needs.

The designing & building part of the commercial metal boat market in this particular niche of the metal boat world does not work that way.

With all the boats built in the last couple decades in the NW, I would consider seeing if Rozema or a comparable yard, had a catalog of past builds? By going to those records, going though that history, you may find a boat close enough to your original concept to reduce a scratch design cost- adapting the design you find closest to your goal? This may reduce the cost of a scratch design and allow the builder to give you a realistic figure for the build today?

(** Term used as "fishing for commerce" or commercial fishermen, not referring to recreational but similar truths avail.)

Good luck with your new boat project, sure is a lot I don't know, about your circumstances, so my remarks may not apply to your new boat.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Sorry Guys, maybe I should of clarified what I'm looking for. I'm not really looking for a stock design but suggestions on designers. I .love the Rozema. Crabber and combination style, this is what I'm looking for in 40 to 42 feet . I will be the builder. While not a certified. expert builder, we are getting our coastguard certification now. I have several rebuilds to my credit and five complete new builds including my current offshore 6 pack boat the ReelSong as seen here on the site. I lean on folks like K Moran for expert advise when needed. This boat will not be for sale but used as a tuna troller and jig boat for my brother and I. Brother currently owns his own Bristol Bay gill netter and has been fishing on crab boats in Ak for 30 years. I have three commercial tuna seasons under my belt and 20 plus as a guide and sporty . Folks don't like to give up there designers readily when your looking to build a similar style boat to something they build. And I don't fault them for that. As far as fish holds 20 ton may be asking a bit much so at an average weight of 20 lb.s rounded up say 2000 fish or 10 ton max which would be a better then average 5 day trip with a more realistic goal of 750 fish. Along with our fab shop I've been a commercial refrigeration mechanic for 30 years so either RSW , spraybrine, blast freeze,or eutectic plates I'll be doing refrigeration install also. Right now I'm just in the research stage but will spend the money for my design. Build won't commence til current boat sales. If all goes well I have four years to be moving into my semi retirement commercial fishing adventure.
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Reel, OK that makes your search; for design offices not for cut files online!

It sounds odd to me, that owners of attractive boats would not be proud to share their designer's names? I have asked countless proud owners if this or that boat was "a Monk" or "a Garden" or other guesses on my part, and one an all (if they knew) they replied with the designer's name. Some people did confuse the builder for the designer, but usually they were not the original owners so they weren't involved one on one with both people in the build.

What about looking for a WA State registration of these types of offices? Add in BC's designers and then begin by sending a form letter to each design office to see who'd reply? Should be quite a list of people to choose among?

Also, if Rozema does in house design (?) you won't know if they'll part with one of their designs for an owner/build boat until you ask. This would be true for other builders who have in house designs. If you won't be able (by contract) to sell the design information even builders with proprietary designs may be willing to sell a plans set for boats they're not planning to build again? So one of their older 40-46'ers' plans set may be sitting on the shelf waiting to have an offer?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
ReelSong

Re: Looking for designer for comercial boat

Post by ReelSong »

Kevin, this is exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm just beginning the process, I will take your advice and start with Rozema and go from there. I was hoping Maybe someone here had some designers contact info. I know this is primarily a sport boat site and most designers I've contacted in the past won't look at anything this size or branding of commercial fishing boat. Ill keep posted up and let you know how the search is coming along. Thanks again , I've learned a lot over the last couple years just reading your comments and appreciate your constant sharing of knowledge. Terry
kmorin

Re: Looking for designer for commercial boat

Post by kmorin »

Reel, here's a designer that may or may not still be working, he's been doing this a while, I find his work very well thought out and when he's allowed free rein his lines are elegant, and he's done lots of work in your project's class of boat. His website shows enough for you to see his expertise in your inquiry.

http://simpsonmarinedesign.com/stock-pl ... l-vessels/

Wish I knew more designers, but John Simpson is one I'd always contact if I were looking for a design like you've described.

I also have tremendous respect for Bill Lincoln at Response, on the other coast, but he won't have done as many Pacific fisheries boats, and probably would build with (welder)Bob's guys over someone closer to your house.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, Ak
kmorin
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Thanks Kevin, I'll give John Simpson a shout. I've seen several of Bill Lincoln's designs, Jim Norvell has built several and they are well thought out boats. I'll give Rick Whelin, who did the hull design on ReelSong, a shout also . I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks again Terry
CWB
Sponsor

Post by CWB »

ReelSong, not sure if this interests you or not but we do have the 32x15 AllPoints almost completely programmed now. It is our design that we have Steven Pollard do the programming work for us. If interested, we could work out a deal and help you stretch it out? Otherwise you might track down the Nicholas Diversified Bros., they might have something on file also.

Best of Luck.
CWB
Attachments
RANDY LARRY 2011 014.jpg
RANDY LARRY 2011 014.jpg (41.97 KiB) Viewed 11686 times
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Thanks a bunch Id defintley like to take a look that as a posibility, I really like Kiwi and Bruces boats I I think that boat stretched to 40 or 42 would be an incredible tuna machine. I ll give you a shout after Christmas and converse a bit about it.

Terry
CWB
Sponsor

Post by CWB »

No problem ReelSong. This is my dads thing. If anything he surely can point you in the right direction. I believe this design with some small tweeks it might work out well for you? I found this finished running shot.
Attachments
NetIncomeRunning.jpg
NetIncomeRunning.jpg (108.27 KiB) Viewed 11639 times
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Another Dream boat of mine.Terry Get-er-done.

Bruce, Brandon And Russ Work just on the West Side of Pacific Skiffs. Good Boat Design that can be Modded any way you want :smitty: You have the Skills
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Thanks John, appreciate the vote of confidence. I'll secure plans and or cutting file in 2014 but probably wont start til current boat sales.
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Really starting to struggle a bit here. Trying to find that perfect hull design. I've talked with several folks now and thought I'd settled on CWB 's Bristol bay design stretched to 42 x 15 then I spoke with Bruce and he's not sure it's what I'm looking for in speed , ride and handling characteristics in a commercial boat. I know I'm asking a lot but I'm looking for 42 x ?.. that will cruise at least 15 to 18 knts when empty with power to spare, fish holds for at least 14000 lbs in spray brine system, big enough pilot house to sleep and live with four on board for five to 6 days at a shot. OF COURSE I want it to take a 10 foot sea like it's wind chop and look like something my wife would be proud of. :doh: I really like the CWB look, just maybe a deeper V and sharper bow. I KNOW IT OR MY DESIGNER IS OUT THERE. AND Bruce is sending me some pictures , study plans and ideas.If anyone has pictures of the perfect tuna boat I'm all ears and eyes.
Pelagic Boats
Your location: Victoria Australia

Post by Pelagic Boats »

I would be talking to Chris Tucker from CTMD,http://www.ctmd.com.au/
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Perfect tuna boat? Jigs & jack poling?

I really like this one
JackPoling.jpg
JackPoling.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 11511 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
jj225
Your location: So Cal

Post by jj225 »

Just curious but what type of fuel numbers do you want to get pushing a 42' boat at 15-18 knots.
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

It needs to be capable of 15 to 18 but most of the time it will be trolling between 5 to 6 knts. My hopes are to get around 4 gph at 10 knts but it will be what it will. I also like the boat above lines but I'm looking for alloy build not glass. I sent off emails to Nicholas bros and Simpson yesterday on a couple of there designs for quotes so well see. The bidding war has started all of the sudden on my boat and there are three interested parties and all seem to be in a hurry to buy so well see what happens in the days to come.
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

The more I investigate, the more I realize that a 10 knt .boat with big single may be what happens to have enough room for the fish holds I'm after in this size boat.
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

Obviously if you're interested we can help, but in the mean time a couple of names come to mind when thinking about these boats in Australia

Mark Ellis
Gavin Mair
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Chris,thanks for the info. Right now I'm looking at Simpsonmarinedeisgn.com and working with John on getting there 42 x14 plan lofted. After spending some time with John on the phone I believe this plan may fit my current needs. THANKS Kevin for the contact and John says hello. He is semi retired but working on just what he's calling his stock designs. Fortunately this stock design K/3D should fit the bill once lofted. I can spend the time doing layout or spend the money on lofting.
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Russ thanks for the offer and thank your dad for the study pages but I think he's right and appreciated him steering me in the right direction.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic