aluminum boat advise

General boating discussion
gulfislander
Your location: BC

aluminum boat advise

Post by gulfislander »

Hello all,
new member to this forum. Big thanks already to all members, been learning so much from browsing. I'm hoping to switch up my boat in the next year and hoping for a bit of advise and insight from any members who wish to comment. I live close to victoria b.c so looking for advise from some canadian members with local experience!
I grew up running aluminums as a kid and now Looking to take the leap into the aluminum boat market for myself. Ideally looking for a 17'-18'ish plus a pod w/ 4 stroke power (90 hp and up) or etec power. walk through windsheid with canvas top. trying to keep hull weight down for towing and fuel economy. I've kept my eyes on the used market for quite a while but aluminums go fast when the come up! went to a couple of local dealerships for the first time in my life to look at brand new boats! pretty scarry concept but worth looking around and was actually quite surprised at the price of this silverstreak(which i have always loved the design of)

http://www.sgpower.com/pre_owned_det...h=2783668&nv=y
list price is $28 999 w/90 yamaha and trailer! definatly abase model compared to ordering from silverstreak but that price is good!

also stopped in at sherwood marine
to check out the hewes sportsman and searunner. definatly pricier and more of a "production" boat but some nice features to be had.

anyone have any experience with either of these boats? other good deals to be had out there? quite open to suggestions as i want this boat to be just right! also anyone with experience with either of those dealerships please comment on customer service!

my top line is $30 000. hoping that gives enough information to get some help from this great forum!

cheers
Fisherman
Your location: Central CA

Re: aluminum boat advise

Post by Fisherman »

Can't get your link to work! PM me if you're interested in a 20' w/90 hp motor...I may know of one available.
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... -_17094825

try this link its on a differnt site but the dealer is sg power in victoria
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Check out the Silver Streak web site??????

http://www.silverstreakboats.com/index. ... &itemid=14

It is a buyers market deals are to be had.

How do you plan on using her??????

Custom Silver Streaks..... Do not always believe what you read on the internet..... but makes you want to do more research http://silver-streak-aluminum-boats.pis ... 38588.html
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

thanks mojomizer,
i'm on silver streaks website almost dayly drooling over there boats. and i have read those poor customer relations reports but i've never heard one person say a single bad word about the boat itself. the 17' runabout s/t model would be ideal and would order it from silverstreak but by the time i powered and put her on a trailer i would be over my budget.

and thanks i forgot to mention that i'll be useing her about 50/50 for fishing and pleassure use cruzing the gulf islands

cheers
HavnFun
Your location: Cedar City, UT

Post by HavnFun »

I love my Raider. Recommend you check them out. Either the 172 or 182 Pro-sport with a 90 Honda will make a very comfortable, safe, economical boat perfect for island fun.
http://www.raiderboats.com/

Good Luck, Tom
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Silver Streak has been on my radar for some time. I think they are a down and dirty builder that builds a quality boat. I know they have a reputation of being late on their builds. And when you spend that kind of money you want quality and on time delivery however good things come to those who wait :mrgreen:

In your neck of the woods you have plenty of options. Look here at Wooldridge as well :thumbsup: Beautiful boats :clap:

Good luck :beer:
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

I would buy a Silverstreak, but only if it was already built, and I could examine before purchase.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
glen wooldridge
Sponsor
Your location: Seattle WA

Post by glen wooldridge »

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Hours: Monday through Friday
7:30AM to 4:00PM
icondonj
Your location: Snohomish WA

Post by icondonj »

Funny, I'm currently trying to decide between a Silver Streak CC and a Wooldridge CC 21’. I’ve seen the Wooldridge factory and like the structural design of their boats even with the lighter gauge. I haven’t seen the Silver Streak factory and their design, but I’m skeptical about the value of injected foam used in any alloy boat. It seems like one more thing to worry about with marginal benefits - does saturated closed cell foam have positive bouncy?
jj225
Your location: So Cal

Post by jj225 »

icondonj wrote:Funny, I'm currently trying to decide between a Silver Streak CC and a Wooldridge CC 21’. I’ve seen the Wooldridge factory and like the structural design of their boats even with the lighter gauge. I haven’t seen the Silver Streak factory and their design, but I’m skeptical about the value of injected foam used in any alloy boat. It seems like one more thing to worry about with marginal benefits - does saturated closed cell foam have positive bouncy?
What would worry me more than soggy foam would be the corrosion that comes with it.

There's more than a complaint about S.S. on the internet. Seems to be quite infamous for it too. One or two you kind of take it with a grain of salt. Get more and you really have to think about it imo. That's what happened to me with another builder (although I actually talked to boat owners). You have to really think whether or not you want to take a chance with someone after dropping 10's of thousands of dollars on a boat, only to have them more or less tell you to kiss their azz after you take the boat off the lot. IMO how one is taken care of after you buy the boat is just as important as the buying process. Actually, probably even more so than the actual purchase. But hey. if you live close by it may not be an issue as you could drop the boat out front with a nasty sign on it lol. :rotfl:
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Combative, un-communicative people run boat building companies? Never! Ever deal with Andy at Maxweld or Edwin at Edwing? :clap: :clap:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

just sent off a email to the closest raider dealership to see if they have any on the ground that i could check out. looks like a well put together boat.
cheers

HavnFun wrote:I love my Raider. Recommend you check them out. Either the 172 or 182 Pro-sport with a 90 Honda will make a very comfortable, safe, economical boat perfect for island fun.
http://www.raiderboats.com/

Good Luck, Tom
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

Thanks glen,
that does look like a nice little boat. 'm a huge fan of the larger wooldridge boats (especially that new build for Superfishial) but unfortunatly i'm quite partial to the three part front windsheild.

cheers
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

They are both very fine boats but i share your skepticism of injected foam.
icondonj wrote:Funny, I'm currently trying to decide between a Silver Streak CC and a Wooldridge CC 21’. I’ve seen the Wooldridge factory and like the structural design of their boats even with the lighter gauge. I haven’t seen the Silver Streak factory and their design, but I’m skeptical about the value of injected foam used in any alloy boat. It seems like one more thing to worry about with marginal benefits - does saturated closed cell foam have positive bouncy?
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

I have a Raider 185 Pro with hull extension for the OB...I can't say I love my Raider but she is done well for the bucks...I'd get one with the forward alloy deck it is an option. The engine extension is all part of the hull bottom plates, not welded on later...makes her 20' and a good ride...the dif between the 182 and 185 is the deep V the 185 is deeper and takes the rough stuff nicely out here in the Sound...but if it is lakes and some salt I'd go for the 182 or 192. When at rest she is more stable with a flatter bottom. I noticed on the new boats some issues I have are handled...good for them...they did listen to thier customers. Now they need to mount the wipers at the top of the windshield so it will not screw up a magnetic compass in fornt of the steering wheel...I think i'll move mine this spring.

Good luck looking!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
jj225
Your location: So Cal

Post by jj225 »

Yes and Maxweld is no longer in biz. Didn't Edwing stop building for a while as well? Personally, if a builder treats you like a $hit BEFORE you even buy the boat I wouldn't have anything to do with the guy or if his reputation preceeded him. Beauty of the internet is you can find out a whole lot about someone before moving forward. At least you can go into a deal with eyes wide open and shame on you if it goes south afterward. Buying a boat is no easy thing as I think we have information over load. Downside to the internet lol!
glen wooldridge
Sponsor
Your location: Seattle WA

Post by glen wooldridge »

1st) You mentioned a 21' Wooldridge, West Coast Marine that has the 17' Offshore, also has a great deal on a 21' Super Sport Offshore Cuddy. If interested, contact the same guy at West Coast Marine.

2nd) Structural Designs:

Some boats use heavier gauge bottoms and less structure. The strength of a bottom is two things. The bottom gauge and the support (or structure) of the bottom. Labor costs more than aluminum, so it costs less to use 1/4" in a 20' boat with less structure, compared to more support with a 3/16" bottom.

3rd) Saturated closed cell foam does lose its bouyancy. When foam is sprayed in a boat, it's two parts, A & B. It mixes when sprayed and fills in the area its sprayed into. It's warm when its expanding. When it cools off, it contracts a little, leaving slight voids along rails, stringers, bulkheads, etc. If water gets under the floor, it gets into these voids. When the boat is in freezing weather conditions, water expands and breaks the adjacent foam cells, causing them to soak up water when it thaws. If the boat is exposed to lots of freezing and thawing, eventually the foam will become water-logged. Glen
Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Hours: Monday through Friday
7:30AM to 4:00PM
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Riverview, FL

Post by dave »

I am going to buy a little bigger boat in a year or so. Silver Streak has a model I really like. I will be going to Victoria to test drive a similar boat. He does have rentals, so I can evaluate it on the water. I will take the warnings at face value. I have heard no complaints, unseaworthyness issues, or short commings from finished boats. SS is still on my short list of builders.
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

You will enjoy the experience. Well built and look great! what model are you interested in?

dave wrote:I am going to buy a little bigger boat in a year or so. Silver Streak has a model I really like. I will be going to Victoria to test drive a similar boat. He does have rentals, so I can evaluate it on the water. I will take the warnings at face value. I have heard no complaints, unseaworthyness issues, or short commings from finished boats. SS is still on my short list of builders.
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Riverview, FL

Post by dave »

The 18 ft runabout with a hardtop.
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

That would be my ideal boat but with the soft top. hoping to find one used though. getting one built is still a little out of my price range.
dave wrote:The 18 ft runabout with a hardtop.
stanthefisherman1970
Your location: 54115

Post by stanthefisherman1970 »

While shopping for my own aluminum boat, I came across the http://www.aluminumboatguide.com and have found it to be extremely helpful as far as comparing different manufacturer's models side-by-side. For Canadian aluminum boats, Princecraft makes a fine aluminum boat that you can run for years. Good luck on your search. :beer:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic