Re: Comparing Hulls

Post by Sea Lion »

I'm all eyes... can't wait. :joecool:
clamdigger
Your location: Gloucester, VA

Post by clamdigger »

Good Afternoon Kevin,

I found this thread while searching the internet for "flare and flam" as they are used completely differently in my area where most boats were built without plans. I started reading and have torn through the seven pages and am hungry for more. I know you are a busy man from reading your posts i just wanted you to know you have another student in the classroom, even if the old guys say you got flare and flam wrong. They also use a ton of chemicals and never once wore masks :mrgreen:

Looking forward to your next post,
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Comparing Hulls

Post by kmorin »

Clam, you know nautical terms are pretty widely confused, a work skiff in the Chesapeake is (called) a 'surf dory' in Oregon's saltwater. I'm using terms from reference books so I'll just defer to them for definitions used here. Ton's of people on the water don't know a tonne from a ton, so it goes.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-d ... 41046.html here's more on one term
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... at-is-Flam and a little chat about the two terms compared.

I'm not planning to work on this topic again anytime soon as I've begun lots of other projects and this one has reached a heavy-on-the-illustrations stage of discussion. I knew that stage was coming but at the time I had the time, however, at this time I don't have time, to illustrate this topic.

From here on, the shapes have to be compared in similar circumstances and the different sets of circumstances have to be drawn (sea states) and the hulls put in the to show the effects of different proportions of shape (lines sets) on that set of circumstances (Sea state, load, HP/Disp. Ratio, heading, speeds and so on ....) so that some comparison can be made.

Needless to say, this is a 'non-trivial exercise' as my friend 'Allen the Engineer' says. So, while I'm glad you've enjoyed what was posted this far, the continuation is not planned yet.

What all this will show, and you all probably realize from years on the water is that the several groups of shapes have characteristics that perform well in different conditions, and the farther off soundings you go (more open ocean) the more the common denominator become ultimate sea states as priority for design. So after drawing for (lots of) hours I'd be able to show the sets of forces acting on the hulls as a result of their shapes, and make comparative shape and condition conclusions.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
WillWhiteside
Your location: Bodega Bay CA

Post by WillWhiteside »

ReelSong wrote:OR another one, custom built/ home made Rick Whelin design, fishit all summer 50 miles offshore average 10 hour days trolling, averaged 70 gallon fuel burn, average cruise between 24 and 28 knots WOT 46 knots stayed out and fished when most didnt, hull performs incredible and turns like a race car.
Is this the boat out of Schelleville, CA? I saw him out after Salmon last year once. Beautiful boat.
WW
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic