Land loving NOOB looking for Boat advice....

General boating discussion
bondoz
Your location: SFBay Ca

Land loving NOOB looking for Boat advice....

Post by bondoz »

I'm a first time boater and haven't a clue on what i'm doing so i'm hoping some of y'all could lend me some advice.
I'm in the Sf bay area and am looking for suggestion for a boat & motor to use in the local lakes, the upper delta areas and an occasional trip to the bay (if possible). It would mostly be just me and my son (8) so it doesn't need to be very big, just safe. I'm currently looking at the 1625 Jetcraft, Tracker V-16 WT and Klamath 16exw but i'm not really sure if they're the best choices, if y'all had any feedback good or bad it would be appreciated.

TIA, Kevin
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Re: Land loving NOOB looking for Boat advice....

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Have no idea what a jetcraft is, but seen a klamath and a Tracker's. I'm not a Bass Pro Shops brand boat fan, and that means Trackers. Certainly not close to any saltwater ready boat by any stretch. Plus the build on them isn't too swift. I have a thing about "rivets' holding parts and pieces togther. From last look.

You're on the right track though as far as aluminum goes. Make sure it's "welded aluminum", and can be used it saltwater.
IE: sacrificial anodes, or at least places to put them. Just like a aluminum outboard motor, even in fresh water you need them. So many small aluminum boats have none.

IF. and it's a big "if". You plan on being a boater for awhile. Just remember small is okay for now, but what about 5 years from now. When working the boat shows I used to tell people with growing families and kids who could turn into fishing nuts, "hopefully". It keeps their minds busy with momma nature and off the streets. Go happy "medium". Just incase...Just like a vehicle for growing families.

I'm a real exception. My first boat was a old Alumu-craft 14 footer. I owed it for 7 years. My second was a 19 glass boat, I owned it for ten years. My third was a 23' glass boat and I owned it for 10 years. Now I have a 26' aluminum and am never gonna buy another boat, at least that's the master plan.

Got any photos?

Hang around here long enough and you'll get alloy envy real quick like. Sometimes not all that good for the bank account.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Out of those picks I would go with the 18' Klamath and four stroke power.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

I second what welder recommended. I had an older 18' Klamath and it was a great skiff. We covered a lot of water with that boat.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Just got off the phone with Kenny down in So Cal at Tradewind Inflateables & Marine and he has a 19 Baja Bayrunner [ 2013] in stock if you want to step up just a little. It's a little tougher boat that with minimal maintenance will last a life time.
Kenny 949-335-8909 , I bought my Pacific23 there and WOULD buy again from Kenny.

Here is a link to www.twimarine.com >>>> http://www.twimarine.com/Bayrunner.pdf
Lester,
bondoz

Post by bondoz »

There seems to be a trend here, a bigger boat :thumbsup:
Being able to garage it is a very big plus for me, my opening is 95" and I get a little nervous if the beam is greater than 88" . A 18' and the Baja are something for me to consider so thank you.

I'm wondering why no one is endorsing the jetcraft, it's welded, seems to have a good reputation, is about the same price and has a .160" bottom vs .08" the klamath

K
Napa Mike
Your location: Bainbridge Island WA

Post by Napa Mike »

The jetcraft boats are ok. I think folks on this site are more familiar with the kingfisher line of boats made by the same company. They are decent for a production type boat. But there have been a few folks with complaints about them. Good luck with your boat search--it is a big part of the fun.

Mike
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Bonds , the bottom of the Klamath is .100 or about 1/8" and the sides are .08 not to mention they are made in your back yard .
:mrgreen:

I had a 1985 18' Bay runner [older version] and it flexed some , the newer ones are a lot tougher yet easy to pull . I drug mine all over SoCal with a 4cyl Toyota pickup for 5 years.
Lester,
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Riverview, FL

Post by dave »

The Klamath has a good design and good freeboard. I really like the way they look. It was one of the boats I was considering. I got an Alumaweld so I would be OK if I hit an oyster bed. A little more expensive than the Klamath for a first boat.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

14' to 16' to 18' to 19'

Heck Pacificskiffs makes a 23' .........All kidding aside.

What is your budget?....... What will be your primary usage Now and in the future??????

How much usage in a year?????

If you are really starting out from scratch.... maybe boat rentals at your local lake. Fishing fresh water lakes in California has gotten a little more complicated because of enviromental concerns............. No 2 stroke engines for the most part. Oil in the exhaust. Spreading Evasive species (Quagga and Zebra Mussels some aquatic plants ect..... ect....) Passing access inspections.

Sometimes renting, testing the waters and knowing a Boat belongs in your life is step 1.

Step2 Budget and cost of owning......... Property Tax, Registration and tags. Insurance, Storage concerns, upkeep costs. Adding electronics. Safety Equipment. Fishing equipment. Towing vehicle.

Step3 Now knowing you have the Budget and the Fortitude of owning and a little knowledge of what you want :thumbsup:
Finding that little ship of your dreams ....... are you mechanically inclined... great at refurbishing and have creative visions, maybe a used boat and boat projects with your young son is a good thing. A shiny new boat is always great too. It is a process of knowing and comfort what you really want. It is a personal choice you must make. Not many people I know just jumped into Owning and lasted. I believe everyone who has posted on this thread have owned other boats starting small......If you already know you can bypass alot of costs in upgrading.

Step4 Doing your home work....... finding a dealership if deciding to buy new. A great mechanic and surveyor if buying used. Sea trialing every boat on your wish list. These people are going to be who you will be dealing with for a long time. If you do not like or trust them "do not buy the boat from them" A great relationship with the dealership or mechanic is a great thing...... I know welder and I have :thumbsup:

You are in a buyers market....(great news for you :thumbsup: ) do your homework and negotiate. Alot of great little boats out there. Check out Chaps great thread on boat manufactures here.... Come back with a long list of potential boats.

Chaps thread right here....... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=169

Have fun involve your son in some way. Shopping and testing alot of boats is a fun process learning alot on the way.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
bondoz

Post by bondoz »

Mojo, i used to have a boat a (21' glass cutty) many years ago. i bought it cheap and fixed it and fixed it and fixed it and then fixed it some more. From that experience i learned that boats ain't cheap, i dont like working on boats, and i hate cleaning and waxing em even worse :banghead: The idea of low maintenance indestructible metal boat seems pretty good.

But that was then and this is now. I don't know anything about these new fancy metal boats, how they handle, their tendencies, whats good and whats not. I'm looking to absorb the knowledge and get some suggestions for boats. My son didn't care for the minimalist boats (aka 10' row boat) so we're looking at a 16-18' family/fish vessel now. Between the local fresh water lakes and the Bays I'm hoping we can fish year round and camp during the summer before he turns into a teenager and excommunicates me cause i'm old.

bondoz
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

My appologies.... so you do know boats and the trials of F-Glass. Aluminum is durable but not indestructable. Well taken care of it can last decades. Corrosion is our worst enemy ............ http://www.kastenmarine.com/corrosion.htm

Maintenance is fairly easy. Care taken on setting up your electronics (proper grounding)....... proper zincs, there is a difference between fresh water and salt watewer zincs. Dissimilar metals IE... Brass and Aluminum do not work well together. Any wood that is pressure treated especially trailer bunk boards are bad.

I do own a 19 foot Valco Baja Bayrunner 25 Horse Honda 12 gallons and I could run all day. 27 miles at WOT handles on a dime that fits in a garage :rotfl: took out the cloth washer, dryer and sink (bachelor days) house now rented to Son in law. One day to be taken out when gas prices become too much of a burden on my Pacificskiff.

Bayrunner is now owned by Klamath....... still from what I see is a great light weight build. Since you live in or around a area that can be windy. These light style alloy boats do get blown around a bit. Advantages of fuel consumption, handling and trailerbility far excedes the negative in my opinion.

My first boat was a used old 14 foot Valco with 9 horse motor...... took it to the Long Beach breakwall regularly and alot of lakes too. Alway looking over my shoulder for bad weather. Handling on and off the the trailer was a really easy.

My second boat was a Tracker Sweet 16 25 horse motor handled the bays and lakes well. Back then was riveted but never had a problem ...... Now I do believe they are all welded :thumbsup: Feel that they are more suited for fresh water.

Third boat and still owned........ 19 Valco Bayrunner already described that.

Fourth Boat Pacifickiff 23 Foot 5 foot Walk Around wiith 225 horse Honda........Wooooooo hooooooo is all I can say.

Then you start eyeballing something like Spoiled One's Glacier Craft :shocked:

Well those are the Alloys I have played with..... couldn't knock owning any one of them. They all had/have their purpose and limits.

Knowing what you need and what will fit that need, is most of the battle.

Anyone Else owned a smaller Alloy of a different make you can give a personal review of?????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
wetwhopper
Your location: Pacific Beach, WA.

Post by wetwhopper »

Kevin, It's definately a buyers market... I like Bayrunners Valcos, Gregors and Klamaths but definately would suggest you take a look @ some Alumawelds, Hewescrafts, North Rivers and Raiders too. Happy hunting!
:thumbsup:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
bondoz

Post by bondoz »

Thank You Whopper

I definitely was leaning towards the plate boats of the NW. Maybe you could answer a couple of questions?

- I have been told that they pound pretty hard in the chop (Dealer opinion on Duckworth and Jetcraft) Are any of the other plate boats better in the chop?
- Do the Alumacrafts have a self bailing bow?
- Any opinion or words of wisdom on a 16' Hewescarft Sportsman?

bondo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic