Custom 21' Wooldridge offshore center console

A Place to Show and Tell
Superfishial
Your location: PNW

Custom 21' Wooldridge offshore center console

Post by Superfishial »

I have really enjoyed following many of the builds on this website and I wanted to return the favor by documenting our custom Wooldridge build.

21' Super Sport Offshore with self bailing deck, 34" sides and 100 gal tank
Custom walk around center console with forward leaning windshield and hard top with enclosed head/sleeping pod.

beginnings...
beginnings...
bottom.jpg (92.12 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
sides
sides
2012.6.26 004 c.jpg (293.04 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
rear
rear
rear.jpeg (84.41 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
bow
bow
2012.7.23 005 c.jpg (241.95 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
Attachments
more structure
more structure
2012.7.25 008 c.jpg (270.48 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
welder
Site Admin

Re: Custom 21' Wooldridge offshore center console

Post by welder »

Cool....MORE pictures please.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

Nice! What will you be powering her with?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

I'll post as many pics as I can throughout the build. Grant has been awesome about photographing each step for our baby book :mrgreen:

E-tec 200 HO main and Yamaha T9.9 kicker. Gonna fly
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Be interested to see what the console looks like, sounds pretty cool.
What type and thickness aluminum is used on the hull?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Sweet.
Gong to be a cool build
Look at my Signature for R&D. We all do it if you have a welder and the desire to Replicate. I think a lot more 21' boats with self bailers and forts can be sold in the PNW. Southern Boys can keep the CCs. Rain in Jan thru May is Cold and wet. :popcorn:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Mac- 5052 & 5086 Grade A marine for the skin and 6061T6 inside with lots of structure

Goat- Thanks we are looking forward to the finished product. I've seen pics of Tin Lizzy- wicked boat! I chose a hardtop center console mostly for fishability with a little overhead protection because I'm in forks all winter/spring chasing steelhead anyway.

Here are a couple pics from today. The first one shows the extended bottom OS bracket (did I say 21'...) The second shows the underfloor storage which includes two dry/wet storage compartments along side the console that will drain into dual 85 gallon fish boxes in the rear with a drain plug fitting to seal them off. The fish boxes will be pumped out with gravity fed Whale diaphragm pumps.
Attachments
2012.7.26 004 c.jpeg
2012.7.26 004 c.jpeg (80.41 KiB) Viewed 17403 times
2012.7.26 005 c.jpeg
2012.7.26 005 c.jpeg (84.63 KiB) Viewed 17403 times
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

couple from yesterday
Attachments
2012.8.1 078 c.jpeg
2012.8.1 078 c.jpeg (69.01 KiB) Viewed 17320 times
2012.8.1 081 c.jpg
2012.8.1 081 c.jpg (287.05 KiB) Viewed 17320 times
Napa Mike
Your location: Bainbridge Island WA

Post by Napa Mike »

Shiny thing good!

Congrats on the new ride to come!

Mike
jj225
Your location: So Cal

Post by jj225 »

Is that an extended hull? Looks like it but I was under the impression that they didn't build one. Think they refered to it as a box bracket or something like that I can't remember. The 20' SS OS pilothouse doesn't have an extended bracket that is pictured on a seperate thread. I know because I asked about it. They said it was a full beam bracket but not an extended one because it provides better handling when at rest.
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Yes the bottom is extended to provide more flotation for the 625 pounds of power with the self bailing design and it will give a nice ride. Wooldridge has yet to make a 20' Super Sport Offshore Pilot and Glen please correct me if I'm wrong but the 20' Sport Offshore Pilots don't have self bailing decks and the 150's that go on them are light enough to not require extended hull type brackets. The higher top speed, fuel economy, and handling of a set back bracket makes more sense on a hull like the Sport Offshore.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Ya know the words; "Center console and Pacific Norwest" don't go together.

I'll have to see the finished product to give approval on that. :popcorn:
speedboats
Your location: New Zealand

Post by speedboats »

Is that a Fronius welder I saw?
jj225

Post by jj225 »

Didn't realize there was no "super" in the "sport" 20' model. The way the senior Wooldridge explained it over the phone to me it made it sound like the bracket on the 20' model was slicker than chit and a much better design. Maybe he was just being a salesman at that point. Quite frankly I like the idea of an extended bracket. Many boat builders use them.

The 20' doesn't have a self bailing deck but it can be added on and with the 150hp only being about 120lbs lighter you
wouldn't think it would make that much difference. Just add a standard bait tank on the back and it'll weigh more than
that. Kind of raises more questions imo regarding the 20' which is what I'm interested in.
Superfishial wrote:Yes the bottom is extended to provide more flotation for the 625 pounds of power with the self bailing design and it will give a nice ride. Wooldridge has yet to make a 20' Super Sport Offshore Pilot and Glen please correct me if I'm wrong but the 20' Sport Offshore Pilots don't have self bailing decks and the 150's that go on them are light enough to not require extended hull type brackets. The higher top speed, fuel economy, and handling of a set back bracket makes more sense on a hull like the Sport Offshore.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Geeze since I have been missing for a few........ Lots of great builds and Manufactures.

Superfishial serious cool build, That 21 S.S. Offhore pilot with extention looks huge without her deck. I cannot figure out how Wooldridge puts all the ammenities in their boats and still have walking room. I bet you are chomping at the bit to get her wet and give her some throttle. :thumbsup:

jj225 what part of So Cal you from????

Superfishial Thanks for sharing :highfive:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
GrantWooldridge
Your location: Seattle

Post by GrantWooldridge »

speedboats wrote:Is that a Fronius welder I saw?
"Speedboats" - Yes, those are Fronius welders you saw.

Grant
GrantWooldridge

jj225 wrote:Didn't realize there was no "super" in the "sport" 20' model. The way the senior Wooldridge explained it over the phone to me it made it sound like the bracket on the 20' model was slicker than chit and a much better design. Maybe he was just being a salesman at that point. Quite frankly I like the idea of an extended bracket. Many boat builders use them.

The 20' doesn't have a self bailing deck but it can be added on and with the 150hp only being about 120lbs lighter you
wouldn't think it would make that much difference. Just add a standard bait tank on the back and it'll weigh more than
that. Kind of raises more questions imo regarding the 20' which is what I'm interested in.
Superfishial wrote:Yes the bottom is extended to provide more flotation for the 625 pounds of power with the self bailing design and it will give a nice ride. Wooldridge has yet to make a 20' Super Sport Offshore Pilot and Glen please correct me if I'm wrong but the 20' Sport Offshore Pilots don't have self bailing decks and the 150's that go on them are light enough to not require extended hull type brackets. The higher top speed, fuel economy, and handling of a set back bracket makes more sense on a hull like the Sport Offshore.

jj225 - The bracket with the displacement box is standard though we can do the bottom hull extension also. There is no right or wrong version. The bracket with displacement box makes for a little bit faster boat and the motor can be mounted 3" higher. This version also helps in following seas as the water comes under the bracket and box and helps lift the rear of the boat. The bottom pod extension is a good ad if someone is going to have lots of weight in HP, batteries, fuel or people in a smaller boat as it will help ad buoyancy and lift when fishing. This was the perfect combo for this boat with its size, power and that it was going to have a self draining floor. There are pros and cons to both and anyone can feel free to call and pick my brain about it if they like. I would be happy to answer any questions.

I hope this helps.

Grant Wooldridge - (206) 722-8998
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Superfishial, I witnessed a 24' Wooldridge fishing the PWS. What a neat fishing machine. I know you will be very happy with yours :thumbsup: Looks like you did alot of homework on what you want. Self bailing, Pod Extention and the twin 85 gallon fish boxes....... Tell me how does the Gravity fed Whale diaphram pumps work?????

Not speaking for jj225, but us So Cal guys generally like our live bait wells....... 30 gallons or larger for 1 scoop of Anchovies, Sardines or Squid. Saltwater on the average weighs around 8.55 lbs. per gallon. We are carrying 256 extra pounds of weight.... in my case 45 gallons at a estimated 385 pounds :shocked: The Pod Extention makes alot of sense.

Please keep up on the Wooldridge "Baby book" and her inaugural voyage. when is she due????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

And I was on the 24 wooly for almost a week and I'm here to tell you , you made a GOOD choice.
I don't know how Glen, Grant and the Team fit all the goodies in there and have them work so well.
You Sir , have made a GOOD choice, I am VERY impressed with Wooldridge boats.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
speedboats
Your location: New Zealand

Post by speedboats »

GrantWooldridge wrote:

Grant
How are you finding those compared with others?
GrantWooldridge

speedboats wrote:
GrantWooldridge wrote:

Grant
How are you finding those compared with others?

Speedboats - We have been very impressed. We have been using Fronius now for probably seven years. They are easy to use and extreemly smooth running. Great tool.

Grant Wooldridge
jj225

Post by jj225 »

Grant, thanks for the info. It would seem the extended bottom would be the better fit for the type of fishing I'd be doing. Mojo is right about live bait fishing. To us So. Cal. guys fishing w/out live bait would be like you NorWesters fishing salmon w/out a downrigger. So toss in a kicker with that live bait tank and you've got a few hundred pounds additional weight on the back easy.
GrantWooldridge

jj225 wrote:Grant, thanks for the info. It would seem the extended bottom would be the better fit for the type of fishing I'd be doing. Mojo is right about live bait fishing. To us So. Cal. guys fishing w/out live bait would be like you NorWesters fishing salmon w/out a downrigger. So toss in a kicker with that live bait tank and you've got a few hundred pounds additional weight on the back easy.

Yup, we are seeing more and more of that up here with the whole Tuna fishery. Gotta keep the bait alive for the trek out to the fishing grounds. We can put a high speed pick-up in the bottom of the hull which is also a Sea-Rock that you can have closed when not in use. There would be a pump attached to the top of the Sea-Rock that would then feed your bait well or fish box with raw water while underway.

Grant
Superfishial

Post by Superfishial »

Thanks for all the kind words!

mojomizer- Grant suggested going with the gravity fed diaphragm pumps not only because the room created with the raised deck allows for them to be mounted below the bottom of the fish boxes (see first pic) but also because they are superior to macerators in this application as they can be run dry and you don't have any impeller issues to deal with. They will pass as much junk as macerators but last much longer with less maintenance. Not sure about a due date yet but would imagine another month or so...

time for an update!
Attachments
Gravity fed Whale diaphragm fish box pumps mounted beneath transom.
Gravity fed Whale diaphragm fish box pumps mounted beneath transom.
20120.7.31 003 c.jpg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 15702 times
Anchor and bow storage/casting deck.  casting deck raised to accommodate angle of gullwing door and to add deck surface area for fishing.  Welded cleat will be replaced with flush mounted pull up cleat for snag free fly fishing options.  Hatch made extra wide for full width access.
Anchor and bow storage/casting deck. casting deck raised to accommodate angle of gullwing door and to add deck surface area for fishing. Welded cleat will be replaced with flush mounted pull up cleat for snag free fly fishing options. Hatch made extra wide for full width access.
2012.8.9 006 c.jpeg (89.15 KiB) Viewed 15702 times
20" high bow storage/casting deck will have step on extended rod tray lip @ 10" (fits current rod tray height perfectly).
20" high bow storage/casting deck will have step on extended rod tray lip @ 10" (fits current rod tray height perfectly).
2012.8.9 005 c.jpeg (92.81 KiB) Viewed 15702 times
Under floor drainage between storage box gutters alleviates need for large exposed gutter along the sides.
Under floor drainage between storage box gutters alleviates need for large exposed gutter along the sides.
underfloorgutters.JPG (128.79 KiB) Viewed 15702 times
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Thank You for the explanation..... looked it up too. I must have had a blond moment. Whale Diaphragm gravity pump had my mind thinking........ I know engineering and technology copies alot from nature. :rotfl: :mrgreen: Ohhhhh crap. Hope no one is spitting thier favorite beverage from their nose. Should have seen the mechanical drawing in my head. :shocked:

The build is looking great. Any thought on electronics and other goodies?????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic