Last Week was PSC

General boating discussion
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Last Week was PSC

Post by pjay9 »

This past week I have been in Austria, OR...yes more seamanship classes for the USCG Merchant Marine Credentials. I now am a Person who has 'Proficency in Survival Craft" used to be called Lifeboatman. I am sorry I don't have any pics to share the weather was horrible, windy, rain and cold! Also didn't want to get the cam wet. The reason I an telling this story is that the USCG has us do things that on a new ship you cannot do as it cannot be done...in other words the tests and classes are not up to the IMO worldwide standards.

The lifeboat we trained on was 50 years old and can be rowed. Yes the vast majority of the info and practicals are relevant but the rowing is NO MORE in the real world yet we must do it for the Cert and know all the commands as coxswain. It was fun, we had loads of laughs at each other. BTW, the USCG has eliminated the sailing portion of the original testing...there isn't a sailing lifeboat in the world except a museum.

Now you may ask what am I doing this for...well there is two reasons...I want to be able to be a Master on Near coastal and Oceans vessels, therefore I need SEATIME, in order to get seatime I need to be a competent member of the crew...to be a CM I need to have my AB (Able Bodied seaman) endorsement even so I have had my MMC for 30 years..all my experience is on INLAND waters..such as SE AK, Puget Sound and waters of BC, CND...go figure!

Plus I have to get another cert in two weeks called RFPNW...ah ha! Rating (me) Forming Part of a Navigational Watch...in other words I need to know how to respond and demonstrate carrying out commands...like I haven't done that!!!!

But I have found...don't fight it just get 'er dun! Plus it is sort of fun and I can take all the expenses off on taxes. So there you have it one down and two to go!
Second reason..it is on my BUCKET LIST! (Inflicting punishment on myself) ;>)

Hope this was interesting...most folks I tell this to don't have a clue what I am talking about...so I don't bother...but you may have some understanding and find it interesting!

Hope the weather is turning into fish time for many of you! Capt PJ :clap:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
dawgaholic
Your location: Middle Georgia

Re: Last Week was PSC

Post by dawgaholic »

I can't even take the test due to Medical disqualification, though Homeland Security sees it differently as my Security Clearance has been renewed until 2016. Funny, I can operate a Commercial Vehicle ANYWHERE in these United States, go into ANY Secure Facility, determine whether or not something can be on ANY MEANS OF CONVEYANCE, but driving a boat for pay, I no can do.

Just another one of things that make you go "hmmmmm".
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

pjay, good on ya man, keep learning and one day you can run my boat. :mrgreen:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

dawg...it surely does make you wonder!
Welder...who says I want drive your boat anyway! HEHE! Love to some time!

All of this S*@T is so I can go ride on some them big fast boats you got in the GOM..and git PAID!!! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
salmonater
Your location: Tacoma,wa

Post by salmonater »

pjay9 wrote:This past week I have been in Austria, OR...yes more seamanship classes for the USCG Merchant Marine Credentials. I now am a Person who has 'Proficency in Survival Craft" used to be called Lifeboatman. I am sorry I don't have any pics to share the weather was horrible, windy, rain and cold! Also didn't want to get the cam wet. The reason I an telling this story is that the USCG has us do things that on a new ship you cannot do as it cannot be done...in other words the tests and classes are not up to the IMO worldwide standards.

The lifeboat we trained on was 50 years old and can be rowed. Yes the vast majority of the info and practicals are relevant but the rowing is NO MORE in the real world yet we must do it for the Cert and know all the commands as coxswain. It was fun, we had loads of laughs at each other. BTW, the USCG has eliminated the sailing portion of the original testing...there isn't a sailing lifeboat in the world except a museum.

Now you may ask what am I doing this for...well there is two reasons...I want to be able to be a Master on Near coastal and Oceans vessels, therefore I need SEATIME, in order to get seatime I need to be a competent member of the crew...to be a CM I need to have my AB (Able Bodied seaman) endorsement even so I have had my MMC for 30 years..all my experience is on INLAND waters..such as SE AK, Puget Sound and waters of BC, CND...go figure!

Plus I have to get another cert in two weeks called RFPNW...ah ha! Rating (me) Forming Part of a Navigational Watch...in other words I need to know how to respond and demonstrate carrying out commands...like I haven't done that!!!!

But I have found...don't fight it just get 'er dun! Plus it is sort of fun and I can take all the expenses off on taxes. So there you have it one down and two to go!
Second reason..it is on my BUCKET LIST! (Inflicting punishment on myself) ;>)

Hope this was interesting...most folks I tell this to don't have a clue what I am talking about...so I don't bother...but you may have some understanding and find it interesting!

Hope the weather is turning into fish time for many of you! Capt PJ :clap:
Did you mean Astoria, Oregon?
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

salmonater wrote:Did you mean Astoria, Oregon?
YEP!! Is there another with the mighty Columbia? :beer: PJ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic