WCVI - Tuna time!!!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

WCVI - Tuna time!!!

Post by Sculpin »

Well I didn't post this earlier because it was done out of a ping pong boat but Les let it slide once or twice before so three times lucky?

Yes we get these addicting creatures off of our coast line this time of year when the water is warm enough and close enough to go get em. It was two weekends ago that my tuna cherry got popped when I was invited out with my good friend Shawn Hillier from Tofino Osprey Lodge on his day off. We went out with his right hand man and operator of his second boat, Sean Heart (the Heartbreaker).

The run out was awesome.

We hit the green/ blue cut off at about 47 miles out with 57.5 F degree water. We hit most of the fish at 60.5 degrees. We saw a jumper out the back around 50 feet past the gear and I said "that made my day right there.......at least I saw one" ha ha. Took about an hour for the first one to hit. We were trolling 5 lines a side. 2 hand lines off the cleats, 6 conventional rods, and two specialty mooching set ups off the Scotty's.

The rabbits doing there thing.

Last edited by Sculpin on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: WCVI - Tuna time!!!

Post by Sculpin »

Some of the gear we were running.

First fish in the boat hooked up on the "turd" hoochie off one of the downrigger lines. Total blast playing these on Islander reels with 40 lb mono.

After about another hour we had a four banger on!!!! Total excitement, carnage, and satisfaction all rolled into one.

A short video (click on the photo).

Pretty sporty seas that day ha ha. You can count these types of days on one hand through out the year.

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

More Islander catches. I only played one fish that went 29 lbs. and thought it felt like a really scrappy chinook until I realized the drag on the Islander was totally cranked because of trolling at 8-9 mph and being in the clip. The fish still took out a few hundred feet of line!!!!!

A couple more Islander catches

Biggest Albacore went 37 lbs. I'm told that is a stud.

Group shot at the dock.

What a great day on the water spent with great people Supernatural British Columbia style.

I have the tuna bug big time. Welcome me to the dark side folks........I'm all in.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John, there be FISH in the pictures so your good to go.
:beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:John, there be FISH in the pictures so your good to go.
:beer:
Thanks for the understanding Les. We only got five but that's five more than I ever got before. Totally excited new tuna fisherman talking here. I am addicted big time buddy!!!!!!!!!!

We are allowed 20 a day to boot :thumbsup: .

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/ ... on-eng.htm
Last edited by Sculpin on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Tuna on downriggers? Leave it to the islanders to figure that one out! How deep were you setting them? Flashers too?

Hey, I just finally got my Canuckistan proof of citizenship in the mail the other day from Ottawa. Was born in Vancouver but lost my standing when I moved down here in the 50's. They updated the laws last year so finally got it back. About time to move back home and get on the dole with my long lost countrymen!
:beer: :beer:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:Tuna on downriggers? Leave it to the islanders to figure that one out! How deep were you setting them? Flashers too?

Hey, I just finally got my Canuckistan proof of citizenship in the mail the other day from Ottawa. Was born in Vancouver but lost my standing when I moved down here in the 50's. They updated the laws last year so finally got it back. About time to move back home and get on the dole with my long lost countrymen!
:beer: :beer:
Yup tuna on the downriggers. We had them set at around 33 feet but with the blow back they were only probably around 15 feet down. No flashers. Just a big 7" turd hoochie. Kind of weird because on it's own there wouldn't be much action but we caught 3 out of the 5 on that set up. The stud took the outside jet head zuccini on the hali rod. That sucker was pretty exciting to watch for sure.

My old man almost went for the dual citizen thing quite a few years ago as his mothers side of the family are from Minnesota. Can't remember why he didn't do it. Now I can call you a crazy canuck :highfive: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic