Where are all the West Coast reports?

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

Where are all the West Coast reports?

Post by Sculpin »

I noticed the lack of West Coast representation in the fishing department...........what's going on fella's?
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: Where are all the West Coast reports?

Post by Chaps »

Fished Westport yesterday, pretty much wide open bite on mid-twenties king salmon, we got 4. Limits all around on black rockfish, some of the biggest I've ever caught like 9-10 lbs. also got a couple of Lingcod, smaller ones but legal. No pics were taken, sorry!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I went out for some local bass and bottom feeders last week and got lots. Kept these few and tossed the others back to the sea.

I went looking for Tuna last thursday/friday...burned tons of gas...and found nada!! :banghead:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Great reports fella's !

Those sound like really big black rock fish Chaps :thumbsup: . They are one of my favourites.

We went out of Tofino last Monday in my guide buddies tuperware boat and limited out on springs to 22 lbs. , a few hatchery coho, 4 nice eating sized lings, and 4 halibut around 25 lbs. Released about a dozen salmon and lost a few of the bottom feeders. Pretty steady action all day in awesome .5 meter seas with just a ripple for wind and warm and sunny.

Dumping the tub in tomorrow around noon for sea trials then pulling her out and heading straight over to the West side for a Sunday morning killing spree :gunner2:

What has happened to Mojo? Goatram you have to be out fishing lately? What's happening with the Alaskan folks?........ :popcorn:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Sculpin wrote:? Goatram you have to be out fishing lately? :popcorn:
Been Fishin Not Catchin. 1 Lowly Pink, 2 Shakers,1 Dogfish, 4 Sand Dabs that were in my crab pot when I pulled it up. Happened last week south of Kingston. Fished in the fog and rain. Puget Sound is tough this year. Ocean is producing but the 3 to 4 hour run south to get there when the weather is blowing and the seas are confused is a tough pill to swallow. Weather turns nice for the week days then back to crap on the weekends.
So far the boat has brought home 1 king and 4 silvers from the Sound.Been set up to go fish for tuna but as I said the weather is not cooperating. :banghead:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Gotta hate it when the weather get's in the way. I know how you feel. This weekend is calling for fairly strong NW but sometimes it's quite far offshore and you can still fish the closer banks. I can always tuck into Barkley Sound and fish the Islands which have been producing quite well this year. Anyone can fish in calm seas :beer: . :popcorn:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Haven't been fishing much. Even passed on the annual derby this year. But, with good reason...

The fishing will have to wait while the waves are this good!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

NICE waves ....
Merlin is that you on the board?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

SCULPIN,

I do the same thing. I ask, because I wonder what people are doing with all these bad zz boats all summer, letting the ethanol eat their hoses...... :rotfl: :rotfl:

That's all it usually takes. Ya gotta shout loud enough. :banghead:

Then, ya finally get some chimer-inners.

Would love to see Chap's catch huh?

I'll be waiting to see your slaughter of what I refer to as "massive grocery cart loading" fishing.
Remember to take some photos.

I guess the boats all done, new deck paint and all. Will fish like a new platform for ya now.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

OK, got pic of the kid holding the two he landed. They look small in the pic for some reason. Guess he has to learn the arms length photo pose that Jetty is always trying to flim-flam us with :rotfl: Oh sorry, forgot about the ban on clorox bottle boats in the pics . . .
P8030004.jpg
P8030004.jpg (122.57 KiB) Viewed 10194 times

Penalty box pic of one from last year on a real boat
DSC00539.jpg
DSC00539.jpg (143.27 KiB) Viewed 10194 times
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Nice catches SL Dave and Chaps. That's what I'm talking about :thumbsup: .

Can't wait to see some fishing reports Merlin (beauty waves man). I haven't surfed for a few years now but want to get back into it. We have some wicked breaks here on the WCVI but you need a 5mm wetsuit c/w gloves and booties!

What about the Alaska fella's........Spoiled One????
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thanks for showing us the "small ones" Chaps.

Round here a bull dawg would break it's chain for "EATERS" like that.

Remember, I subsistance fish. And the state doesn't care, to help me survive either with the tree hugger rules we have.
only 2nd to California's tree huggers, I'm sure.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I would love to try that jetty fishing Dave. One of these days I'm gonna get out to J-ville and try that. Did I hear you say on your video you have to release those drum?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Oh yeah......

Every state surrounding this tree hugger mecca lets ya keep some.

Georgia: I believe is 16-23" at 3 a day.
Louisiana: is 16" 5 a day
Alabama: with it's tiny coast: 16" min. - 26" max. 3 per person - 1 oversized fish allowed in the 3 fish creel limit!!
Mississippi: is 18" to 30" 3 per day only one 30"

I live less than 25 miles from Georgia! Jacksonville is Fla. by zip code only. We're jus the largest city in SE Georgia is the joke here.

All Redfish. "AKA: Redbass if yer a Jax Cracka" for the whole state of Florida is 1 fish, per person 18-27 INCHES.

Which is a really small one as you can see. Cause most of mine are 18-27 pounds, not inches. I actually find it easier to catch big ones than smaller ones. As smaller ones like the shallower water, up in "mud valley creek" somewhere. And I don't do any Mud valley creeks. I'm a BIG water kinda guy, and like it rough too....fishing I mean. :rotfl:

If you can believe this, because of the limits and how hot it is here and that there's not allot of species to fish for all summer long.

I don't get to hardly eat a single fish all summer!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm a subsistance fisherman, when not on a charter trip.
I 'd eat fish 7 days a week if I could....saves on a grocery bill.
Too bad I don't care for squirrel.

The last fish I had to eat was "canned salmon" I used to make fried salmon patties. So when I see people able to catch a 6 months supply of good eaters. I'm really in the wrong country, state, and planet.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Yeah, that's the old man - I still got a few left in me. The surf has been really good this year. Water is warm, too - up to about 80 now.

Our annual fishing derby was yesterday so we motivated and launched the boat. Found some blue water and tons of fish but they were all small. One kelp paddy was holding and must have had at least a hundred dorado under it. Sadly, they were all small.

They might be small but they sure are pretty!

Hopefully we find his big cousin next time we go out!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Well I have permission to post our fishing trip out of the tupperware boat so here it goes.......

Well we finally made it fishing out of Tofino. This was our first fishing trip this year!!! (what a late start). My good friend RP had the day off and took Jake, his buddy Chad, and myself out.

What a great day on the water. It was all about getting these two young fella's into some fish. They had a blast. I drove and Rob worked the gear.

Heading out (really snotty conditions)!

Our gracious host getting the lines down (old school buddy of mine who guides out of Tofino now).

Jakes buddy Chad on the ride out said he was "bad luck". Well he was the first to hook into a fish and caught his first salmon.

Continued.......
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

My son Jake with one.

Double header!!!!

Chad with his first halibut ever. First one hooked up again.

Jake with a halibut.

Continued....
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

We all had a great day. We ended up with a real mixed bag of springs, coho, lings, and halibut. My son is a fairly avid fisherman and can hold his own deck handing etc but this was his buddies first serious fishing trip and he did great. IMO he is "good luck" and told him he can come out with us anytime.

Was good to fish with my buddy RP again and he was an awesome and entertaining host as always.

I love his motor too.

Fishing out of Tofino is always fun and I can't wait to get back there but in our boat !!!

Cheers
Sculpin

Oh yeah.......notice anything about the pictures?
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

You learned how to post directly to the site . :thumbsup:
Lester,
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:You learned how to post directly to the site . :thumbsup:
Welder, if your referring to my question at the bottom then no. The answer is there are zero other boats around us. Had the whole place to ourselves :joecool: .

We were fishing a place about 45 minutes North of Tofino and went the back way to get there. Totally awesome scenery on the way out. That place is special for sure. :beer:

Man Jetty I feel for you about the eatin's thing.

Our catch for the day was

5 springs around the 20 lb mark
1 hatchery coho around 10 lb
4 ling cod around 8 lb.
4 halibut around 20 lb.

All legal to keep and eat.
Last edited by Sculpin on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Well of course there are NO other boats around....That HONDA DAVIDSON scares them all off.

One HONDA DAVIDSON and them other boats just know there is a GANG around some where . :rotfl:
Lester,
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

welder wrote:Well of course there are NO other boats around....That HONDA DAVIDSON scares them all off.

One HONDA DAVIDSON and them other boats just know there is a GANG around some where . :rotfl:
:thumbsup: Ha ha!!! He bought that boat (23' Striper) out of Florida for 13 grand. It came with a Johnson motor that blew up on him. He replaced it with a nice Honda. That one had some corosion issues due to a hot dock with no ground. He went to Port Alberni and picked up the current rebuilt Honda with the decals for 6 grand. It has been a great motor for him so far........... knock on aluminum.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Gundog
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Vancouver, WA

Post by Gundog »

I am heading to Brookings, OR Saturday for 10 days of fishing I will give a full report when I get back or maybe some from Brookings. John are you going to come for a day or two? If anyone wants a day out on the water let me know.

Mike
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Mike, are you dragging your boat up there ?

If you send me a round trip ticket I'll be there. :mrgreen:
Lester,
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Thanks for the invite but 567 miles to go fish one way for two days of fishing. 10.5 hrs drive :shocked:
The kings are hitting off of Westport. Water is supposed to be flat for Sunday so I am heading there. 3.5 hours away to fish Saturday and Sunday. then come on home that night.

Mike I have a 51 hours of vacation left till March 2012 when I reclock. I have only been at this playground for 4.5 years and I get 2 weeks a year till I go over 6 when will get 3 weeks plus for every 14 hrs of overtime I get one hour more. My Sob story and I live it. If I was at my old place of employment I would be at 4 weeks this year. Military was 30 days! :sarge:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic