225 Honda runners?

Motor discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

225 Honda runners?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

It seems like I can't get my Vtec to open up and any more at best I can only get 4600 rpm's. Used to get 5-5300.
Afraid when I do peddle to the metal now, I'm just burning more fuel. The throttle moves but I get no higher RPM's.

Any Big Honda people ever have problems getting their Vtec system to engage and do that all out screamin up to the max RPMs?
ratherbefishin
Donator '10, '11
Your location: WA

Re: 225 Honda runners?

Post by ratherbefishin »

I can get mine to 5850.
-Dale
http://www.hewescraftowners.com
Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 with Honda 225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

5-5300 is still too low IMO. You really should try and get to the upper half of the recommended WFOT, but what do I know? I run gray motors, not silver. :rotfl: Could it be a carbon build up problem? I try to run my motors at max rpm for a minute or so each trip to burn that crap out.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave the VTEC is on all the time , At 4500 rpms the Valves are ALL THE WAY OPEN [ Read , SUC DA GAS ]
Normal operating RPMs are 5000 to 6000 RPMs with a red line of 6250 RPMs.

The prop im running now for MPG I can get to 5400 LOADED, my other prop I can get 5800.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Did you hit any of them jetty Boulders?

if the prop is damaged that could cause ya to slow down the RPM
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Changed all the filters.....again.

I don't care about super speed, but then again, 5000 the way it used to be would be nice. The local Honda mechanic said, I may have a pinched fuel line, clogged injectors, or the blame all is, :shocked: ethanol problems. :shocked:

Well, I have no pinched fuel lines, and I'm sure don't have an ethanol problem because I use my boat constantly and each week put 20-25 more gallons in it every 3 days. So fuel can't get stale. I also run seafoam every month to hopefully keep the innards all clean.

We'll see. I have a two hr. kids trip on Saturday. Maybe what I did will help me get back to my ENGINE saving 5 grand.

If not I may have to spend that $100 for a mechanic to take my boat on the water.

I say, I'll tow it there, I'll take it off the trailer, I'll watch your every move, and I'll give ya your hourly rate. WHICH IS NOT A $100 BILL!

BTW...I wouldn't even do Valet Parking in my 95 Ford, because ya have to know how to drive my truck. It has a personality, of it's own. LIKE MY BOAT!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Idon't care to go fast either BUT the motor should be capable of doing it , that is close to 6K on the rpms .

Do you treat/run with Yamaha Ring Free ?
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

As I've said a million times before each "Top Off" gets a Seafoam treatment...not allot, but looking to keep moisture down. And it must because I never have any water in my entire Racor filter. Or it blends and I burn it thru. Who knows?

Today I ran the crap out the engine alone after my 2 hr kids trip. My hole shot sucks, I can get to 5K and that's it.
The Vtec system used to make a bunch more throuty sound and was really distinct......key word "distinct".

Now, not as much 1500+ hrs later at just chugging around the river. I know I loose some RPM's because of my Capt Mac's Skeg guard plate, but I used to get 5K easily.

BTW: here's exactly what the Vtec Solenoid on ALL HONDA MOTORS does, just for shets and grins:

""It opens up a passage way for your oil to flow and push a plunger in your vtec assembly. Once the plunger is pushed down, oil pressure can "flow" into the rocker arm bars. The bars have holes that align with oil passages on the rocker arms. Within the rocker arms are dowels. As oil pressure flows in the rocker arm bars, into the rocker arms and then to the dowels, the rocker arms are "locked" together and thus you are on the high cam. You are now in almighty vtec "".

I have ohmed the solenoid and according to the book you should get between ground and the pin connector, 14.25 and 15.75 Ohms. I get that. So I should be good there.

Maybe she's just tired and wants to retire to ""Eden Isles, Louisiana"" ....LIKE ME!

Plus the saltwater bath the engine got last year may have something to do with it all, and will always be suspect, ya know when a HOLE blew thru the aluminum and saltwater sprayed up behind the intake manifold for days!!!!!!!!!!!

I love me Honda....Or do I?
goatram

Post by goatram »

Ya have the back up motor? put it on the back and give the old girl a rest :clap:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah that sounds simple. But unfortunately it's not!

We tried the "plug-n-play" but things didn't match up between 05 and 06, at least not with my limited knowledge.

Oh, yeah that was my dream :deadhorse:

That was my dream, until I'd have to spend some serious coin making sure she's up to the task.

Hmmmm....Visit Louisiana "OR" Spend the grand to have #2 put on the transom.

I wish I could do both.

Right now it's just a "parts" motor, just incase. A 7,000.00 parts motor :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave , I ask about , Yamaha Ring Free . It works on the CARBON build up on the pistons and Valves , it does nothing for moisture .
Lester,
goatram

Post by goatram »

welder wrote:Dave , I ask about , Yamaha Ring Free . It works on the CARBON build up on the pistons and Valves , it does nothing for moisture .
My new to me F250 lived on that stuff. Expensive and I have bought it as well and keeping in the tank. theh need to sell that in a gallon jug for the price of two quarts $100
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

John , I buy at a local store in Texas and the last QT. I bought was like $32.00 . The regular mix is ONE ounce to TEN gallons so one qt. will do 320 gallons if my math is right .

:thumbsup:
Lester,
goatram

Post by goatram »

So far this year I have run 286 gallons of gas through the boat. The local Yamaha dealer has two prices for the 20 oz bottle I have paid both so far $32 and $25. A quart is around $50. Is it Snake oil :banghead: The Chief mechanic at dealer does not feel so
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

My Honda Tech. says to run it , he says it works and works well . Also if the Gas your buying has techrolyne (spl) in it , do NOT run the YRF . I used to buy my gas from TEXACO and that tech stuff was in the fuel already so no need to add.
If it's in the fuel the pump at the station will be labeled.
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Ole Seafoam is used on injection cleaner machines, and to decarb everything, and keep moisture down. Smells like plain rubbin alcohol. But says it's a 100% petroleum product. HUH?

I usually wait for a discount coupon from Advanced Auto to come in the mail, and then get a gallon cheaper.

Ringfree was made for 2 strokers and all that carbon they develop. Burning that oil. As a treatment for poorly running engines.

My truck has "hole shot", is fuel injected and doesn't get much attention at all. FORD I'm sure sells whatever to help clean, but when it's not broke don't fix it. Being that my truck runs fine on the EXACT SAME ETHANOL FUEL, but has a closed fuel system, versus the asperating tanks of a boat and mine with double vents (one front, one rear) of my boats fuel tank. My concerns are moisture especially in 150% humidity here, and the cool and then warm, of the rest of the N.E. Florida seasons.

I believe I'm gonna take my 2005 spare 225 Honda drop it in the bed of my truck and take it to the only "real" Honda dealership in this whole city. Tell them,
#1 give me the hours on it, and who owned it.
#2 Make it run good. If so,
#3 I'll bring my boat over and have the engines swapped.

And give it a try. May cost $1000 at $99.99 an hour and parts, shop supplies (the way they truely rip you off) IE: used two squirts of grease....you my friend, just bought a whole $20 tube of Honda grease!!! aka: RIP-OF Fork lift usage, etc.

I just bought a $989 air handler for my A/C unit.....what's another grand during Hurricane season?

>>>>> Priceless>>>>>>>>>>>>

If mechanics weren't such a RIP, "don't drop the soap", and since I can't get away with anything like that in my business, I wouldn't be so sinical if they were shooting straight and fair with customers.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

OK, yer call.
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You home yet......looking for dirty boat pictures, and don't see any.

OOPS. Sorry I finally found some pics hidden on a gallery.

If we have no hurricanes, like last year it will be the opportunity for me to do something......anything.....with my $7,000.00 investment sitting in the garage.

The running it ""at home"" idea was a genuine pipe dream. :deadhorse: Those battery cables, and wiring harness USED is like finding a Meteor with my name on it. Jus' can't believe it's that hard, and can't believe what Honda wants for those. Your buddy Kenny still quoted me a $1200 bill. That's insane, for a bundle of wires, dontcha think?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave,I never heard back from KERNO , he hangs on THT and it one point had pics of a bunch of Honda take offs in Hawaii , if you pop over on that other forum and search his name you can shoot him a email.
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Well, it's not like I've been fishing allot. It's HOT. And summer is a real bore.

But that last time I was out, I was easily able to run the throttle up to 5 grand. Over 5 grand she ain't gonna go.
Because each day out, I'm running her hard (hard for me) that is.

Again, it costs $$$ to keep these holes in the water running good. As in more fuel consumed.

So, the whole deal to ya'll Honda owners is ya better run the dawg piss out your engines. Because if ya don't. You too may get a case of slow'poke-itis. Like I have. Or had...I wanna hear my Vtec system Growl.

How bout it, Occams Razor???
NIGHTHAWK

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Had a similar problem.

It was a fuel line impingement/restriction because our fuel line ran through a rubber grommet that had individual holes for different lines (including fuel) where the umbilical hose meets the motor and at wide open throttle we had a slight impingement that caused enough of a fuel restriction to be a problem. If yours has individual holes for the various lines to run through change it (Honda Update). If not and if you want to test whether or not it could be a fuel restriction of some type, get a New six gallon fuel tank and fuel line and hook it directly to your fuel pick up at the motor. This is before your low pressure and obviously your high pressure filter (which I assumed you changed)? This is a very easy test to diagnose with, it worked for us.

Fuel lines should also be replaced because they deteriorate too and you should check your pick up tube inside your tank for a restriction.

My buddies’ fuel lines were shot and causing clogging at different points.

I too was in denial about the simple and the obvious, but an old friend of mine who is a mechanic said to do this simple test to check fuel line restriction.

I have also seen the end of the pickup tube at the bottom of the tank slightly clogged or restricted from scale/debris.

I went through many of the steps and headaches you did before I tested the fuel system to eliminate the possibility of that being the problem.
28' MAXWELD MAXCAT (Twin 225 Hondas)

JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hello NightHawk,

lONGTIME NO SEE!

I talked to a mechanic and he said the same thing about the area where the line goes into the engine. He said he see's corosion or salt build up in that area on relatively brand new engines.

Well, I know he's talking glass boats with not enough bouyancy. Because, that area never see's water on my boat. But I also checked, since it's a simple area to look at. I saw nothing there.

Thanks for the "other" heads-up ideas.

I'll definately give it a try, if the no 5 grand problem persists. But as of lately, it seems that I'm getting the 5 grand. Jus' because I'm running it up there ALLOT. Blowin' her out, ya might say.

I guess with my prop (plus my Capt Mac's skeg guard), I've never got much over 5 grand. So that's all I want to see.
Has saved my lower unit....Numerous times already :!:

Wouldn't the pick-up tube thing be noticed at various speeds though? Oh, that would be a project to check! Or I guess one could run a wire, or blow air in "reverse" of the flow to check, that?

Oh yeah, as far as filter/fluid and cleanliness, remember I'm at home "allot" with nothing to do, (hence hours spent here) with my boat 10 feet from my front door. So I'm always tinkering, cleaning, and changing.

The 6 gallon can of fuel Idea is a genuine winner. If persistant, I'LL TRY THAT FOR SURE!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic