Sterndrive plate

Mods and custom builds
Dead Ant
Your location: New Zealand

Sterndrive plate

Post by Dead Ant »

Hi All,

I'm working on converting 7.3m hardtop aluminium hull which was set up for an outboard to take a Yanmar 4LHA witha Bravo II sternleg. I need to pack out the transom to be around 51mm thick from the 5 or 6mm it currently is. I've heard that there is a casting you can buy from the US which just needs to be welded on.

Is this the easiest way to do it or are there better recommendations.

Does anyone know where to source these from as I'm in New Zealand.

The project has just started so I'll probably be asking plenty more questions? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Anthony
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Re: Sterndrive plate

Post by kmorin »

Anthony, I prefer not to use cast alloy parts in or around the drive, but then I'm not familiar with a cast transom plate for outdrives and they may save labor and reduce costs, I don't know the product. I prefer to avoid castings in this area, as I prefer the performance and corrosion resistance of plate and 6061 extrusions.

What I do to build stern drive 'plate's or transoms adapters is simple in concept but does take a little work. However, since this entire project is assembled off the boat, it's built on the bench, that allows full control of the joints, welding and fits of all the parts without the penalty of having to weld these part together while on the boat. Position welding some of the implied joints in this method would be quite challenging.

I build a hollow 1-1/2" to 2" thick rectangular box with the outdrive shape 'cut' into the center and tube lined bolt holes. I have done this for more than a dozen I/O welded aluminum boats and it works well, is very stiff and allows the outdrive plate to be located at the drive's 'angle' to the keel without having to change any aspect of the transom angle of the design.

By using the cutout template provided by the engine mfg. (Merc II leg transom shield install cutout) I draw the outline of the actual opening in the plate. Then using pipe segments I cut 1" or 1-1/2" 'long' curves of the closest diameter pipe or tube (6061 T-6) to round the corners and make and shape change curves. I then cut short segments of flat bar the same width as the pipe segments are 'long'. All these items are beveled where they meet in preparation to TIG butt welding into a continuous 'outline' of the cutout. This series of cuts creates the inner opening of the transom cutout to a depth of the inside edges of the inner and outer plates.

Then with two identical plates of .187", 3/16" or 0.25", 1/4" 5086 plate, I cut the outside outlines of the curved plate that is tacked to the pattern of the cutout. The shape is the indentical shape of the transom cutout template, but one bar and pipe segment offset outward to allow a fillet outside corner weld inside and outside. The two plates will be outer profile edged with the same width flat bar, making a hollow box with a solid outline of the stern drive's transom cutout when the outside edges of the inner and outer bars are welded to the two plates.

Around the outline I locate and drill holes for the through bolts, then over drill those holes to accommodate pipe or tube that are large enough to allow a plastic tube liner around the SS transom bolts. All these pipes are socket welded to the plates and form through-hull pipes that are located in the bolt pattern.

This design results in a 2" thick (or whatever thickness is needed) 'box' to mount in the hull at the angle needed for that drive. The cutout for the 'box' or drive transom plate can be whatever shape you want, a rounded rectangle, oval, and the boat's native transom area can intersect and weld to the outer edges of the box, allowing the transom plate and the hull to have different angles at the intersection because the 2" thick box can accept the joint along its 'thickness'.

While this does take more work than putting a plate doubler on the hull, I've found the these hollow and air pressure tested boxes or transom adapters are worth the effort as they insure the alloys are compatible, they make the design of the hull independent of the drive's required install angle, and they provide more then adequate structural integrity to accept the drive's thrust.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Can we see pictures?
Dead Ant
Your location: New Zealand

Post by Dead Ant »

Great post thanks Kevin. I'll read it carefully and see if I can work it out but some pics would be great! I'll try and post some pics of the work to date.

Cheers

Anthony
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

anthony, 21ftcc, this was before I photographed all the work we do here. I'll have to draw the details and at current work load that won't be soon. Back to 12's and 14' to play catch up for the last two quarters of a 'dry spell' and that crowds the drawing time.

I have linked to some illustrations of a port light frame I did some years ago as part of a discussion of an offshore sailboat. The reason these are here is the ideas are identical even if the arrangement shown is tapered inside instead of straight.

I suggested pipe, here is a concentric reducer but the ideas remain the same.

the pipe segment would be cut to the thickness of the stern mount minus the two plates, inside and outside.

again, to make sure we all see why these illustrations bear on our discussion: this concentric reducer would be a pipe segment of several different diameters of pipe cut to length AND to corner angles that would turn each corner in the stern drive cutout outline.

Here I'm building a tapered inside surface, but the stern drive opening could/would be straight or 90 deg to the two inside and outside surfaces of the hollow transom mounting 'box'. The blue/purple plate would NOT be in a stern mount box.

IN the stern mount plate/box the blue glass mounting plate is not included.

shown for a weld prep detail not for a stern mount plan!

These last two images show the inside and outside plates, in a stern mount they'd be much larger and reach from the bottom upward in many cases. Depending on the hull shape this hollow box would weld to the bottom and may have the V of the hull built in to the outside of the box: WHICH IS NOT SHOWN.

There needs to be a surrounding edge band identical to the outside shape but with the same inside-edge-to-inside-edge fit providing a weld groove for the hollow box's edge seal weld.

The pipes/tubes would be located around the opening for the drive's shaft and steering arms and recess socket welded into the two green plates in these substitution illustrations.

The blue/purple plate, shown here, does not apply; the images show a tapered port light hull recess and not an outdrive transom mount box to bolt the drive onto the hull- so the tapered opening has to been made parallel including adding and outside band welded to the entire assembly to make a 2" (as needed) thick box to bolt the drive leg too.

[I did use this tapered sided opening, design method, on the top of two transom plates for the 'upper' opening that the steering arm came through. this allowed the seals to be closer to the travel of the arm as the opening was wider inside the hull than outside on the outdrive side.]

I hope this helps, with my earlier post, to give a picture of the methods I've used? By shaping the outline of the panel to fit the hull you might extend the bottom to the keel and V of the hull, the top to whatever design element is above and the sides can be as narrow or wide as needed to give access to the drive's mount bolts and hardware.

I do the entire box with MIG tacks and TIG beads but I have built them with MIG, and just floated the corners at the air test stage. I generally tap a small 1/4" pipe thread opening in the stern lowest point to insure the box can be drained/checked when the hull is out of the water. That opening also serves as the air test point.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Kevin, are you using solid works or revit?
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Sketchup 7.1.68....

cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Dead Ant wrote:Hi All,

I'm working on converting 7.3m hardtop aluminium hull which was set up for an outboard to take a Yanmar 4LHA witha Bravo II sternleg. I need to pack out the transom to be around 51mm thick from the 5 or 6mm it currently is. I've heard that there is a casting you can buy from the US which just needs to be welded on.

Is this the easiest way to do it or are there better recommendations.

Does anyone know where to source these from as I'm in New Zealand.

The project has just started so I'll probably be asking plenty more questions? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Anthony
There is a casting that the boat builders use for that application. In fact before I repowered wih a single outboard my boat had twin 4 cyl mercruisers that used the castings to mount the outdrives. They may even be in my bonepile behind the shop, I'll look to see if they didn't go to scrap.

At any rate, yes, they are available, just not sure where to get them but shouldn't be too hard to track down . . .
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Post by welderbob »

Baywood Industries (www.bayindustrries.com )out there in Marysville Wa. make a cast outdrive spacer. I have made them out of 1" plate welded in to the stern and the cut out with a hole saw. Mercury make a drill jig guide that angles all the hole the right way.
Welderbob
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic