The Holy Grail!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Merlin

The Holy Grail!

Post by Merlin »

We're past the storm. Hurricane Jimena was really something. This is an amazing satellite photo of the eye of the storm directly over us!

There's no way a photo can capture the force of the wind but this comes close. This was taken from my roof deck.

Lots of damage and tons of work to do around here. First order of business was to get the boat out from under the busted palapa.

Today was a perfect fishing day so the wife and I decide to take a day off from damage contro and hit it. There's nice cloud cover and absolutely no wind or swell. Air temp is about 85 and the water is 81. Cruised out about ten miles and the water was crystal clear and very calm. Catch a couple small yellowtail and dorado for some catch and release. Then we get a big knock down and I'm thinking tuna. I wrestle the rod out of the holder and it feels different. It's gone down like a tuna but all of a sudden it takes a run up so then I'm thinking dorado but it never breaks the surface. Another run around the boat and I see color - WAHOO! And, a nice one. I'm fishing mono so I start saying my prayers. My wife, Angela, is a great deck hand - she's already cleared the other gear and has the gaff ready. I hand off the rod at the last second and bingo, this one is ours. Not a nick in the line, either.

We get the wahoo stuffed in the cooler and we are off again.

There's life everywhere with birds working and manta rays jumping all over the place. Really a spectacular day. We finish off with a nice double hook up - a nice dorado for the wife and a tuna for the captain.

Oh, this is a photo of the Pescadora that a friend took from his SUP. Different day but I like the shot. It ain't plate alloy but she's holding up well and she really raises fish!

All in a days work.
welder
Site Admin

Re: The Holy Grail!

Post by welder »

Merlin, Brother, it doesn't have to be Plate , just as long as it's Alloy.

And with the women in your crew in that picture , Well , they could be on any boat and it would be a GREAT picture. :thumbsup:

Glade you made it through the storm. :highfive:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

Great post, pictures and better fish :highfive: What a great diversion from storm clean up!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Nice job :thumbsup: What did the Hoo take? I got bit off a few weeks ago here behind Martha's Vineyard with a Hoo......those bastads have some sharp tooths :rotfl:
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

The hoo took a pink marlin jig about 10" long. I have it rigged with 125# leader and a #7 stainless hook which seems to work great for dorado but it's a little on the light side for larger fish or the toothy models. Still can't believe it didn't bite off. I followed him around the boat a few times so he wouldn't turn over on me - the hook was set right in the corner of his mouth and had he turned I'm sure he would have cut the line.

There are a lot of wahoo around this time of year and you never know when you'll find one. I will also switch back and forth from wire to mono on my jigs to see if it makes a difference - I think mono catches more fish but when the hoo are on the bite a lot of lures ($) can be lost. Also, I was running a marauder all day but it never got a bite. It seems like when I have a marauder in the water I'm scaring off some of the smaller fish - anyone share this opinion?

It was a great day - in three hours we let a bunch of little guys go and came home with three quality fish. I like to feel like I'm not keeping too much but I do want to bring home something to eat. The wahoo alone is plenty - damn, they fillet out nicely!

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Here in the NE we run the Marauder's when we know big fish have been seen. Otherwise we run the Xrap 30's or similar.....

I've yet to catch anything on a marauder but have taken fish on the Xraps......the fish that I know of taken on the Marauder have been big fish :shock:

Nice job on the knife.....pure meat gotta love it :thumbsup: YUM!! :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Merlin.........Glad to see ya'll are in one piece!

First thing I noticed is how well (by the looks of it) how your roof held up. What the hell is that?

Nailed down shingles can't withstand Hurricanes here!!!!

That's one fish I've hooked and lost, and still have never caught.

Just glad to see the boats not upside down, or anything like that.

And she looks really in good shape via that nice pic your friend took.

Looks clean as a whistle........(no dock rash :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Thanks for the report.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic