Some was talking knife sharpening a while back?

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Some was talking knife sharpening a while back?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I can't remember who, but I believe it was one of our PacNW members who found a badd azz knife sharpener.

Well here's another one, that looks to be a REAL PRO, type "industry" knife sharpener.

http://www.cozzini.com/images/ERGO-STEEL-III-large.gif

http://www.cozzini.com/sharpening%20equ ... 3home.html

I don't have the time right now to find out "how mucho". But maybe someone else can.
Towboat/US is callin'.......gotta go to my other, J-O-B.

"I'll be BACK!"
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Re: Some was talking knife sharpening a while back?

Post by 21ftcc »

What do you use for knifes? I had one of mine just break the other day.
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

I have always stayed away from sharpeners that do a hollow grind type of sharping. It has a tendency to not allow a good sharpening after the edge gets worn down. All my boat knives are at least 25 to 30 years old and still take a razor edge using a stone. My stone is well worn and has taken on my stroke shape. Recently I have switched to a diamond stone and the egde is better than ever. My knives are an old wood handle thin blade Rapala, and two commercial knives one a fillet type with white handle, and the other a salmon filet knife that has offset blade to allow it to be place right next to the board for skinning and has a spoon on the handle for cleaning the inside blood strip.
They are all old and still very sharp and taken care of. I have always stayed away from machines to sharpen knives as I like my edge to be very acute which gives a very sharp edge. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

21ftcc wrote:What do you use for knifes? I had one of mine just break the other day.
I'm not sure about your part of the country, but over here on the fishing boats, this is considered the creme de la creme of fillet knives.
I have an 8" & 10" and these blades can get and hold a very sharp edge
http://www.knivesplus.com/forschner-bre ... 40130.html

They are also available in an 8" blade, but since you catch them big ol' stripers the 10" would be better.
If you are not used to using a wide blade to fillet, just remember to make your turns with the narrow tip and do the flat, straight cuts with the wide part of the blade.

They also make them with a fibrox plastic handle that is approved for food handling which the rosewood handle is not.
The blade extends into the handle of the rosewood grip further and is riveted while the with the fibrox grip, it is molded in.
From what guys have told me, the fibrox grip can separate from the blade if you use a lot of pressure to make your cuts. That is why the rosewood handle is more desirable.
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

I picked up a Dexter-Russell 8 inch knife yesterday. I'll see how long this knife will last.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah a foreshner is the cats butt. They are basically the same company now as the good ole Swiss Army knife people.

I have Dexter-Russels. But watch what ya get. Some DR's are cheap bait shop models and are the lowest grade knives usually.

I use mostly a few Mundail's (not sure the spelling) and DR's high carbon rose woods.

Some one posted a similar machine. But Pjay its manual, and runs a hone I guess to the blades. Looked to be a pro kitchen chef kinda tool, that's what peaked my interest.

My stone is all worn too. I need a new one. Maybe I'll try a diamond one like mentioned earlier.

Just a FYI, that maybe a Chef could teach us ole fisherman a trick or two. Don't know.
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

My daughter is a CHEF and I taught her to sharpen knives as I had been taught by a CHEF when I worked at Camp Emerald Bay (BSA) on Catalina in 1965...I was a dinning Hall Director and the Chef was a retired Chef that had worked all over the world. I learned so much back then that summer. The camp is gone now. The old boat that we used to bring supplies was a converted PT or similar craft called the "Manta"...she was plywood and gray.

That is why I have always stayed away from machine sharpeners and have graded stones. Another quick story, when my daughter was at Western Culinary in PDX and learning how to sharpen knives in butcher class, she did as I had taught her...the Chef instructor saw her and brought her up to the front of the class and told everyone, if you need any help see Keira, she knows how to do this! Needless to say, Dad was proud for just a little thing like this....also I tuaght all my deckhands when I had my plastic charter boat. One of them went to work for Safeway and became a Regional Manager for the Meat Dept.

Some good comes from passing on skills! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Occams Razor
Your location: Rhode Island

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All:

I am not sure if this post is about the blade sharpener I posted awhile back or not. Anyhow the site is www.warthogsharp.com. The unit very easy to use and does very well and does not remove much material at
all. It works excellent for fillet knives !

Hope this helps.
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

I also endorse the V-Sharp, bought one after Occam's initial recommendation. It works great and its easy to use. The adjustable angles for different styles of knives makes it a great all purpose tool. :clap:
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I like my blade angle to be more acute..those things look like the are about 40 degrees...When I sharpen the whole blade almost touches the stone, so my angle is about 10 to 14 degrees...that really makes a difference when cutting and filleting...JMHO! Also have a steel for tune up in between stoning and the steel is ceramic. Capt PJ
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

The V Sharp has 3 angle settings, 17, 20 and 25 degrees. According to their literature; 17 is the standard for fillet knives, 20 is the standard for most kitchen cutlery and 25 for butchering and hunting knives. What I have found with my fillet and kitchen knives is that they are getting sharper and staying sharper over time as I use the V Sharp... the old edge is being replaced by the new superior edge. A major advantage that I see over a sharpening steel or wet stones is that the sharpening angle is fixed, for a novice like me this makes a big difference.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

I use a 8' Forschner knife. I use the india stone to resharpen but most times a sharpening steel is the trick. My favorite knife is a 10 year old 8" Forschner has cut hundreds fish a night when I played on the "Freelance" party boat out of Davies Locker Newport Beach. Butchered a half dozen deer, a couple of elk and a hog, 100's of long range tuna and yellowtail and it still holds it's edge well.

I whole heartedly agree with PJay9 that knife sharpening skills is nice to know. I also think that a sharp pocket knife is part of an important safety equipment on your boat. When anchoring or pulling the anchor I'll always have one with me. It could save yours or someones life.

Regards
Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Tin Cup wrote:The V Sharp has 3 angle settings, 17, 20 and 25 degrees. According to their literature; 17 is the standard for fillet knives, 20 is the standard for most kitchen cutlery and 25 for butchering and hunting knives. What I have found with my fillet and kitchen knives is that they are getting sharper and staying sharper over time as I use the V Sharp... the old edge is being replaced by the new superior edge. A major advantage that I see over a sharpening steel or wet stones is that the sharpening angle is fixed, for a novice like me this makes a big difference.
I like the idea too.
I usually am sharpening knives in the morning on the boat as I'm waiting for "sometimes" very late customers.
Plus I'm a gadget dude. I'd like to have one of these sharpeners to just make a few wacks and then be on my way.
You're right, under a magnifying glass it's pretty easy to see how wavy and not straight an edge can be when free handing it.

But what the heck, people been free handing for centuries.

Just wanted to add to the post that the other fella made on a machanical honer.
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

For anyone that might be thinking about getting a new knife, one of the guys over on BD found a good deal on Forschner knives.
If you spend over $49 shipping is free. Overall great prices on knives there.
Also check the rosewood models :thumbsup:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=753
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic