Almar Sounder by North River

General boating discussion
steve-r
Your location: Vancouver

Almar Sounder by North River

Post by steve-r »

hi guys,
Any opinions or experience with an Almar Sounder on here?
Appears to be a commercial grade made by North River.
their website is light on specs
http://www.almarboats.com/models/sounder/gallery
Almar are listed in the builders list, and search has them mentioned in one other post, but no direct comments.

appreciate any opinions on seaworthiness, construction, finish, value ....good, bad, or ?
thx,
Steve
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
ruggit

Re: Almar Sounder by North River

Post by ruggit »

Almar was, and maybe still is a great aluminum boat builder. Hundreds of their boats all over the northwest, including our own Sheriff dept boats. They were acquired by Northriver, who is having financial problems. Dont know how it is all going to shake out, but if you are interested, try calling Almar.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Steve, are you looking at the 30 footer?

And have you looked at any other Mfg's ?

What do you want/need in the boat and what power are you looking for ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
smpow
Your location: POW, AK

Post by smpow »

Almar Boats are popular in AK for commercial charter and government use. They are excellent boats.
BoatBucks
Your location: West Valley, OR

Post by BoatBucks »

Almar was a good boat when it was Almar and was built in Tacoma. In 2008, production was moved to Roseburg if I remember correctly.

I don't think NR is really in business anymore given the recent "problems". I know the articles say they are still building boats but I'm not sure that is true today. Pretty sad really.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/inde ... ed_of.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... st_68.html

http://www.nrtoday.com/article/20090610 ... ofile=1055
steve-r

Post by steve-r »

welder wrote:Steve, are you looking at the 30 footer?
i saw a 2008 25ft pilothouse with a 300hp Suzuki on it and it looked pretty solid. hadn't heard much about them so went looking for more info.
And have you looked at any other Mfg's ?
absolutely - Pacific is top of the list - there is a 26ft in the Alaska craigslist i got some info on.
also looked close at a Broadwater, made in Pr Rupert, and proudly owned by some on here i've chatted with.
there is a 23 ft used Pacific on the Pacific site with a custom bunk cuddy, but it looks underpowered.
i've been looking around since I joined this site, with envy.
What do you want/need in the boat and what power are you looking for ?
well the "win the lottery" shortlist is a 22-26 ft plate alloy pilothouse walk-around, with the ability to sleep 2 in a pinch, play a fish all the way around the boat, with 250-300 hp main outboard (4-cycle only ) on an offshore bracket type transom, and a high thrust kicker, trim tabs, and an auxiliary dual control helm station in the back deck area. carry enough fuel for 350 nm range, needs to be fishable and launchable by me even if alone. trailerable at 6500lbs all in. add a pair of scotty electric downriggers, all the nav electronics integrated, lockable storage, maybe even a pot puller....all at a price i can afford.....and its got to catch fish. is that asking too much ? :grin: :grin:
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Steve, GREAT answer.
There is a Pacific 26 for sale in Boats for sale forum but it has twin 2S on her.

Yep, you need a pacific26 with a sleeper top. Give Julie a call at Pacific for pricing 888-658-7111

OR

Kenny down at tradewinds has a 23 super top [ I think it's a '07 NEW ] and has NOT been rigged yet , give him a call , I bet a killer deal can be had on that boat. I bought mine from Kenny and would buy there again. Kenny 949-631-7334

Tell them Lester sent ya. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
steve-r

Post by steve-r »

Thanks Welder.
the 26Wa w twin opti's look like a great deal, but engines would have to upgraded, and the twin anchor setup is unique.
i have Julie's price list, and I think I've spoken with someone at Tradewinds before.
there is also a 2007 23 ST that the owner of BOE Marine is selling, but its in the east so shipping costs, plus needs a trailer, and a kicker w. electric start, and controls...maybe he'd throw those in :wink:
somewhere out there is a late model w. low hours that someone else has paid the price to rig.
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic