Transducer install in aluminum hull

Get help and share Ideas
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Transducer install in aluminum hull

Post by Chaps »

As Tincan was saying in an older post there really aren't very many options when choosing a thru hull transducer for a plate alloy hull. I needed to put something in my LaConner that was decent enough for the kind of fishing I do but without going to uber-expensive stainless Airmar bottom burners. Their line of 600 watt ducers in plastic housings like the transom mount P66 work pretty darn good if installed correctly but their only equivalent in a plastic thru hull is their P319. Jim at BOE sent this one out to me for $135 and it came very quickly.

Its not a tilted element so on a v-hull you really need to make a fairing block in order to get it to shoot straight down. I got to thinking that I wanted an aluminum block instead of wood or urethane or some other material but that would take a bunch of machining and I don't have a mill.

I decided to get a chunk of solid round bar as a starting point. In this case it was 3.5" in diameter and 2 inches long. I bored it for the transducer stem on my drill press with a 2" hole saw (I don't have a lathe either) and then cut it at an angle that matched the deadrise on my hull on my bandsaw. The angle was 12°. The piece shown will go inside the hull.

The other piece I welded to the bottom of the boat in an appropriate spot. The inked markings on the hull out ahead of the tube indicates where I am going to build up the fairing ramp to ensure a smooth flow of water over the transducer.

I didn't grab a pic while I was laying in the weld build-up but this is what I ended up with after quite a bit of welding, grinding, filling low spots with JB weld and final sanding.

Here the transducer is liberally swabbed with 4200 and held firmly in the hole with a jackstand and thin wood wedges applying the pressure

Here is the finished install. The fairing looks kind of bloated out in this pic for some reason but its a flat, gradual ramp

Here is the inside piece. I didn't weld it as its under the deck and hard to get to with a torch. Its secured with the 4200 and the big nut at the top of the ducer. I wanted it long like this so to protect the long stem on the ducer.

Anyway, this is how one enthusiast did it, YMMV. I'm a little concerned that I should have also tapered the backside so as to eliminate turbulance but I'll see how it works as-is. If need be I'll put a ducktail on it with JB weld.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Re: Transducer install in aluminum hull

Post by AlloyToy »

Nice job :thumbsup: Let us know how it works out and performs...
Deno
Your location: SAN DIEGO, CA

Post by Deno »

Very nice work, hope it works out for you… :thumbsup:
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
wdkerek

Post by wdkerek »

Great work!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic