Halloween Tuna

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Halloween Tuna

Post by AlloyToy »

Had some intel this week (from a few fishermen including Adrian) of a hell of a BFT bite on Stellwagon. The wind blew all week, and was gonna let up for a bit on Friday morning.
I contacted my buddy Jim whom was on the fence about going. He just lost a close nephew in the line of duty in Afghanistan last Wed. (on his B-Day) and he wasn't sure he was into this trip. My persistence to clear his mind and put him on a fish soon paid off.

On the road at 2:30 am for a two hour ride to the ramp. We launched, suited up in 27 degree weather, and made our way out on a beautiful Halloween morning under the star lit sky with shooting stars off to the East. We arrived on our spot about 6:00 AM for the false dawn. We could see dragger's working to the south on the radar, and some birds working to the South East.

We set out two rods off the stern corner flat lines with Rapala XRap Mag's. I deployed the outriggers, and was rigging a black squid bar with a slugo stinger. SNAP ZZZZZZZZZZZZ the new Avet 4/0 is screaming........"Jim we're tight" :!: :!: The fish is running and taking line. We clear the other rod and start the chase. We get in front of the fish after a 30 minute fight and we now have color 10-15 feet down, but the fish is tail wrapped He comes to the surface untwists himself and runs again. Back on the throttle chasing we head him off again and he pops like a cork and is on the surface now. I grab the gaff and sink it in. Now way I'm bringing this in alone. Jim grabs the other gaff and we muscle the fish into the boat........OH YEAH!!! We have a tuna door DAAAAAAAA!!! :lol:

We bleed the fish,ice it, and clear rods, rigs etc......

Take a look around and there are fish everywhere however the wind is now gusting 25-30 knots out of the West (a few hours earlier than it's suppose to) I ask Jim "what do you want to do"? He's content so we make our way into a howling head sea. We are punching through 5 footers with confused 7 footers. Water is going everywhere. We're getting hit broad side by waves, and dead on off the bow. Never once did I/Jim feel in jeopardy in any way. The boat muscled it's way through all 20 NM, and we pulled into the dock a 9:46 AM :wink:
Short but sweet Halloween trip 8)
Side note I love my AVET!!!!!
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Halloween Tuna

Post by peterbo3 »

AT,
Great result there. Sushi on the menu? How big is your boat?
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Great job AT!!

Sorry to hear about your friends nephew. We owe alot to that boy and his parents.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Peter 23' Pacific HT model.

SL Dave thanks for your thoughts. All together it's a horrible thing. I'm glad I was able to put him on a tuna yesterday.

This fish had a 1/4" layer of fat. I guess the Belly is the best Sushi meat from what I'm told. I prefer a steak seasoned on the grill :lol:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

GOOD NIGHT IRENE.....way to go AlloyToy, you put that beauty to sleep!

Finally, I found out how far that "bank" is. Often wondered how far ya had to go to get into those gamey fish.

Man that makes for one long day if ya have to leave the house that early.....(I'm so spoiled.
5 minutes from boat ramp, 4 minutes from bait shop and bulk ice. 2 minutes from Speckled Trout and Redfish.)

20 from the west, but worth being a gladiator on a mission, huh?

New Englanders, up another 10 points, brother!!
C'C'mon!

Hey, where the hell is Marty? He's a Tuna Miester..
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Not sure how this will post but:

The SWC is about 18-20 depending on the port you leave
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

OHHHHHHHHHHH, okay. That gives me some perspective.
I'd wanna leave from that "Hook"....looks closest. :wink:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Hard to see here but 400 yards of birds working

Getting ready to slice and dice
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

True, but to leave from there it's one hell of a drive around the whole Cape Arm (Cape is like when you make a muscle :lol: ) and the launces out there are VERY tidal so it can be hours before you water to get back in or out for that matter
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Way to go Alloy. Got to say I'm jealous of you.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

AlloyToy wrote:True, but to leave from there it's one hell of a drive around the whole Cape Arm (Cape is like when you make a muscle :lol: ) and the launces out there are VERY tidal so it can be hours before you water to get back in or out for that matter
Yeah, figured I was just noticing the closeness. That's all.

Glad to see a perspective pic.....what ya think that charlie tuna weighed?

And was the fight a long one?

Never hooked into a Tuna that size (they don't frequent my Jetty Rocks.... :wink: )
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Dave, The fish was 60" CFL and packed with sand eels...........it had 1/4" of belly fat

Here is a chart that you can use to estimate

clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Alloy toy, Sorry about your friend's son, Glad you were able to hook up a BFT for him, Sounds like real snotty seas, fall in the north atlantic. Might sound corney but I believe that we will all meet again on the other side, I'm expecting my friends and family to be waiting with a johnny walker balck and water cuz i'll need one after trip over, Mike/clambo
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Hey Alloytoy,

Nice job on the BFTs!

You have caught more tuna this year than me...

What a year this has been.. the boat, the weather, the weather, the weather...

I look forward to thises bigboys coming by montauk on the way south. they usually get a few when striper herring fishing and spool the guys. I will hopefully target them.

I been deer hunting last two weekends, got a doe and 4-pointer and missed a 45-yard shot on a nice 8-pointer.

Probably got growth on my boat from not using it. Maybe this week I'll go Blackfishing, heard the east end of fishers has been hot!
mty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Marty,
Nice job with the white tails..........

Was gonna start thinking about hunting but the BFT fishing is nothing short of phenomenal right now. There had to have been 400 yards of birds working down the back side of P-Town, and fish everywhere. One of my buddies went 4 for 4 on Sat, then got blown off by all the wind, and another buddy went 2 for 3 yesterday............same wind story.

Not sure how long it will last, but man what a trip!!!

On the Tog scene there are big fish being taken off RI I know, a 16.5 lb tog was caught off Newport Sat. The big dogs are moving to the deep rock piles.

Good Luck,
Catch em up
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic