Extending my bottom

Mods and custom builds
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Extending my bottom

Post by spoiled one »

Well, actually the CET of Patience, not mine. :lol: I have always thought that she sits stern heavy. I showed some pictures to the builder today and he thought it could be worth a shot. Here are a couple of picts. What do you guys think?

At WOT:

One more:

The builder's concern is that by adding floatation to the CET, the boat may sit bow down. Worse case scenario I can cut it out and be right back where I started. Do any of you have experience with this?

Pete
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Re: Extending my bottom

Post by Shark Bait »

Pete: She does look a little low in the stern but not bad. I don't think you have a lot of extra "Stuff" in the stern and GC has built a number of the 30' so why do you think she is sitting low? Have you talked with Scott about what he thinks the cause is? I have never heard of enlarging the CET or Pod to correct a balance problem but it might work.

SB
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Post by Jay Perrotta »

If you have an angle finder it would be interesting to know the angle of the deck....

Another interesting number would be the height of the external exhaust on the engines aft side (above the waterline) when the boat is at rest (should be 5" or more).

I feel stupid but don't know the "CET" acronym. Something to do with the engine platform, I assume? If so - any additional volume will help (obviously) with a low transom. Conversely, more weight in the bow can both help the transom attitude as well as ride if you're too "light" up there. The added bow weight also has the additional benefit that if you don't like it you can remove the weight and then look at doing fab work on the transom..

Hope that this is helpful.
Jay Perrotta
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Jay: GlacierCraft is the only Manf that I know of that uses the term "CET" . I think it means Closed Extended Transom. EagleCraft, my boat, uses the term "Pod". What they are is an extension of the hull below the engine bracket but not as wide as the entire bottom. It is a separate chamber on the back of the "normal" transom. They are fully enclosed and air tight so they add flotation under the engines and add additional length to the hull. Most of the custom boats up here use some form of a Pod or CET. I have not really looked closely at your boats to see what the area under the engines look like.

SB
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Jay, the term CET stands for cantilevered extended transom. As SB pointed out, a lot alloy boats up here use them. GC continues the bottom back to the end of the CET on the 26' models, but according to the marine engineers, the bigger boats do not need the bottom extended. I think I need that extra floatation. I have three 135 gallon tanks running end to end. I have played with filling the front and middle tank and leaving the aft tank empty and it seems to help level the boat out at rest, but the stern still seems heavy. I have some picts on my home computer showing the aft of the boat. I will try and post them when I get home if the power is back up. We had 100+ mph winds last night. The neighbors weather station blew off the roof at 97mph. Wild night!

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Jay, this is the only photo of the rear that I could find. It seems to be a lot more than 5 inches from the water to the exhaust port. This was at the end of a weekend after burning about 150 gallons of fuel. The forward tank was empty. I ran the aft tank first, then switched to the center tank. It probably sits a bit lower with full fuel. Also, these are 30" shafts. Any insight here?

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
J.D.
Your location: Snohomish County WA

Post by J.D. »

For some reason, I cannot see the stern of Patience in the pics. I assume that since you are referring to the Cantilever Bracket, the boat is powered by outboards? I guess what I'm asking is how heavy are the outboards (which ones are they) versus the width of the boat chine to chine?
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

J.D. wrote:For some reason, I cannot see the stern of Patience in the pics. I assume that since you are referring to the Cantilever Bracket, the boat is powered by outboards? I guess what I'm asking is how heavy are the outboards (which ones are they) versus the width of the boat chine to chine?
JD,

Yes, I am referring to the Cantilever Bracket, POD, CET, extended transom...Amazing the different names for the place the outboards are hanging. The boat is powered with twin F250's with 30" shafts. They weigh +/- 650lbs wet I believe. The bottom of the boat is 8 foot from chine to chine, 10 foot beam across the gunnels, and 18 degrees at the stern variable up to the bow with 45- 50 degrees at the bow if I remember correctly. Here is a pic of the Cantilever Bracket, POD, CET, extended transom...:

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Pete: Here is a picture of my "Pod". As you can see it is an extension on the hull and is 33" in length. Since it is a separate sealed chamber it adds flotation to the stern of the boat. Daigle has put a lot of research and engineering into this "Pod" - it is not just a flat extension of the bottom of the hull. One of the things both the builder and I have noticed is how level the Dream Catches sits in the water. Additionally, the entire aft 9' of the boat is a combination of wet and dry storage - all of my fuel, water and waste are under the floor of the cabin and forward of the cabin door. Let me know when you and Too Loose want to drop by.

SB

J.D.
Your location: Snohomish County WA

Post by J.D. »

With 1200lbs of outboard on your levering bracket, I'd bet you'll be happy with extending the running surface of the transom on the width of boat. I agree that it does not look "too" stern heavy. So I wouldn't suggest having the bracket extended full width from chine to chine because you might get that bow down stance. The width of the bracket itself extended, and I think you'll be happy both with the static stance, and the hulls running attitude. May even improve the overall on step ride quality of what looks to already be a very seaworthy vessel.

Beauty of aluminum. Like you said, if it doesn't work, you can change it back.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

SB,

I have 50 gallons fresh water, 2 135 gallon fuel tanks, black water, and a 10 gallon diesel tank all under the cabin floor. The rear deck has 1 135 gallon fuel tank and two "wet" fish boxes. I look forward to seeing the boat. I noticed how level she sits i the water. That is what I am after. I have to do some clean up around the place after the storm this weekend, but will be in touch about the visit.

JD,

That is exactly what I had in mind. I think it will be a relatively cheap fix. Thanks.

Pete

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

ya'll are posting photos TOO BIGG!

Resize and they'll fit on the forum.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

JETTYWOLF wrote:ya'll are posting photos TOO BIGG!

Resize and they'll fit on the forum.
They seem to show up fine on my 'puter. What gives?

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

All of the pictures SO and I, as well as everyone else, have posted are good on my computer. The full picture is always there.

Jetty: Are you seeing a problem on your end?

SB
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

J.D. wrote:For some reason, I cannot see the stern of Patience in the pics.

I have the same problem, but if I right click to save the picture and open the picture up in photoshop...I can see the entire image. Wierd. Maybe a user setting issue we have.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Pete,

I think the pod you have give your engines more clean water which in turn gives you better speed and fuel effincey. I don't thin you boat is sitting that low in the stern that you need to do anything about it. I would muck rather have a heavier stern than a heavier bow for following seas. If I were to do anything to your pod I would make a vee shaped extention from each side to the center of the pod that followed the contour of the hulls bottom angles but it would be welded an inch above the drain holes. It wouldn't give a hue amount of bouancy but the vee since it would be in the center of the two engines would still give the engines mostly clean water. THe water coming off the back bottom of the transom til it hit the new bottom of the extended vee pod wouldn't be bad. I'll try to draw IT IN AUTO-cad AND POST IT SHORTLY. MTY

Just found this pix of what I was trying to discribe.
Last edited by Ironwoodtuna on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I have the settings set to a smaller size on the pictures [ 640X480 ] so some of the older pics will only show partials.

It's all about disk space and that is $$$$$$$. :wink:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Thanks Marty. I will talk with the builder this week and see what we can do. It will probably have to wait until spring. Thanks again.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1071#p8868
This was mine. Pic is worth a thousand words. For a boat that size, a Naval Architect may need to design the "pod".
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

So I wouldn't suggest having the bracket extended full width from chine to chine because you might get that bow down stance.
To add to that, there would be no place for the trim tabs.

This is always something to take into consideration. I added Batwing style tabs [Bennett's] With a Batwing style they have the same effect as a tab that is 2in wider. 10X12 Batwing vs. 12X12 regular.

This space can make a difference as to mounting and spacing as per installation instructions of the tabs.

Moving weight off the a$$ end of the boat is needed. For example if the batteries are in the stern. Each battery weighing 50lbs to 65lbs depending on the battery size itself and typical is at least 2 batteries.

Now I see a lot of different names for the same thing when were talking about motor brackets. That is confusing to a lot of people. It's still a motor bracket, either it is bolt on or weld on in the case some of these alum boats. Then there is the Euro transom. IE: Bracket built in with the bottom of the hull being full length.

A large flotation chamber / tub is better to have than not big enough in a retrofit. This subject is covered in depth on Classic Mako. We have learned a lot and the bracket manufactures are not always right. Some have outstanding results, some have so-so results and some have poor results. length of boat, motor weight, size of the tub all have effects on this.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Depending on one's monitor settings the pictures may be cut-off on the right. My eyes aren't too great anymore so I've adjusted my 17" monitors to 800x600 so text is larger. The way I see your pics easily is to stretch the browser window across both monitors.

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

[quote="Chaps"]Depending on one's monitor settings the pictures may be cut-off on the right. My eyes aren't too great anymore so I've adjusted my 17" monitors to 800x600 so text is larger. The way I see your pics easily is to stretch the browser window across both monitors.

I have noticed that some earlier posts with the old forum software, do not show up full size on my monitor. I suppose future photos will have to be resized. Thanks for all the insight, folks. I think we will try it this spring.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Now thats funny Chaps!
FishMagnet

Post by FishMagnet »

What is that bracket for on the port side of your transom used for....a kicker motor? bait tank?

thanks,

Wally
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Fish Magnet, the bracket is for a kicker for the tender. I will be building a crane this winter (hopefully) that will alleviate the need to remove the kicker from my tender. The entire set up will be hoisted into a cradle on the roof.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic