Alloy keeps your shoes clean!

A Place to Show and Tell
fishbulb

Alloy keeps your shoes clean!

Post by fishbulb »

If I had a glass boat, I'd have to jump out into the mud instead of using these handy stepping stones.

Everything is pretty much back to normal around here after being at a 40ft. flood stage just a few months ago.

A few more shots:

Lots of sailboats for sale right now, including this one.

All the water cops around here have Boston Whalers - I really think they need a few Blacklabs.

Pretty typical weekday - no boats in sight in any direction.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

I concur - the beaches around here are very rocky and I spend at least half my shop time repairing scarfed up keels and chines on Whalers and various other glass trailer boats. I've got a 15' Dauntless hanging in my rack with water dripping out of the damaged areas after a week of throwing the heat to it.

I put my alloys on the beach all the time, oftentimes on straight barnacle encrusted cobble and the worst that happens is my bottom paint gets chipped.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Damn that's a pretty area.....always better when a weekend comes and no ones around.

You boat looks as if it's a tiller alloy boat in the photo, but at a second look you can see the steering wheel.

It almost looked like a Florida Flats skiff.

Ya'll had the flooding right.....wow.

I guess all that finally headed out the Mississippi.

Haven't seen much of you. And we should. That's a neat/clean boat you have and a beautiful area to get here wet.

Thanks,
fishbulb

Post by fishbulb »

It definately has a steering wheel:

:P Seriously, sorry about the ice but the 50 degree evenings we've been having reminded me of cold again and this was a pefectly serviceable steering wheel picture.

I sadly couldn't do much boating in the flood water - mandatory no-boats on the lake any time the emergency gates are open, which was for a month or so. The coast guard even had part of the mississippi shut down over by the quad cities because there were so many levies about to breach.

This is a small river near town, usually about 75ft. across. The river is actually behind me here under a bridge. This picture shows how far this tiny river had blown out around the bridge, and this is a pretty high traffic highway.

Same river, this is a corn field to the right - water is 6-8 feet deep here and had white-caps on it for a while.

This was a road to a beach area, which is under water to the right:

Flood gates open:

Downstream of the gates, and this was also the last day that people were allowed below the dam. This is an earthen dam, so when it approaches max flood capacity, it is quite unknown if it will let loose from a gopher hole etc.

Driving across the dam, here is a shot downriver. There is a bridge about to go under and campgrounds on both sides.

Some beanfields and a sand plant:

*Bonus* alloy geological survey boat in action:

We've had two "500 year" floods in the last fifteen years. This year was at least the same level of flooding we had in '93 but less damage I think. In '93 the capitol city lost its waterworks for weeks but there were new levies put in since last time etc. It's also very regional, as parts of the state experienced much worse flooding than last time, just depends where the water is coming from.
Luke,

1973 Starcraft Sunbird tinny
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Damn Global warming......or is that Holy "under water" Cow!

awesome pics :!:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic