Newbie, builder question

Introduce yourself here
patrisage

Newbie, builder question

Post by patrisage »

Hey y'all!

I've been a lurker for a while and am grateful for the knowledge that's shared here.  Figured I should finally introduce myself, and I have a question.

I fish out of Bodega Bay, Northern California.  Mainly love chasing salmon (when we can), but also rockfish, halibut and sometimes tuna.  Lately bluefin have been coming around more, and I've been pushing further offshore; 40-50 miles instead of 5-10.

I previously had a 19' Pacific, which I loved but regrettably sold.  I primarily fish a Pioneer 197 Sportfish or a Whaler 210 Conquest, but I'm leaning towards going larger now that offshore is more in the cards.

I LOVE Pacific boats, have been corresponding with Ashlee, and am leaning more and more towards a V2600.  Pacifics check almost all my boxes; self-bailing, "unsinkable;)", bombproof, simple.  The only thing they don't have, which I really want, is wide reverse chines.  I'm often fishing in bigger water than I really should be, and it's not unusual to be returning in steep quartering following seas, particularly crossing the Tomales Bay bar.  My old Pacific 19 had a tendency to want to broach in these conditions and a couple times came close to burying the bow quarter.  I've fished a lot of different boats locally, and reverse chines seem to make a huge difference in preventing this behavior, arguably the most dangerous I encounter.

So: my newbie question to the AluminumAlloy hive mind:  Before I pull the V2600 trigger, is there another builder I should consider who makes boats Pacific-bombproof that similarly self-bailing, "unsinkable" AND have wide reverse chines?

Thanks!!

PS: here's an extreme example from Australia: https://waveriderboats.com.au/directional-control/   These have too blunt an entry, are wider and smaller than I want, but their design philosophy re reverse chines resonates with my experience.
gandrfab
Your location: Edgewater Fl

Re: Newbie, builder question

Post by gandrfab »

Simple no broach answer, go faster.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic