Bottom paint - Canada

General boating discussion
grump444

Bottom paint - Canada

Post by grump444 »

Hi all,

Looking to get some protection on the bottom of our new rig. Based on the great information on previous posts, including full schooling from Chaps, I'm leaning towards ~4 coats of epoxy barrier coat (InterProtect 2000E), and 2-3 coats of antifouling. 

The problem/question I have is that Tri-Lux II has been discontinued in Canada and I don't believe there is another copper thiocyanate based alternative. I've been told that Interlux recommends a Copper Oxide (ie. Bottomkote) over 4-6 layers of epoxy barrier coat, while keeping the barrier coat a few inches above the leading edge of the anti-fouling at the waterline.  

I'm concerned that a scratch in the bottom paint (eg. from beaching) will result in exposing the bare aluminum to harmful copper. Does this seem risky, or am I overthinking it? Does more epoxy barrier coat provide better isolation, and mitigate this problem?

Many thanks,
Mike 
Laxputs

Re: Bottom paint - Canada

Post by Laxputs »

Hopefully you get some insight, I'm following this thread.

(I own a 20 foot aluminum hull coated with epoxy, a primer, and Trilux 2. I believe TL2 is now banned in Canada. That's fine, I want to get away from toxic products. Hoping to find a bottom paint I can apply over the existing TL2 (that is available in Canada and eco friendly.))

Please let me know if you hear of options. Thanks very much.
IronwoodIsland

Re: Bottom paint - Canada

Post by IronwoodIsland »

I don't think Trilux II was banned in Canada, I've been told that Interlux decided to stop making it specially for the Canadian Market since the market is so small. They still make Trilux 33 for sale in the USA which is the same copper thiocyante paint but with a slime fighting biocide that is banned in Canada. They just didn't want to make a separate paint for Canada.

Whatever the story this is a real problem for Canadians with aluminum boats, we need to rattle our lawmakers to align Canadian anti-fouling standards with those in the USA since it is too much bother for manufacturers to comply with Canadian regulations so they simply ignore our market. There are other better paints than Trilux II for aluminum boats but they are not "approved" in Canada (i.e. tested and listed as allowed for import).

This results in our having to use unsuitable products with higher environmental impacts (ie copper loaded paint that accumulates in the sediment and water column).
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic