Toured and Amazing and Unique Boat For Sale

Sell or Trade your Alloy boat here
VirtualHuck

Toured and Amazing and Unique Boat For Sale

Post by VirtualHuck »

Summary: Built-like a tank, self righting, aluminum hull shallow draft, semi-displacement, beachable, low air-draft boat, with reasonably fuel consumption, bulletproof engines,  a few davit/winch setups, that is on Lake Eerie (on the Great Loop path, so can get anywhere in the Eastern US/Canada), and possible to be trailered (probably a 1x event, the boat was actually trailered from Baltimore to the Great Lakes when the owner had it imported).  Approximately 38' LOA, 12'6" beam, 3' draft, 12' air draft (things folded down). ~17 knot  top speed, 15 knot cruise (1.5 mpg at 9mph, .8 mpg @ 17 mph, .5 mpg @ 20 mph (91.5 liters per hour at 15.28 knots at approx. 2,600 rpm which is about .18 nautical miles per liter).  Listing:  https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1988-f ... s-8671328/.

Here is a link to pictures/video from my tour of the boat (I'm not a good photographer and was more interested in talking with the owner/broker and inspecting the boat...): https://photos.app.goo.gl/ajzkQVa6nTQEcM487

More details...

I've been searching for a long range displacement (or semi-displacement) shallow draft aluminum boat with reasonable (to me) dimensions of a 36' - 42' LOA, 12' -16' Beam, <12' air draft, that is overbuilt and more utilitarian than fancy...  My interest lies primarily with the Down East Loop and surrounding areas (NY Canals, Great Lakes, Champlain, St. Lawrence river, Nova Scotia, Maine Coast around to NY/Hudson).

I was surprised to find a very good candidate on Lake Erie, and it is a boat that can do a lot more than my list above.  

In short, it is a retired RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution) Mersey Class Rescue Boat. Here is a video from RNLI that gives a pretty good overview of the boat and how it is used/maintained: https://youtu.be/ce0MvB770tU)   It is self-righting, heavy weather capable boat that is built like a tank.  It is shallow draft (approx. 3'), low air-draft (it was trailered from Baltimore to the great lakes), and can be beached (tunnel hull).  There is a lot of information available about this class of boat online (some good heavy-weather footage: https://youtu.be/jOnLaIwbBg8).  These boats are built to government spec and are in the millions to build new.  They are maintained to perfection at the RNLI.  The boat is listed at a little over $200K USD ($275K, CAD).

After researching the boat in detail, I was sure this was the boat for me with one exception...  The dual motors are in the center section of the boat (further forward than typical) and I needed some of that space to be available in my conversion to a live-aboard cruiser.  I received drawings of the boat and photos, but it wasn't possible to tell for sure and I needed to see it in person...

I went to tour the boat this weekend and was prepared to make an offer.  The owner is extremely experienced and has continued to maintain the boat perfectly.  The broker was very helpful and accommodating as well. EVERYTHING about the boat was the same or better than expected, BUT the mid-ship space with the Diesels is not able to be converted to any finished space (there is decent cabin space at the bow, but you walk through the "engine room" to get there.

I'm posting this because it is an amazing boat and a rare one to find at a reasonable price. If it fit my use, I would have made an offer this weekend. Unfortunately, it doesn't but I hope it finds a good home.  I have no connection with the boat, seller, broker, I just love the boat.

Attachments
Boat1.jpg
Boat1.jpg (150.81 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Boat2.jpg
Boat2.jpg (138.18 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Small Aluminum Adventure Boat
2018 20' Stanley Islander
(https://stanleyboats.ca/islander/)
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Toured and Amazing and Unique Boat For Sale

Post by kmorin »

V'Huck,
Buy her right (for a song?) gut her and sell the Cat's to finance a pair of decent sized O/B's and put a bracket w electric/hyd. engine jacks on her stern. Use the old engine room as great cabin and cruise into the sunset? Hull must plane or they'd have no use of trim tabs? Still w those huge prop pockets a pair of 100-200 hp engines could be raised so high that you could run in 2' of water?

Cheers
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
VirtualHuck

Post by VirtualHuck »

That was/is definitely a consideration. I had focused on changing to pod drives (there are already access ports above the props at the top of the tunnels above the waterline) inside a low clearance area below the rear sole. I had also thought about changing to electric motors and running them with a generator in that rear space as planing speeds aren't important to me (had been looking for a full displacement anyway). I worry that my lack of boat building experience will get me in over my head... I'm very comfortable with fitting out a new interior, but changing the propulsion system, weight distribution, and other things that should probably be designed by a naval architect or engineer makes me nervous.... But you gave me thinking again, maybe that is the route to go....
VirtualHuck

Post by VirtualHuck »

Just a quick update (see bottom, may consider selling):

I ended up buying the boat last fall (2023) and piloted it across Lake Erie to Buffalo, then through the entire Erie Canal, and finally up the Hudson/Champlain Canal to Lake Champlain (South Hero VT is home port).   I had no idea of how deep the history went with this boat as it was the first Mersey Class boat produced and it has a number of rescues in big water.

It was an amazing adventure and the boat is even better than I expected. The shallow 3' draft gave a lot of options for wall tie-ups (not all of the canal is perfectly maintained and ended up in some fairly shallow water). The mast folds down really easily, so we could do the entire canal without issue (taller boats can't do the Western part which was my favorite part of the canal). The twin 280hp caterpillar engines with props in tunnels gives amazing and easy control.  I was sure bow thrusters would be a much needed addition, but not needed at all. I built a small galley with sink and pressurized water. I temporarily converted the front "survivors cabin" to a small cabin with a good size bed for a couple. I setup a portable toilet in the engine room which actually worked really well as you get full privacy as there are water-tight bulkhead doors on each end providing total privacy. It was a little awkward to step over the toilet here and there, but it was pretty low and wasn't an issue.  The boat was much quitter than I had expected. The exterior raised-helm was the preferred spot to pilot it from (rather than from the interior) as it had great visibility and just a fun place to be.  The overall size is very reasonable and I never had an issue finding a slip when needed.

The boat was a social magnet as everyone wanted to know more about it. It is truly an amazing conversation starter and people would ignore the million dollar boats and instead be checking out this boat. It is kind of the equivalent of having a hot-rod tank :-).

It now has all the official import paperwork, is documented with the USCG, and insured.  I have a punch-list of little things to do on the boat over the next year or two, then hope to start a refit to make it a 2-cabin boat.  I worked with a great naval architect for the initial survey (experienced with aluminum and this type of boat as they also have an office in Europe), and will continue to use him for any design changes on the refit.  The great news is that the RNLI takes impeccable care of their boats and the maintenance on it has been perfect.

If it was just me and my girlfriend, I'm not sure I would change much (and may not). With that being said, my girlfriend and I travel with her twin sister and her sister's husband, so the original idea was to figure out a more permanent 4-person setup (I did most of the trip with 4-people with temporary berths/sleeping cots in the pilot house). To change the boat to a 2-cabin, single-head setup, it will be a pretty major refit.  Because of that, I'm probably going to list if for sale before I start the refit.  If I can get a reasonable price for it, then I may let it go. If not, then I'll be excited to dig in for the refit.

If anyone is interested, let me know, I plan on listing it initially for around $175,000 depending on how much work I do to it beforehand.  The boat can technically be trailered (wide load, very close to the 13'6 max height depending on trailer setup with everything folded down), but makes more sense for water transport under it's own hull.  While it still seems weird to me, you can get just about anywhere in the world from Lake Champlain (head north through the Chambly canal to the Hudson, then west to Montreal, Ottawa, and the Great Lake, or east down the Hudson to Nova Scotia and out into the northern Atlantic. Or you can head south from Lake Champlain and head down the Hudson to NY city and continue along the Eastern Seaboard (inland waterway), or head east in Albany along the Erie Canal and get to lake Erie.  From the Great Lakes you can head south down the central US rivers) to the Gulf of Mexico.  This would actually be a fantastic Great Loop Boat (safe, reasonable fuel at displacement speeds, shallow draft, low bridge clearance, and extremely robust).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic