Epoxy Paint in fish boxes

A Place to Show and Tell
salmonater

Epoxy Paint in fish boxes

Post by salmonater »

I have a fair amount of corrosion in my under deck fish boxes and I've cleaned, wired brushed, used Zep-a-Lume, rinsed, neutralized the surfaces with Industrial strength Ammonia, and I'm now looking for recommendations on a epoxy paint to cover the surface, so I don't have to deal with this in the future.

I've found this online

salmonater

Re: Epoxy Paint in fish boxes

Post by salmonater »

Anyone used this or something else with good results?
salmonater

Post by salmonater »

Anybody done this, how did it work?
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

This was the premier forum for all things aluminum plate boats.
salmonater

Post by salmonater »

gandrfab wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:54 am This was the premier forum for all things aluminum plate boats.

I'm not sure I'm following you, thats's why I'm here, The fishing boxes are in a 31' North River! This post has been up for over a week, with zero responses, so I'm not sure about premier.

gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

'was'
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

salmonater,

I'm not the coatings expert here, that title goes to (member name) Chaps as he's involved in that business and has seen first hand about everything that's involved with coating marine alloy aluminum.

So, if he's not dropped by to comment then you might try the archives/search function?  I think Chaps has answered this question quite a few times in past threads? So looking up those threads and reading them a few times might help with product selection?

On another branch of the tree of knowledge, I'm pretty sure there are industrial coatings outlets that specialize in tank linings that might be able to help you with product selection?  https://www.coatingpaint.com/tank-coating-and-lining/     armorshieldlining.com
https://www.rawlinspaints.com/tank-pipe-lining-coatings &  PPG is well known for its very wide product line and long term performance.

Chaps may reply to a direct PM on the site? He'd sure be the one person I'd trust to give clear, straight and informed feedback for your question.

I don't reply that much anymore as I'm having some fairly preoccupying health issues combined with our pretty extensive archive of past threads.  Saying the same thing over and over is not all that attractive to me right now; so I don't post much when we've already covered the topic in multiple threads.

Sorry G&R you don't feel like AAB.com Forum is still a premier Forum?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK

kmorin
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

The action activity has faded. 

salmonater

Post by salmonater »

kmorin wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:32 am salmonater,

I'm not the coatings expert here, that title goes to (member name) Chaps as he's involved in that business and has seen first hand about everything that's involved with coating marine alloy aluminum.

So, if he's not dropped by to comment then you might try the archives/search function?  I think Chaps has answered this question quite a few times in past threads? So looking up those threads and reading them a few times might help with product selection?

On another branch of the tree of knowledge, I'm pretty sure there are industrial coatings outlets that specialize in tank linings that might be able to help you with product selection?  https://www.coatingpaint.com/tank-coating-and-lining/     armorshieldlining.com
https://www.rawlinspaints.com/tank-pipe-lining-coatings &  PPG is well known for its very wide product line and long term performance.

Chaps may reply to a direct PM on the site? He'd sure be the one person I'd trust to give clear, straight and informed feedback for your question.

I don't reply that much anymore as I'm having some fairly preoccupying health issues combined with our pretty extensive archive of past threads.  Saying the same thing over and over is not all that attractive to me right now; so I don't post much when we've already covered the topic in multiple threads.

Sorry G&R you don't feel like AAB.com Forum is still a premier Forum?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK

Thanks Kevin, I’ll ping Bob if he doesn’t chime in. Praying for good health for you. 

BCTony

Post by BCTony »

salmonater wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:11 pm I have a fair amount of corrosion in my under deck fish boxes

I too have a North River Seahawk Offshore 24' and I too have had corrosion problems with my two side underfloor fish boxes. viewtopic.php?t=6124 But not the big main fish box in the centre. Firstly, I acid rinsed, but, the corrosion returned so I epoxy painted and both have remained fine since. Why this should occur and only the to the two shallower (and optional) fish boxes I have now idea. I have wondered if these fish boxes were constructed using a different grade of aluminium to the rest of the boat.

salmonater

Post by salmonater »

BCTony wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:33 pm
salmonater wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:11 pm I have a fair amount of corrosion in my under deck fish boxes

I too have a North River Seahawk Offshore 24' and I too have had corrosion problems with my two side underfloor fish boxes. viewtopic.php?t=6124 But not the big main fish box in the centre. Firstly, I acid rinsed, but, the corrosion returned so I epoxy painted and both have remained fine since. Why this should occur and only the to the two shallower (and optional) fish boxes I have now idea. I have wondered if these fish boxes were constructed using a different grade of aluminium to the rest of the boat.

Tony, that’s the same as mine, the 2 side boxes but not the main box, I went thru the archives, and came across your posts. I applied Epoxy Barrier coat to my boxes last week. Thanks for posting this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic