Is this corrosion serious?

Mods and custom builds
Doback

Is this corrosion serious?

Post by Doback »

Hi. I’m looking at buying a boat, but some corrosion on the hull has me concerned. I was wonder if this is something I could sand off or acid wash, or if it’s serious and I should just find another boat. There are some barnacle marks where it appears the owner removed some barnacles, but also some black and white spots that are only on the bottom of the hull. The sides have shark hide on them and there is no other corrosion on the boat that I could see. Any input would be appreciated. 

edit: none of these marks appear to have any pitting underneath them. The white marks can be removed by scratching with my fingernail.

Attachments
0C872129-DC5D-4FB8-9435-CC08DF9AFE44.jpeg
0C872129-DC5D-4FB8-9435-CC08DF9AFE44.jpeg (223.53 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Is this corrosion serious?

Post by kmorin »

Doback, Welcome to the AAB.com Forum.

Serious corrosion usually described pitting of some level.  Since you don't show pitting and you can wipe the white corrosion sites off the surface with a fingernail?  Then I wouldn't call it serious.

From the photo you can see the hull wasn't etched of mill scale after it was built and that is what appears to be holding the water vapor next to the parent metal (underneath)- so if you etch like the thread just below your post?  I believe you'll have solved your problem.  The white flowers shown is the beginning of deeper corrosion cells at each point of the color changes.

If the boat was in the water long enough for barnacles to attach/form then there might be other considerations? Shore power hook?  Battery system not bonded to the hull in one single location?  Or maybe the harbor/mooring was electrically 'hot'?

Otherwise, spray it with acid, let if foam and then rinse until the etch is diluted and washed off.

Do we get to see the rest of the boat?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic