New guy - first alloy boat

General boating discussion
Zeronalo

New guy - first alloy boat

Post by Zeronalo »

Aloha

ive been reading some good stuff on alloy boats so I joined. 

I bought a Stabicraft 2500 sport fish last year, the open cabin not the xl, and I’m impatiently waiting on delivery. Delay, delay,delay……….

anyway. Interested in how to keep corrosion at bay and take care of the thing. This seems to be the place.

aloha

freddy

welder
Site Admin

Re: New guy - first alloy boat

Post by welder »

Welcome Aboard Freddy
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
rocky_taco

Re: New guy - first alloy boat

Post by rocky_taco »

Zeronalo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:42 pm I bought a Stabicraft 2500 sport fish last year, the open cabin not the xl, and I’m impatiently waiting on delivery. Delay, delay,delay……….

anyway. Interested in how to keep corrosion at bay and take care of the thing. This seems to be the place.

I empathize with your delivery delay and waiting pain.

There is a lot of info about corrosion on this site.  LOTS!  K.Moran has posted a PhD's worth of information on the topic.  Not sure I've ever seen a list in one place of all the things a new aluminum boat owner should do to prevent corrosion though. 

A few things that stick in my mind mostly from various posts I've read are as follows:
1. Be careful with wires especially when you trim insulation.  Little pieces of copper in the bilge can eat through the hull.
2. Do not use hull as a ground path.  Run ground wires for all electric needs.  There is something about battery grounding.  I don't recall the details now.  But I'd search for that in the forum.
3. Use TEF gel to isolate your stainless fasteners. 
4. the best material for the sacrificial anode is different for fresh and salt water. 

From what I've gathered/understand, mostly all of the corrosion issues center around water+dissimilar metals, or Water + stray current (usually around a marina).  Being a trailer-able'ish sized boat, not slipping it and storing it under a roof would likely eliminate much of the potential opportunity for corrosion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic