Line-X for boat hull?

Mods and custom builds
Pirate-1

Line-X for boat hull?

Post by Pirate-1 »

I tried a search but when I searched "Line-X" I got every post that had the word "line" in it or "X" in it...sixty-some pages. Just wondering if anyone has used Line-X truck bed liner to coat the hull of your boat from the waterline and below. The old boat we picked up that we will be working on has some areas with small holes from corrosion, which will be repaired, but I was wondering if anyone has tried Line-X to seal things and (hopefully) prevent any more leaks. If someone's done it was it worth doing and did it hold up in the water. Good and bad experiences, thoughts, opinions? Just an idea at this point but if someone has done this it'd be nice to hear from someone with experience with this. I know the standard Line-X is textured and will likely result in slowing the boat down but from what I've read I believe they have a version that isn't textured so that should reduce that problem. Anyway, just wondering if this is a complete left-field idea or if it's actually been done successfully. Thanks!
welder
Site Admin

Re: Line-X for boat hull?

Post by welder »

Most of the Line-X i see in pickup beds will have an air bubble in it somewhere due to poor prep, if that happens in your boat you will have problems I believe.
Hope some else will chime in.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Pirate-1

Post by Pirate-1 »

welder wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:45 pm Most of the Line-X i see in pickup beds will have an air bubble in it somewhere due to poor prep, if that happens in your boat you will have problems I believe.
Hope some else will chime in.
I've had Line-X on two trucks over the course of 17 years and never had a bubble, tear, or cut in either truck bed. I believe prep is the key though.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Bedliner is not a particularly good choice, its likely not submersion rated (will eventually lose adhesion, particularly on aluminum). Epoxy paint in it's various forms would work better as an underwater capable coating. It is tough, would seal up the metal well and you could smoothly apply it yourself with a roller. As with any paint, prep (cleaning, sanding, etc) is of major importance.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Pirate-1

Post by Pirate-1 »

Anybody else?
Sobie2

Post by Sobie2 »

I completely removed the rubberized spary in bedliner from my 2006 Aluminum Chambered Boats 26' center console. It had bubbled up in many places and had water in the bubbles. This also caused corrosion and most of it came up in big pieces. There was also pitting under it so I don't recommend spray on bedliners for plate aluminum boats.

Sobie2
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic