unknown Alloy boat

A Place to Show and Tell
oldboat

Re: unknown Alloy boat

Post by oldboat »

MacCTD wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:37 pm That steel boat has some great lines.
yes it does!! it made me stop in my tracks and turn around to go look at it.. it is owned by a old man that has had it many years and told me several stories about having it out on the Great Lakes.. its very solid except for a few holes rusted through the hull. he had sheeting welded on it once before where it had rusted through ..
oldboat

Post by oldboat »

TheGimpCB wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:15 pm Yes I found it abandoned on private land I went and talked to the owner of the property it was an old man he said his son dropped it off there sometime in the early 90s I asked him it was for sale and he said everything's for sale lol so after I made the deal I told him I'd be back the next weekend with the equipment and a flatbed. After a couple of months of frustration trying to figure out how to register it I was told if I welded something on the boat I could then register it as a homemade vessel so I did just that and the state issued me a homemade boat hull number
Wow !! that's awesome !! what was the inside set up like ??
TheGimpCB

Post by TheGimpCB »

Once upon a Time it had a 50 caliber mount in the front and 2 m60 mounts aft I don't know when the top was mounted on it. it's completely empty in the inside ready for whatever I want to do with it here's a couple of pictures of boats built during the same time at the same shipyard
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (7.89 KiB) Viewed 12016 times
tn_439945.jpg
tn_439945.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 12016 times
PBR_collor_4_66.jpg
PBR_collor_4_66.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 12016 times
oldboat

Post by oldboat »

WOW !! that's awesome !! how long is it ??
oldboat

Post by oldboat »

Just wondering what horsepower motor would be right for my newest boat ?? it has a old 140 on it now is that about right or should it be larger ??
here's a photo I took today looking straight on !!
Attachments
DSC03075.JPG
DSC03075.JPG (166.87 KiB) Viewed 12007 times
Krisinak

Post by Krisinak »

oldboat wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:30 pm Just wondering what horsepower motor would be right for my newest boat ?? it has a old 140 on it now is that about right or should it be larger ??
what does it weigh? i can't imagine it is too heavy. how strong is the transom? i don't suppose there is any sort of placarding regarding max power. haha.
i can visualize a yamaha 90 2 stroke doing the job.
oldboat

Post by oldboat »

Krisinak wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:18 am
oldboat wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:30 pm Just wondering what horsepower motor would be right for my newest boat ?? it has a old 140 on it now is that about right or should it be larger ??
what does it weigh? i can't imagine it is too heavy. how strong is the transom? i don't suppose there is any sort of placarding regarding max power. haha.
i can visualize a yamaha 90 2 stroke doing the job.
I don't know the weight.. I've had a couple people guess at 4000 and 4500 ?? those are just guesses... the aluminum is thicker then your average aluminum boat with the hull and decking quite thick.. its 22.5' long and a 6' 2" wide transom and the transom is boxed aluminum.. the boat did have a Yamaha on it at some point.. I overheard one person at the auction say it was underpowered with the 140 on it and they thought a 200 hp. would be about right but after talking to a guy selling a 200 hp. Johnson and him telling me what it did on his 28' X 10' pontoon work barge and he decided it was too much power and went back to his original motor, it made me think it was probably to much for this 22.5' boat..
TheGimpCB

Post by TheGimpCB »

You can do a lot of guessing and guessing might get you close but in reality the only way you're going to know what motor to put on that boat is to find out how much she weighs. Then you're going to ask yourself is the fuel tank in her going to be large enough if you put a bigger motor on? What is your desired Cruise speed that's going to play a huge part of the equation. Remember you want to have enough horsepower so that you can safely operate the boat but you don't always want to be wide open throttle to get you where you want to go. All that being said if your transom you showing signs of broken welds with the motor you have on now then that's too much horsepower you're going to have to structurally build your transom for whatever motor you want to put on it.
oldboat

Post by oldboat »

TheGimpCB wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:56 pm You can do a lot of guessing and guessing might get you close but in reality the only way you're going to know what motor to put on that boat is to find out how much she weighs. Then you're going to ask yourself is the fuel tank in her going to be large enough if you put a bigger motor on? What is your desired Cruise speed that's going to play a huge part of the equation. Remember you want to have enough horsepower so that you can safely operate the boat but you don't always want to be wide open throttle to get you where you want to go. All that being said if your transom you showing signs of broken welds with the motor you have on now then that's too much horsepower you're going to have to structurally build your transom for whatever motor you want to put on it.
Ok thanks, next step is getting it weighed then.. the transom looks great right now.. but from what I was told the 140 that's on it was probably only used once by his brother .. as for fuel tanks it has two built in but I'm not sure on the gallons each hold.. as for speed... being a novice rather conservative for awhile.. lol I'll be running it mostly on rivers and inland lakes, maybe a little on the Great lakes as I get more accustomed with it..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic