trim tab position

Mods and custom builds
Merlin

trim tab position

Post by Merlin »

I'm getting a lot of work done on the boat - it's been slow because every time I need something I have to beg someone to bring it down from the states. But, it's looking great!

I am installing trim tabs on the boat but have a small hurdle to overcome. The boat has a factory installed swim step with supports welded to the transom right where the tabs should be positioned.

I checked with the manufacturer and they said it was no problem to move them inboard and that it wouldn't affect performance. I'm tempted to remove the swim step in favor of placing the tabs in the correct position. The swim step has always caused some disruption of water flow off the stern anyway. Of course, with the tab below the support bracket that problem may be eliminated.

I am looking for any insights. The swim step is cool but performance is more important for me.

Lastly, here's a little teaser shot of the new floor panels. They are just laid in there right now because I still have some painting to do before I screw them in and caulk them. I'm stoked with it so far!

Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

The tabs on my cape horn are mounted closer to the keel than the outer chines, and while they do provide stern lift, side to side load leveling is not as effective. When its windy everyone want to sit on one side and to get the ride level, one tab is all the way down to balance the boat acting more like a brake. Less angle provides the same effect on the chine.

Lenco has a short and a standard piston that may help the fit, but knocking off the swim step is an easy job, and adding a fin to the motor's cavitation plate that will supply bow lift (tabs won-t) and also provide a step when boarding from the back is a more viable option for this application IMO.
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Merlin,

The boat is coming together nicely

You can maybe cut a clearance hole in the step to allow the top of the trim cylinder to pass through and bolt down and move the left brace to the top side of the step which will allow you to bolt the tab in place.

1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Melin, How are you doing? The Bayrunner is coming along sweet. Good job. I know the pain of bringing hardware down into Mexico. I have had friends have plumbing fixtures confiscated. What is the wieght ratio of your new floorboards vrs. your old?

Scott great Idea.

Scott......... What is that perforated tube to the right on the picture?????

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I'm well, thanks for asking. Busy with the boat project, some fishing off the beach (lots of halibut this time of year), and surfing - the surf has been up so it's hard to get much done.

That is a great idea, I'll modify the step and reattach it at a later time. I want to get the trim tab set properly first. I want to maximize the trim because when everyone moves to leeward to avoid the spray I want to keep her level and light boats lean even more. The wife's gettin' pissed at me for makin' her sit in the spray all the time!

I'm really stoked on the floor panels. They are solid and it's nice to know they won't ever rot out. I have a good plan for attaching everything so as soon as I get her painted up everything is going back in - I figure to be done in a couple of weeks. I'm still deciding on which bait tank to use - I have two kodiak tanks, a 32 and a 45, and the stock aluminum tank. Right now I'm leaning toward the stock tank because it bolts together with the T-top and floor boards making everything tight. And, that tank has always served me well in the past.

I'm guessing the panels weigh a little more than the plywood that was in there. I was going to epoxy or NON ALLOY the plywood so probably about the same as the new plywood panels were going to be. The new NON ALLOY floor panels are thinner to keep weight and costs down but I'm left with a small pride along the edge.

I'll post a complete report when it's done.
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

"I want to maximize the trim because when everyone moves to leeward to avoid the spray I want to keep her level and light boats lean even more. The wife's gettin' pissed at me for makin' her sit in the spray all the time!"

Once you get the trim tabs, it won't matter where they move because you'll trim the boat level and they'll keep on getting wet and you can say... Image

Keep the progress report coming Merlin
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Scott......... What is that perforated tube to the right on the picture?????"
Mark,
The tube to the right is my BURLEY BUCKET CHUMMER
Well, actually a copy of a Braid chummer
We were talking about it a few months back
http://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic ... 7&start=15
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Ahhh ..........Missed that discussion. Here I thought, I would get Jetty all excited.

Merlin 32 gallons vrs. 45 gallons is about 110 lbs of wieght on the Kodiaks. For some reason the stock square tank works better than most. I cannot explain it but bait stays healthy in that stock tank.

What is your prefered bait down south........... My pick is a eight to nine inch pacific mackeral. Do you use bait rigs or cast net?

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Yes, the stock tank is pretty solid - not too pretty, but it works well. And, like I said, everything bolts together making the T-top very solid.

Bait? Just depends on what's around. Sabiki for macks and throw net when the sardines are in.

Late June and early July we see a ton of striped marlin in close but they are very lazy - nothing like a fresh mackie to wake 'em up!
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Vovlo Boat Trim Kit

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Merlin,

I would cut the left support bracket off the transom and move it up to allow you to add a 4" x 24" x 1/2" flat plate to be welded onto the transom from your outer chine line. Then install a set of the Volvo plastic BoatTrim trim tabs on you vessel.

I had and took off the Bennet trim taqbs, I found they robbed me of 3-4 knots of top end speed and the Volvo Boat trim system componets are no metalic and electric with now fluids to maintain.

Here is a picture of the flat plates to weld on:

Here are the Volvo Boat Trim pictures:
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Well, that looks pretty simple and certainly saves me some space on the transom. Not sure I can get a plate welded on down here is the problem. But, I would like to learn more - where can I get some info?

How do they work?
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Damn, those are sweet. What about pitching side to side while drifting - seems like regular tabs would slow it down a bit? The Volvo unit looks pretty killer but I already have some new lenco tabs down here - not sure I'm gonna be able to send mine back to get these. Not to mention the welding issue.

There's always something new, isn't there. Thanks for the info.

Either way, the swim step is coming off today. I'll either modify it or live without it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic