1999 Edwing needs help

General boating discussion
MallardRain20
Your location: United States

1999 Edwing needs help

Post by MallardRain20 »

Hello All

I'm fortunate to inherit a 1999 21' Edwing from my Dad. It has been mainly used in salt water and has sat idol for a couple years. We went to resurrect it last weekend and found more then a few issues. We just spent about $1200 dollars to remove the old gas and replace many parts in the fuel system. When Sportcraft marina went to replace the fuel gauge they notice extensive corrosion around were the spending unit goes into the tank. They don't work on tanks so they left it as is. We need to start there and I would also like to overhaul the electrical system and electronics. I'm looking for ideas and people that can do this type of work around the Portland metro area or were ever. I know there are a few owners of these boat on this form so hopefully you have some ideas because they are kind of unique boats.

Andrew
Attachments
IMG_20150314_120451231.jpg
IMG_20150315_121451112.jpg
IMG_20150315_121534235.jpg
IMG_20150315_121621377.jpg
IMG_20150315_121515752.jpg
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: 1999 Edwing needs help

Post by Chaps »

Welcome to AAB, sorry to hear of your loss

I had one of those boats but with a center console instead of the small cabin.

Edwin built a decent enough boat when it came to design and weld-up but rigging (including electrical) was IMO pretty poor.

Not sure what kind of tank you have there in the cockpit floor, I thought on the 21's he only did saddle tanks under each gunwale.
That tank almost looks like it was put in at some later date by someone else as all the 21 hulls were airtight below decks.

There are a lot of Edwings owned by the guys that post on iFish.net, an Oregon Coast blog that might be able to suggest someone to help with your issues.

They are simple boats, gut and replace the wiring and get rid of that center tank and weld up the hole for starters. If you are handy get after it!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Re: 1999 Edwing needs help

Post by kmorin »

MallardRain20,
The plate material of the sender was pretty obviously cadmium plated steel? Not sure on that- but the looks are there. Second, even though the sender mount plate seems to show two wires? any time that plate was damp the hull was the anode as even with a good copper conductor back to DC Neg, the hull likely the path of least resistance? What happens, in my experience, is the copper will corrode seriously just inside/under the insulation of the wires, this creates a thinning of the wires so the resistance goes up, so the hull becomes the low resistance path to zero potential DC- not the return leg.

This type of installation is not very sound practice- wet DC wires on the deck? - not my idea of safe or well thought out hardware. The results are obvious, even with some gasketing and goop bedding- the cad covered plate corroded due to standing water and likely stray current corrosion of the surrounding area, no telling what or where it shows up under the waterline?

Then the trip hazard of a 'deck pipe' and wire conduit? Well I guess my view is this was poorly done, and should be removed, deck patched and the tanks moved to somewhere the install isn't so problematic.

just a view from afar, hope you find someone locally to help with this work?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic