Last Weekend 4 Kings (Gray's Harbor, Wa.)

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
wetwhopper
Your location: Pacific Beach, WA.

Last Weekend 4 Kings (Gray's Harbor, Wa.)

Post by wetwhopper »

This weekend is the last weekend you can fish for Chinook where I live in Grays Harbor, Wa. Because of the beautiful dry weather we've been experiencing this fall I was unable to put together my normal crew (guys mostly work construction).

I was feeling a bit dejected and resigned myself to a weekend of caulking and painting when out of nowhere I get called by my buddy Mack wanting to know if I wanted to go fishing with he and his daughter.

All day long we had birds diving everywhere (thought they were going to hit the boat a few times). At times the fish finder would stop registering the depth there was so much bait. Went with red label hering and tied off whole. Slow troll inside and outside of the John's River inlet. Not a big tidal exchange today... early windwaves and a weird east wind forced us to speed our troll a bit, but settled down nicely later on. We lost a few nice kings and came home with some coho (which are starting to show up in some numbers). All in all I had an outstanding day! :thumbsup:
Attachments
salmon.jpg
salmon.jpg (46.52 KiB) Viewed 5304 times
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: Last Weekend 4 Kings (Gray's Harbor, Wa.)

Post by Chaps »

Nice! I fished John's River last week as well on a friends alloy sled, picked up a King and a couple of Coho. What a zoo of boats - wow! For those unfamiliar this fishery is in Gray's Harbor on the WA coast near where the Johns River empties into the bay.

Some real hogs get picked up in there every year. Slow troll herring near the bottom in about 20' of water in the yellow highlighted area.
grays_harbor.jpg
grays_harbor.jpg (193.1 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Sounds like a great day on the water wetwhopper. Congrats on those nice salmon :thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Rich Good looking fish there. This weekend the rains of Fall start. Means most of the fish in the sound will be on a rail for the river. :banghead:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Simply awesome :thumbsup: Nice work :beer:
wetwhopper
Your location: Pacific Beach, WA.

Post by wetwhopper »

Thanks for the kind words all. Chaps... nice job on the king! I lost both mine Sat. and am going to start experimenting with a 3 hook rig next year. John I heard rain too... Time to break out the 10' john boat and hit my favorite coho spot. Trying to convince a buddy that he has a pressing need to buy a driftboat (aluminum of course) for winter steelhead... :mrgreen:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic