Warm and dry WCVI weekend!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

Warm and dry WCVI weekend!

Post by Sculpin »

We made it back up this past weekend and sure enjoyed the weather compared to 2 weeks ago lol. What a gorgeous weekend. A couple of hunting buddies came up for the weekend and we managed few salmon and some bottom fish. Had a fun time for sure.

It was gorgeous out on the banks with a bit of a breeze on Saturday.

Hooked up right away.

We caught our limit of smaller springs and managed a couple of hatch job coho out on the bank in pretty short order. Small anchovie in chartruese teaser heads behind purple haze flashers worked for us. We trolled up a couple of chickens as well. One was caught on a Turd that I rigged up with a Pirate's Den LED light. One fish for us with it so far. I'll try it again through out the season and give an honest opinion after.

We fished inside on Sunday and the coho were sure fun. Just followed the birds and bait balls around and saw lot's of action. White hootchies and the Honey Badger spoon worked good.

Appetizers in camp. Mmmmm.

A buddy of mine taking his rock fish fishing pretty seriously lol!

John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Re: Warm and dry WCVI weekend!

Post by Sculpin »

On Sunday we fished a couple of lumps right out front of Ukee trying for lings etc.

We picked up a couple of nice rock fish.

Buddy caught this nice halibut in 58 feet of water trying for ling cod.

Crabbing was not very good this weekend and we heard a few others saying the same thing. We did managed to get a couple though and they were tasty.

Black bear wondering the beach as always near the Maggie River mouth.

Anyways I can' think of a better way to unwind after a hectic week at work lol. Fun weekend with good friends.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

Looks like you had a good trip with some decent weather. No need for the heater on this outing, eh?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

spoiled one wrote:Looks like you had a good trip with some decent weather. No need for the heater on this outing, eh?
Didn't have to run it once. Summer is finally here :clap: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

As usual awesome report.

Is that bear walking where the tide is down? What kinda tide swing ya'll have off the big rock up yonder?

That fish box, the blue one. Do you know how many "quarts" that is? Or don't ya'll use "quarts".....liters?

Or what's it measure. I could use a box that size in front of my console sometimes just to hold all the shet people bring.......NOT. I'd use it for large fish, and let them stuff alll their crap in a smaller cooler.

Does it have a divider?

Too many questions :?: Hahahahahaha
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:As usual awesome report.

Is that bear walking where the tide is down? What kinda tide swing ya'll have off the big rock up yonder?

That fish box, the blue one. Do you know how many "quarts" that is? Or don't ya'll use "quarts".....liters?

Or what's it measure. I could use a box that size in front of my console sometimes just to hold all the shet people bring.......NOT. I'd use it for large fish, and let them stuff alll their crap in a smaller cooler.

Does it have a divider?

Too many questions :?: Hahahahahaha

Thanks Dave.

Tides vary but the average is around 4-5 feet in the summer. Depending on the moon phase though upwards of 10 or more feet with some big swings thrown in there as well. The bears like flipping rocks at low tide and eating the shore crabs that hide under them.

Here is the specs on that tote. Same specs but mine is flat bottomed without the legs for a forklift.

http://pacificnetandtwine.com/?prod_id= ... 84&filter=

No divider but you could make one out of aluminum or starboard. I'm going to make an elevated grill at the bottom to about 3 inches tall to keep the fish out of the melted slime water. I open up the drain a couple of times during the day so it doesn't accumulate in there.

I take my groceries very seriously. The fish are bled within a minute of hitting the decks and then gutted, gilled, scraped, washed, and on ice within 10 minutes. Every year I get a little faster at it. We get bugged about eating raw salmon but if you take care of them and use the back loins it's a pretty low chance of getting worms.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Neat Post John. Weather looks good up your way. Our coast and the Straight is getting beat by the NW winds 15 to 20 knots for the last week and it shows again thru this coming weekend
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
wetwhopper
Your location: Pacific Beach, WA.

Post by wetwhopper »

Way 2 lay the "smackdown" on them fishies! :gunner2:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

wetwhopper wrote:Way 2 lay the "smackdown" on them fishies! :gunner2:
That was no smack down wetwhopper but thanks anyways.

The big fish are coming though. Good reports from Nootka and other area's up North of us. This coming weekend will be on fire me thinks if the weather cooperates and the water temps get back to normal :thumbsup: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic