Silver Streak Boats

General boating discussion
BeachDweller
Donator '12
Your location: Whidbey Is, Wa

Silver Streak Boats

Post by BeachDweller »

Any Silver Streak (the Sooke, Vancouver Is. Silver Streak) owners out there that would be willing to share info about the boats and company? I've been looking at the boats at the Everett, Wa Dealer and saw them at the Seattle Boat Show and am most interested in how the boat rides in our Puget Sound area waters. I'm looking at the 21' Runabout model. Some of the larger cabin models carry a bit more deadrise forward so may not be representive of the smaller boats in the lineup.They don't provide much info on specs for the individual models. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Re: Silver Streak Boats

Post by AlloyToy »

Don't know much about the company but did some investigating on the boat, hull, and ride.......they would be on my short list for my next boat for sure...... :beer:
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Decent boats. Not so great customer service. That's my appraisal after visiting their shop.

The nice thing is you can rent a boat from them and try it out.

http://www.luckyrentals.ca/
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

The boats look well built, and the design looks good. I would put a Silver Streak on my short list if it was already built and ready for purchase and service.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
cc23
Your location: Maple Valley, Wa

Post by cc23 »

I have a Silver Streak pilot that is a 21. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but I was impressed with the ride and the stability was good. They are a well built boat. Can't speak to the customer service as I bought mine used.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13
Your location: Southern Philippines

Post by waterdog247 »

Beachdweller, I bought a 28' Cuddy cabin last year. There are some pictures in my profile. Probably a little bigger than you are looking at. She rides well, and has handled some very rough water with ease. If you are interested, PM me some contact info, and we can arrange a get together. Can certainly tell you about things to look out for.

Jaime
salmonater
Your location: Tacoma,wa

Post by salmonater »

I've owned 2 Silver Streaks, a 21' and my present boat a 25' Swiftsure Cabin model. It's for sale right now.

They are great boats. The 21' is plenty of boat for Puget Sound. I fished my 21' 40 miles off shore for Tuna on a number of occasions.

My experience with Silver Streak has been positive.Customer Service has been a 8 on a scale of 10.

If anyone is interested, I have included a link to the boat I have for sale now.

http://tacomaphoenix.com/fishingreports/post.php?id=632
Kingcrab
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Kingcrab »

Hey Jeff...you wouldn't happen to be the boat next to mine in David's shop would you...?? Kurt
salmonater
Your location: Tacoma,wa

Post by salmonater »

Kingcrab wrote:Hey Jeff...you wouldn't happen to be the boat next to mine in David's shop would you...?? Kurt
That would be me. Nice new ride you have there. :clap:
BeachDweller
Donator '12
Your location: Whidbey Is, Wa

Post by BeachDweller »

Thanks to all who responded. I've decided to move forward and have a Silver Streak 21' runabout built. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. One of my first has to do with paint or lack there of. Those of you who champion no paint how do you deal with the glare caused by raw aluminum? I've read several links on this site and other sites but would like to hear your personal experiences. I have no experience with alloy oxidation so have no idea how fast it takes for the metal to turn dull. The dealer I'm working has encouraged me to paint at least the interior. What say you?
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

I like having the interior painted with Zolotone? I also like the painted on non skid that is a similar product to bed liners. Can't think of the proper name. The rest of the boat will be pretty much upkeep free if you just get a coat of Nyalic? on it.

Save the money you would spend on a paint job and buy something more important. Aluminum boats are easy to keep up, and I for one have forgotten how to wash and wax a painted boat. Aluminum begins to oxidize pretty quickly in a salt water environment, and I have never found glare to be a problem in my neck of the woods.

Enjoy your new build, and show us some pictures of the build if you can.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
IronwoodIsland
Your location: Bowyer Island

Post by IronwoodIsland »

Glare is a non-issue. The only paint we have on our 19' Ironwood (apart from the bottom) is an area of grey-non skid (awlgrip?) on the bow and in strips along the side decks. In the cockpit we have a huge tough 4' by 6' black neoprene mat (1" thick stiff foamed neoprene cow mattress from a feed store). I quite enjoy tossing things into the back of the boat from up on the dock at high tide and having them hardly bounce. the mat makes a nice black finished looking surface, with the black double braided lines, a few bits of black non skid here and there, voila - insta custom colour scheme.

Our neighbours have a 20' Silver Streat and love the ride and finish - they are nice boats and I discussed getting one made with the manufacturer. However I know of a few sinkings (saw the aftermath of one in our marina) that were caused by the unsealed hatch arrangement in the self bailing cockpit sole, and flooding caused by heavy snowfalls or strong winds/rains during storms and clogged scuppers. If I bought a Silver Streak, I would make sure that it had some sort of dogged down, sealed hatch back there, hopefully they have improved the design. The Silver Streaks are foam sprayed I believe, whereas the Ironwoods have block foam (more resistant to moisture and easier to repair, weld onto etc.).

You should take a look at the Ironwoods - www.ironwood.com and the Eagle's - http://eaglecraft.bc.ca/as other high quality, made in B.C. welded alloy boats.

The Ironwoods have a very good reputation for a quality build, first class service and attention to detail from John Taylor, owner. We are getting a transom pod put on by him in a few weeks.
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
IronwoodIsland
Your location: Bowyer Island

Post by IronwoodIsland »

One last mention re interior painting - yes! Zolatone is nice and makes the interior feel spacious and finished.

Just don't paint your instrument panel and dash in white or light coloured paint tones, or all you will see are reflections of those on the windshield .....same with dash lighting, on a "normally sloped" windsheild you will see anything glowing on your dash at night as reflections on the windshield.
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Riverview, FL

Post by dave »

My Alumaweld is not painted. I never had a problem with glare. My brother has a Lund that is painted. The paint gets scratched. Scratches on an unpainted boat just add character.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic