Best hull for beaching?

General boating discussion
buck3
Your location: Olympic Peninsula,WA

Best hull for beaching?

Post by buck3 »

I want to do some exploring on some of the coastal beaches. But what would be the best option for me. Growing up in Alaska we had a 13' whaler that was great until it got waterlogged. Then after that we had a 18' Lund that started leaking after a while and needed to be sealed up every year.

So if I wanted to run a 50hp max and hold 5-6 person. Be light enough that 2guys can drag it up the beach.

what should I look for? I would think some kinda dory. But my budget is limited and will be looking for used only.

Thanks
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Re: Best hull for beaching?

Post by S L Dave »

This looks like a good one!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3852
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Josh, Probably should have a high bow like the Pacific City dory's for getting out through the surf as well as a flat bottom with some rocker up front (like a drift boat). Welded plate since as you found out with the Lund the pressed/riveted boats won't hold up landing on rocky beaches.

Or you could get a small seine skiff. A friend of mine has a beater you could throw a tiller motor on (something like the one in the pic) flat bottom with landing skids, motor well like a surf dory, etc.
DSC00145.jpg
DSC00145.jpg (158.44 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
buck3

Post by buck3 »

How well do you guys think the thinner guage welded boats would hold up. Something like the durocraft or gregor?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Sheet Metal + Rocky Beach = No Good
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

*** SEE POST ABOUT THIN LIGHT BOAT EATEN BY ROCKS ***

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3888
buck3

Post by buck3 »

That looks like he landed on boulder. Which can happen but it was, from his own admission, caused from not paying attention. He said he had buck fever and was trying to hurry and beach.

I realize that it only takes one time. But out lund that we used for beaching after 5 or 6 years looked nothing like that. I know that a plate boat would be the best. But budget and weight make it not a option at this time.
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Riverview, FL

Post by dave »

Another thing you might want to consider is a product like Keel Guard. Run it all the way from stem to stern. Let it take the abuse.
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

You can have boats built with a beaching plate. I think that means that the bow area is reinforced with another alloy plate welded on making the bow doubly thick.

My SeaArk has a beaching plate. I know ACB used to offer them either standard or as an option.

If one owned a welded aluminum boat couldn't a beaching plate be added anytime. It would conform to the shape of the hull and wouldn't change the hull characteristics too much other than fortifying it for abrasion resistance.

-tom
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
IronwoodIsland
Your location: Bowyer Island

Post by IronwoodIsland »

We have a 14' welded Gregor that we used to construct a concrete dock on a steep rocky shore. The technique we used to get the rebar and readymix sacks onto the rocks was to run the bow onto the rocks (Gregors have a good skid plate) and add power so the nose stuck to the rocks and pivoted while the waves surged in and out.

The welded Gregors are a good mix of toughness and light weight - highly reccomended and reasonably priced.

They might wear out oquicker if run up on a gravel beach, but if you bought it used like we did would not be a great loss.
19' Ironwood extended with platform to 21'
buck3

Post by buck3 »

I seen a few used welded tin boats on cl right now. But nothing at a decent price.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Hey Josh, how about a skiff that you get custom built up in PA so you not only end up with a tough beachable boat but you also get some exposure to the process of having a boat built and dealing with a builder? Metal Boat kits sells a cut file for this nice skiff that gets constructed out of 1/8" plate so its plenty rugged.

http://www.metalboatkits.com/index.htm

This one is 12' and they have a 16' version. They sell the cut file for about $100 and you get to use it once to build a boat for personal use.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
buck3

Post by buck3 »

Yeah been thinking about that. At this point I was going to wait until the Seattle boat show and the puyallup sportsmens show to see if there is any special deals for a plate skiff.

BUT at this point I have a job offer that will pay for it, but since I am a commercial fisherman and already gone 9 mothes out of the year I don't really want to leave during my time off that I am suppose to be spending with my family. So I can either take the job and upgrade or look into a mini landing craft.

This is going to be out tenth anniversary and the traditional gift is aluminum :beer:
buck3

Post by buck3 »

Here is one that chad built. Looks good but the scum line looks like its pretty high

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic