Black Lab Marine

General boating discussion
jeffryg
Your location: Dearborn, MI

Black Lab Marine

Post by jeffryg »

First a little background. I'm a first time poster who lives in Michigan (Detroit area). I have just gone through an extended layoff and I'm looking to replace my boat which was a casualty of my unemployment (2002 Grady White Tournament 223). A few years back, I had spoken with Jay Perrotta about a Pacific V1925 and received a brochure from him. Based on what I've read on "The Hull Truth" etc. they sound like great boats. I decided to hang on to my Grady and filed what I'd learned for future reference.
Now that I'm working again, I figured I'd give Black Lab a call and see what they could do for me. As I'm sure most of you are aware, Black Lab has relocated to Texas and is under new ownership. I called them a couple weeks back and talked to a salesman. I don't know, I just didn't have that warm and fuzzy feeling after speaking with him. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Black Lab since they've relocated? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff G.

PS: If anyone had a Pacific V1925 within a reasonable driving distance of Detroit, MI and didn't object to me dropping by to take a look at it; I would be grateful.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: Black Lab Marine

Post by Chaps »

Did you talk to Jay?

Call Pacific direct if you are not comfortable with a dealer.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pacific Boats, talk to Julie . 888-658-7111
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Any reason you are going with a 1925 instead of a 2025? I would be interested in what cost you get from BLM or Pacific. Thanks.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
jeffryg

Post by jeffryg »

In answer to your questions:
1. Did you talk to Jay?
I was told Jay is no longer a Pacific boats dealer and works primarily with Rock Salt Alloy Boats.

2. Pacific Boats, talk to Julie . 888-658-7111?
That sounds like a good idea but according to the Pacific Boats website, Black Lab Marine is their dealer for the Eastern
United States. I may decide to call her anyway.

3. Any reason you are going with a 1925 instead of a 2025? I would be interested in what cost you get from BLM or Pacific.
a. I like a notched transom. I'd be using the boat on the Great Lakes (primarily Lake Erie). Maybe having the engine
mounted like that makes more sense if using the boat on the ocean.
b. Regarding the price; In the brochure Jay sent me (granted it was in late 2005), the list price is $19,100.00 for the
center console. In the new brochure Black Lab emailed to me, $35,526.00, fixed pricing and with fewer options than
Jay offered (i.e. trim tabs). Both are base prices "boat only". While I was expecting an increase, but nearly double?
Especially in this economy.

It was kind of take it or leave it. When I add the engine and a trailer, it would be more then I paid for my 22 foot Grady White (Trn. 223 dual console) with a Yamaha 225 four stroke/trailer (bought new). Grady's aren't exactly chopped liver. I just can't see paying that much for a 19 foot aluminum/alloy boat (even a good one). If they're willing to at least talk, well that's a different story. I will reiterate that I would really like to see a Pacific boat if anyone fairly close to southeast Michigan has one. Quite frankly, I'm not willing to buy a used boat. I know a lot of people have their opinions about that but it's just the way I am, right or wrong. A second option might be an Alumaweld (Intruder 20'). There's a dealer in Western Michigan. Don't know much about the quality of that boat. I don't want a riveted boat (prone to leaking-my experience). Your input is appreciated.

Jeff
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I have a 1925 if you want any pictures of any part of the boat let me know.
I know you said you do not want a used boat but a used Pacific is not like a used NON ALLOY boat, if it has not been modified or had holes drilled in it there is not much that can happen to them or go wrong with them.
Attachments
p20 mooring.jpg
p20 mooring.jpg (84.39 KiB) Viewed 27472 times
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
jeffryg

Post by jeffryg »

MacCTD:

As I mentioned in my initial post, I've just started a new job. I'm in the research stage right now so it'll probably be at least a few months before I start getting serious. I have to make sure my new job is going to work out before investing in a boat. Your boat looks in really good shape. When did you get it and did you buy it new? One thing that might be a problem is that I'm looking to power it with an Evinrude E-TEC so I wouldn't want the motor. I know Honda's are good but I have my heart set on an E-TEC. I don't know if you would be willing to sell without the engine or if I'd have to have additional holes drilled to accommadate a new engine.

Jeff G.
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Sorry, I did not mean to imply my boat was for sale, I looked around for a long time and bought it last year from a guy in CA and had it shipped to MA. I plan on keeping it for a few more years at least. The boat is perfect for me for inshore fishing and using on lakes in Maine with my son.
My boat has about 400 hours on it, still looks like new pretty much. The motor is a 90hp, I would say the power is sufficient but if I was buying a new one I would put a 150hp on it, but when you buy used your choices are limited.
There are not too many 1925 around from what I can tell, 2325s seem to be the most popular.
If you have any questions about the 1925 just let me know.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
jeffryg

Post by jeffryg »

Thanks MacCTD; I would be very interested in seeing some pictures and I'm sure I'll have questions to ask when I get the chance. Is sending a PM the best way to do this? I appreciate your interest to help.

Jeff
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

jeffryg wrote:Thanks MacCTD; I would be very interested in seeing some pictures and I'm sure I'll have questions to ask when I get the chance. Is sending a PM the best way to do this? I appreciate your interest to help.

Jeff

Sent you a PM with my email address.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15
Your location: Wits End

Post by Sabs28 »

Hi Jeff,

I was just talking to Aaron from Black Lab yesterday afternoon. He told me the prices came way down. BUT you have to chase your own trailer & motor. Pacific will ship the boat directly to the marina you choose. He is e-mailing me the up-dated price guide in a couple of weeks along with new info ( if any). I hope this helps.
jeffryg

Post by jeffryg »

Sabs28 wrote:Hi Jeff,

I was just talking to Aaron from Black Lab yesterday afternoon. He told me the prices came way down. BUT you have to chase your own trailer & motor. Pacific will ship the boat directly to the marina you choose. He is e-mailing me the up-dated price guide in a couple of weeks along with new info ( if any). I hope this helps.
Thanks Sabs28, that's what I was told. I haven't heard anything yet regarding the specifics of their new pricing structure. Thanks for your help.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Are you looking for more than just talk about who's who when it comes to Pacific boat.

If so, here's my story in a nutshell.

I'd just as soon....Get the boat built, have the engine and all the electronics done at the factory.
I guess when I got my boat from Jay, it was BLM's hay-day.

The experience could not have been any better...I don't care if I was purchasing a Mega-Yacht. It was the best BUYING experience I ever had. And was all about Jay Perotta....not billy bob, or Jimmy Ray. Jay was the man who bent anyway I wanted and got the job done for me...FAST.

a whopping ""89"" days later, after visiting Jay in Maine, for 2 wonderful days on and off the water. My boat pulled up in front of my house.

Try that with a clorox bottle boat! Especially, NOT a customof any kind.

Granted my boat wasn't a super customized "Alaskan Club House" boat. But it was exactly what I wanted, to the ""Tee"". And nothing fishes as EZ either.

Fuel efficiant
Stable as all hell
SUPER TUFF!

I had my own $5,300 trailer. But the install of my Raymarine C-120 with GPS, and everything that goes with the boat, IE: Batteries etc. have not yet skipped a beat. And was 100% factory installed. I have never had to do a thing.

MY RECCOMENDATIONS:

-NO MATTER WHAT....Get only the Seastar """"""PRO"""""" helm unit if you go Hyraulic. Pay the extra $100 bucks.

-GET all welded in Aluminum deck plates, inside, over fuel tank, and out on the engine platform. You want NO Armstrong compression deck plates.

-GET (or swap from standard issue batteries) the LifeLine AGM batteries. They are superior batteries and well worth the extra money. It was one of the best things I did.

-EVEN on a smaller boat, I'd get the welded on side rails, so you can lay up on a dock or anything and rub on them instead of the side of the boat. MY BIGGEST REGRET!

I understand you wanting the 19 footer. I am a 100% dedicated Angler. My boat never gets used with out rods and a load of live baits. If the 19 works, then the 19 works!!

I have a 26 CC. But if I wasn't hauling around up to 4 un-known ""sized"" Americans, and 10 bags of Potato chips and 4 cases of gator-aide, as if we're going to Gilligan's Island. I would have a 19 or 20 myself, if I was solo or with one other most of the time, for inshore light tackle Redbass and Trout fishing.

I look at my boat as nothing more than a "tool". I used to fish high dollar rods, that constantly broke. But after 15 years, and back to what I started in business with. Now I use only UGLY STIKS, yes tools that work! And they don't break. Just like my boat.
Kelper
Your location: Craig, Ak

Post by Kelper »

jeffryg wrote:
It was kind of take it or leave it. When I add the engine and a trailer, it would be more then I paid for my 22 foot Grady White (Trn. 223 dual console) with a Yamaha 225 four stroke/trailer (bought new). Grady's aren't exactly chopped liver. I just can't see paying that much for a 19 foot aluminum/alloy boat (even a good one). If they're willing to at least talk, well that's a different story. I will reiterate that I would really like to see a Pacific boat if anyone fairly close to southeast Michigan has one. Quite frankly, I'm not willing to buy a used boat. I know a lot of people have their opinions about that but it's just the way I am, right or wrong. A second option might be an Alumaweld (Intruder 20'). There's a dealer in Western Michigan. Don't know much about the quality of that boat. I don't want a riveted boat (prone to leaking-my experience). Your input is appreciated.
Jeff
Jeff,

Here's my advice:

If you love to fish, kill lots of fish, and fish often, the 1925 is one hell of a boat. Expensive, but well worth it, IMO. No fluff, just a very solid and capable fishing platform. If you are planning on trolling for salmon or any species of fish on the great lakes, you won't find a better trolling platform. The 19' Pacific is a trolling machine. Just today I ran 18 miles out to a salmon bite. We caught our six king limit, and had a 20kt westerly kick up. Had 18 miles of the nast to run home in.. No problem.

You can't compare it to a Grady. 2 Completely different boats. I have 2 boats I use. A 27' Almar Sounder, and a 1925v Pacific. I'd rather fish out of my Pacific 90% of the time, not to mention I can go fishing 3x with the Pacific, for every time I go with the big boat.

Get the 1925v with a 150hp engine. I repeat, get it with a 150. Mine has a 150hp Yamaha 4 Stroke.

This coming from a guy who is on the ocean in his 1925v in Alaska 150+ days a year using the boat for both recreation and commercial.
Kelper
Your location: Craig, Ak

Post by Kelper »

Here is the little guy working on a halibut in the 19..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2huhyihclg
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

A wood shampoo calmed the big boy down.
Cool but hard work catching it on a Salmon Rod; trolling a Pink Hoochie :thumbsup:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
jeffryg

Post by jeffryg »

Kelper wrote:Here is the little guy working on a halibut in the 19..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2huhyihclg
Thanks Kelper, that's a great video! It also gives me a little more of an idea what the cockpit is like. I haven't actually seen one yet but I'm working on it. Not many Pacific boats in my neck of the woods (Southeast Michigan).
jeffryg

Post by jeffryg »

Kelper wrote:
jeffryg wrote:
Jeff,

Here's my advice:

If you love to fish, kill lots of fish, and fish often, the 1925 is one hell of a boat. Expensive, but well worth it, IMO. No fluff, just a very solid and capable fishing platform. If you are planning on trolling for salmon or any species of fish on the great lakes, you won't find a better trolling platform. The 19' Pacific is a trolling machine. Just today I ran 18 miles out to a salmon bite. We caught our six king limit, and had a 20kt westerly kick up. Had 18 miles of the nast to run home in.. No problem.

You can't compare it to a Grady. 2 Completely different boats. I have 2 boats I use. A 27' Almar Sounder, and a 1925v Pacific. I'd rather fish out of my Pacific 90% of the time, not to mention I can go fishing 3x with the Pacific, for every time I go with the big boat.

Get the 1925v with a 150hp engine. I repeat, get it with a 150. Mine has a 150hp Yamaha 4 Stroke.

This coming from a guy who is on the ocean in his 1925v in Alaska 150+ days a year using the boat for both recreation and commercial.
Thanks Kelper, I appreciate your insight. Actually, I have more interest in how they compare with other aluminum/alloy boats. I agree that comparing it to my Grady is the "comparing apples to oranges" kind of thing. I've owned a couple of Lunds in that size range (19 and 21 ft.). They didn't ride very well (Lake Erie) in rough water. It's my hope that the Pacific would ride better. It sounds like your happy with how yours rides. I lke the thicker hull, scuppers and it looks like a deeper V. I believe trim tabs would be another option worth considering; you agree? For power, my plan was to go with an Evinrude E-TEC (150 hp). If for some reason, I can't work something out for a Pacific, there's a dealer in Michigan who carries both Alumaweld and Hewes Craft. Any opinions on those boats would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Jeff
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I can tell ya right now........don't even think about comparing a 19 Pacific to any Lund.
I had an associate that did the Niagra River steelhead fishing in a Lund. Then he saw my 26 CC Pacific.

Again, "apples and oranges".

The lund has all the fresh water carpet and fluffy stuff. Maybe even one of them "plastic" bass boat consoles.
Sure they're great for that "Al Linder" kinda fisherman. But if you want to kick it up a few hundred notches toward a commercially built like boat then a Pacific is your huckleberry. They are two different kinda boats.

First off......WELDED thick plate. Not riveted.
No carpet, non-skid deck coating that's tough enough to eat yer Crocs!
Flat Deck. But no BS. You won't have carpeted rod boxes, or lil minnow bucket wells.
If ya want that, you'll have to have it built to your specs.

That's the reason to go to a 20 footer, though. More room to make what you want, happen.
I'd get a real windshield....not that lil plastic one. Side rails, maybe, Tabs good idea, leaning post vs. chairs, and a livewell built into the stern maybe. And have them open up the gunnel boxes and ya have rod storage then and the shelves under them.

I believe "alumawelds" are factory boats, pumping them out at a pretty good clip. And don't see a plain ole center console version, either.

Here's a complete "TOUR" of my boat......You'll just be thinking "smaller".
http://youtu.be/h0iuGdQbSIs
pacifictime
Your location: saegertown,pennsylva

Post by pacifictime »

Jeff;

I have the pacific v2325 with a honda 225.My previous boat was a lund barron 21. Their is no comparison at all between the 2 boats.I charter lake Erie and Ontario for walleye and salmon.The pacific is one tough boat, the best part is after 5 or 6 days in a row you do not half to spend an afternoon repairing your boat.I live about 5 hours from detroit (Erie Pa.) you are more than welcome to stop in for a demo.

Todd
jeffryg

Post by jeffryg »

Jettywolf:
Great video, thanks alot for sharing. I'll have to ask them about opening up the gunnel boxes. I was wondering about rod storage. What length bow deck do you have? I know they come in 3, 4 or 5 feet. That one's full height, right? I like the access hatch you have in the transom. Is that a custom feature that you had to order? I would get a bow railing and while I understand the advantages of the 20 footer, I have my reasons for wanting to stick with the V1925. You have a really nice boat, very impressive!

Pacifictime:
Oddly enough, one of my Lund's was the Baron 2150 with a Mercruiser IO. I bought it new in 1996. Maybe Lund has cleaned up their act but that boat (and the Lund Tyee 1950 it replaced) were not put together well. Especially the Baron! I know all about repairing the boat! I fish in the Western Basin of Lake Erie and was curious how would you compare the ride between the Lund and the Pacific? Do you have trim tabs on yours? There's a guy in SE Michigan who owns a 19 footer and told me he'd be happy to show me his. I don't know what happen to him or if he's still willing. I appreciate your generous offer and will PM you if I can't work something out with him or one of the other names I was given (Michigan, Ohio).

Thank you to both of you!!

Jeff G.
pacifictime

Post by pacifictime »

Jeff,

Yes I have trim tabs on my boat.I did not have them put on when I ordered my boat.After 2 seasons I broke down and installed a set of lenco's.This was a great move, the boat handles 100% better with the tabs.I would highly recomend them.When running in various wave conditions you can hold the front end down and run without pounding.My boat is a v2325 and I can actually run in 3 footers with much larger vessels.I would also advise to put on as much horsepower as the boat will handle.This will be the last boat that you will have to purchase, unless of course you want a larger Pacific.

Their is no comparison at all between the 21 barron and the pacific when it comes to ride and or construction.

The only thing that I wish I could change about my boat is moving the center consel forward 18".I did not find out or hear about this when I had mine built.

I had my local canvas shop make me a set of spray curtains that are also one of my favorite add ons.These curtains keep us warm and dry in the early spring months.With the curtains down, no matter how rough everyone stays dry and warm.I will post some pics of these when I get a chance.

Todd
jeffryg

Post by jeffryg »

pacifictime wrote:Jeff,

Yes I have trim tabs on my boat.I did not have them put on when I ordered my boat.After 2 seasons I broke down and installed a set of lenco's.This was a great move, the boat handles 100% better with the tabs.I would highly recomend them.When running in various wave conditions you can hold the front end down and run without pounding.My boat is a v2325 and I can actually run in 3 footers with much larger vessels.I would also advise to put on as much horsepower as the boat will handle.This will be the last boat that you will have to purchase, unless of course you want a larger Pacific.

Their is no comparison at all between the 21 barron and the pacific when it comes to ride and or construction.

The only thing that I wish I could change about my boat is moving the center consel forward 18".I did not find out or hear about this when I had mine built.

I had my local canvas shop make me a set of spray curtains that are also one of my favorite add ons.These curtains keep us warm and dry in the early spring months.With the curtains down, no matter how rough everyone stays dry and warm.I will post some pics of these when I get a chance.

Todd
Todd:

My plan is to max out the horsepower with a 150 E-Tech. Can you provide more details as to the advantage of moving the center counsel 18" forward? Is there a problem otherwise? Also, do you have your boat on a bunk trailer? I've heard that there are pitting issues in the alloy with bunks (wolmanized wood under capet) but I've also heard that it occurs primarily in salt water applications.

Thanks,
Jeff
pacifictime

Post by pacifictime »

jeff,

The main reason for moving the cc forward is to provide more room in the back of the boat.Most of my fishing is trolling, and we work off the back.I am not sure if this is an option on the 19ft model, but it would not hurt to ask pacific.

My trailer is a roller trailer.I am happy with the trailer.I had heard the same thing about some boats developing a pitting issue.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

jeffryg wrote:Jettywolf:
Great video, thanks alot for sharing. I'll have to ask them about opening up the gunnel boxes. I was wondering about rod storage. What length bow deck do you have? I know they come in 3, 4 or 5 feet. That one's full height, right? I like the access hatch you have in the transom. Is that a custom feature that you had to order? I would get a bow railing and while I understand the advantages of the 20 footer, I have my reasons for wanting to stick with the V1925. You have a really nice boat, very impressive!

Jeff G.

Jeff,

No my bow deck was dropped a few inches. I do standing up on it throwing cast nets, so I wanted "TOE RAIL", I believe the standard is that the deck up there is damn near flush with the round extrusion. I guess my bow deck is just a standard one, maybe 5' long????? I have no clue, really.

No, all Pacifics....(I believe more study of their web site is in order).....EXCEPT the 19 have the stern hatch in the (what I call the false transom). My Fuel filter/pump and such are in there. Yours will be outside the boat on the bulkhead back there, with a 19.

As far as other rod storage items you can do as I did, have rod rack run down the side of the console, I did one side. You could do both.

You could get all kinds of "NOT REALLY COMMENTS" possibly, when it comes to opening up the closed gunnel boxed in area on a 19. As they say that it needs upright floatation. AND THAT, right there would have to change for me. Having that boxed in area open is MAJOR storage for me and the ONLY long storage on a 19 footer. Might even be a deal breaker for someone like me!

Good gawd, Lund makes boats with I/O's even? :nutkick: Sorry, but that's jus' me. Never been an I/O kinda guy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic