Windows For My Boat

General boating discussion
ehsvp
Your location: Milwaukee, WI

Windows For My Boat

Post by ehsvp »

I'm in the process of selecting windows for the cabin of my boat. I've looked at Motion, Diamond Sea-Glaze and Wynn brands. The price range is very large with Diamond Sea-Glaze being about twice the price of Motion and Wynn being about $1000 less than Motion. The DSG windows are the 106 series and the Motion windows are the 1200 series. What makes the DSG windows so expensive and does anyone think they are worth the price? My boat will be used primarily on Lake Michigan which can get pretty nasty at times.
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Re: Windows For My Boat

Post by welderbob »

Why do you want to be out there when its nasty? If I were going to the Bering Sea I might spend the money on DSG.One of the reasons there more is there made in Canada. These days I want to spend my American dollars in America ! The final price maybe more than you though with the import duty. DSG is probably a great window, but to me not worth twice the money. Everyone puts them in the bid for a new boat. Most of the time for me it gets changed when the customer starts crying about there budget.

welderbob
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

I went with Diamond Seaglaze on my boat. That seems to be the standard out here on most of the high end alloy boats. I had Motion Windows in my Raider and they just used a rubber mounting system and were not the bolt in style, so that may be why I didn't like them.

I would get a quote from AJR windows. I had them make my rear door and I am really happy with it. They were quite a bit cheaper than DS and were really easy to work with. The even met me over the border to deliver the door when they were dropping off windows for another customer. I'm not the best when it comes to measurements, so I was extremely relieved when my door fit like a glove and didn't turn out to be a $1500 paperweight.
ReelSong
Your location: central Or

Post by ReelSong »

I got prices from both seaglaze and motion, compared both of the clamp in styles and seem to be almost identical, the guys at motion were much more helpfull and windows were about half the price I'd definitley go Motion again.
as far as the rubber mount type, not recommended for offshore but clamp in with shatterproof tinted glass was a simple install
as far as the rubber mount type, not recommended for offshore but clamp in with shatterproof tinted glass was a simple install
0326111339.jpg (194.07 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
SJD
Your location: Cape Cod

Post by SJD »

Regarding the importance of good windows, check out this story about the Coast Guard's $800,000 alloy boats getting KO'd by 6 foot seas off of Chatham: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... _cape_cod/
SJD

Post by SJD »

Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

I am not sure where they came up with the $800,000 price cited in the article. Those boats were well over $2 million each.
SJD

Post by SJD »

do you think the reported rating for 15 foot seas is conservative?? seems like a 42 foot boat built like that should be able handle more. 6 footers should be a walk in the park I would think
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic