sea tow yes or no?

General boating discussion
SJD
Your location: Cape Cod

sea tow yes or no?

Post by SJD »

What do people think about sea tow or other marine towing services? 150$ per year seems to be the going rate. Anyone know how much a tow costs without coverage? The annual fee seems a bit expensive to me.
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Re: sea tow yes or no?

Post by welderbob »

A simple tow without insurance could cost $600++. The USCG won't tow you unless its an emergency. The lawyer's have the good Samaritan worried about towing you. Outboards today are like light bulbs ,there great when they work. When there broke ,you can't fix them, I think $150 is cheap.

welderbob
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

I was with Sea Tow for a long time and now Boat US. I changed mooring locations and I was in an overlap spot for sea tow so I changed. Just check the coverage map to make sure that who ever you choose has boats close to where you will be the majority of time.

have fun and hopefully you won't need them!
SJD

Post by SJD »

If it costs about 600 for a tow, then you would need to be towed at least once every four years at 150/year to break even. Are people really towed frequently enough to make it worthwhile? It seems like the money could be better spent on servicing the boat/motor to reduce breakdowns and need for towing.. Anybody have any idea what percentage of coastal boaters are signed up for these services?
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Think about this . . . its a busy weekend, several calls for assistance come in over the vhf and all the towing services within range are listening in. If you are a member of any one service you will wait until your company's boat can get to you. If you are a non-member all the service providers pull out all the stops to get to you first (even making their stranded members sit) because they will make more money towing you in than all their other calls that day combined. Just make sure you've got towing coverage on your regular boat policy then simply turn in a claim to cover the cost of whoever came to pull you in. Chances are you'll get the quickest service and adding tow coverage to your normal boat policy will be less than the cost of a dedicated towing subscription.

:popcorn:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
SJD

Post by SJD »

Good points chaps. I for one would be disappointed to say the least if I needed a tow more than once every 4 yrs...
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

For me boating/fishing is not an investment (if it were then what a terrible choice :mrgreen: ) it's a past time. I've had Sea Tow for four years now and would not go without it. In the event I'm in trouble and the family is on board I need a reliable response......
SeaTowTampaBay
Your location: St. Petersburg

Post by SeaTowTampaBay »

Sorry for the intrusion since this is my first post. I have known about this site for a short time and as an owner of two aluminum boats have found some very useful information. I would like to speak to this topic directly since I am a Sea Tow franchise owner.

I find it amazing that people truly believe that if you are a non-member of Sea Tow that you get priority service when in fact it is the opposite. If that were the way members were handled we certainly would not be in our 27th year of business as a network. I personally have been an employee and now an owner for over 17 years and I can tell you that when I was in NJ and now in Florida, my members always get priority however I also don't service many non-members.

As for the suggestion of using your insurance to submit for a towing claim.….why? Why would you risk having your premium increased the next year or your coverage withdrawn all together for a simple towing claim? I have always looked at insurance for the worst case scenarios (i.e. damage, injury or loss) and not for minor issues like towing especially when membership plans like Sea Tow exist on the water. How long do you think an insurance company will value your business when they are reimbursing you $500-$600 a year on a $400-$500 policy? Why would you want to lay out the $500-$600 up front and then wait for reimbursement, even if it is only a week to get a check? The cost of towing is also not limited to $500 or $600 where as your insurance might be or even less. The cost of a Sea Tow membership is less than what most boaters spend for bait, fuel and food for an enjoyable weekend.

Now perhaps Sea Tow is not your preference and that is fine but for those that think one tow every four years is a safe gamble and no towing coverage is the wise choice….think again. Especially if your breakdown is something the mechanic thinks he repaired and the next trip out you break down again. Now you’re eight years behind your theory and out a LOT of money.

Again, sorry for the newbie intrusion.
Thank you,
Captain Skip Shute
(727) 547-1868
http://www.seatow.com
tampabay@seatow.com
ImageImage
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Welcome aboard Capt. :thumbsup:
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

SeaTow, thanks for the info from the inside. Down this way, we have volunteer rescue services. No Coast Guard.
That's right.......V O L U N T E E R. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: No paid crews although a lot of the guys have ocean going tickets. They have been around since the 50s & have evolved into a high tech rescue machine. Big boats with plenty of ponies. They get some Government funding but raise most of their operating costs through business sponsorships & membership fees. I pay $55 per year & that covers me for two free tows. I have never needed a tow..............touch wood :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but the $55 is cheap insurance.
A lot of their work is rescue related. We have some nasty bars & plenty of boats fall victim to them.
My boat insurance covers me for rescue or towing costs but I also like to use the insurance only for a major loss.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

SeaTowTampaBay wrote:Sorry for the intrusion since this is my first post.

:soap: :soap: :soap:

Welcome to the forum. At other sites we'd call you a spammer but on the contrary stop lurking and join our discussions.

Do I agree with you? well, not entirely, seen too much evidence otherwise but very good first post. Lets see some pics of your boats!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
trouty
Your location: Australia

Post by trouty »

No.
Cheers
Last edited by trouty on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

Trouty, were you in the US when this happened or was it SeaTow in Australia?
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
SeaTowTampaBay

Post by SeaTowTampaBay »

AlloyToy wrote:Welcome aboard Capt. :thumbsup:
Thank you!
Thank you,
Captain Skip Shute
(727) 547-1868
tampabay@seatow.com
ImageImage
SeaTowTampaBay

Post by SeaTowTampaBay »

Chaps wrote:
SeaTowTampaBay wrote:Sorry for the intrusion since this is my first post.

:soap: :soap: :soap:

Welcome to the forum. At other sites we'd call you a spammer but on the contrary stop lurking and join our discussions.

Do I agree with you? well, not entirely, seen too much evidence otherwise but very good first post. Lets see some pics of your boats!
Attachments
23' Silvership
23' Silvership
23 Silvership.jpg (97.68 KiB) Viewed 11005 times
28' Bellecraft Catamaran
28' Bellecraft Catamaran
P4160002_sm.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 11005 times
Thank you,
Captain Skip Shute
(727) 547-1868
tampabay@seatow.com
ImageImage
SeaTowTampaBay

Post by SeaTowTampaBay »

trouty wrote:My 2 bits worth.

Sea Tow once offered me a franchise & after a meeting with the national rep, and signing a confidentiality clause etc, I was shown the contractual agreement...........................

Cheers
Normally I would not respond to such a steaming pile of horsec**p and the only reason I am this time is because not only are Trouty’s comments totally fictitious but they are libelous. I would recommend you reconsider your statement. It certainly helps me understand why Trouty has been banned from other sites because it is too easy to make ridiculous comments like these and hide behind an anonymous username. The worst part is Trouty is proud of his banned accomplishments.

The document you were supposedly presented is called a Universal Franchise Offering Circular and the one offered by Sea Tow like any other franchisor is a public document and available at several websites. Anyone who takes the time to read it would know there is nothing in it that speaks to the day to day operations and even remotely close to what “Trouty” claims.

Unfortunately in any industry, occupation or group there are always a bad apple or two. Sometimes it is not even a bad apple but a poor choice made from time to time that bites that person in the butt. Sea Tow is not immune to this and has had some bad press from a couple of jobs over the years. There is also a lot of media that goes unpublished about the great things that have come from many towers in our industry, not just Sea Tow. Again, it is unfortunate but bad press outsells good press in our society.

I am signing off now and won’t be available for several days as I am preparing equipment for the Gulf Oil Spill. I am sure Trouty will take this as an opportunity to flame me some more. Enjoy the opportunity.
Thank you,
Captain Skip Shute
(727) 547-1868
tampabay@seatow.com
ImageImage
trouty
Your location: Australia

Post by trouty »

have it your way!

Cheers
Last edited by trouty on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

My 2 cents....

I use BoatUS, and had a breakdown on the HWY 300+ miles from salt water , they towed my boat and one ton truck and all I had to do was sign my name.
I felt so bad for tow truck driver that I tipped the snot out of him.

That tow paid for 5+ years of towing in my book.

Don't forget , these towing services are FRANCHISES and each owner may run his , his own way. It sure is nice to meet a honest Capt that knows what he is doing .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

God, not more stick up your A$$ so far your nose is pushed up comments again. :banghead:

I have Sea Tow and have not had to use it once. But glad I have it.

http://www.freeufoc.com/pdf/SeaTowUFOC1.pdf
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Let me start by telling YOU a story.....

As you may or not know, I worked for Towboat/US for a summer. Remember, I'm in N.E. Florida. Everywhere else is different.
The reason I worked for Towboat/US is because I couldn't get on with Sea-Tow. They had no positions open.

I was a member of Seatow as I worked for Towboat/US.

Here, Towboat/US had some pretty crappy boats. My first tow was go pick up some kids in a broke down 32' cabin cruiser that may have one engine I/O that might start.

I go get them in my 1979 25' Mako that has a leak and takes on a gallon or so every hour with twin 225 Yamaha 4 strokers.
I'm towing them and the rain comes down in hurricane fashion. I'm down to maybe maintaining my own steerage let alone holding them on some kind of path while they're down in the cabin. I'm under a T-top of a CC.

I get to where they're going and the current is blazing at mach 5, and there's a low bridge right next to the Marina where they need to go. I turn them for a hip tow, so I can take them into thier slip, and one of my Yamahas QUITS!!!!!!!!!!
I'm basically making no headway, their boats too big and heavy and the wind at gale force is taking us into the bridge.

If it wasn't for one of the kids (under 18) saying I have one engine, it'll over heat but I can help with that one...I'm like YEAH do that. My single 225 Yammie was useless.

This is how all my tows went. Huge boats compared to the boat I'm in ands engine failure, no power, or desaterous conditions, from an ole beat up Proline 20' CC to the aged Mako that couldn't get outa its own way.

The franchise owner was fed up, and sold out and I quit.

Now......Seatow sends a mass email to members in my area offering $50 cash to do a survey in person. I respond. I tell the survey people, I'm your man.

They not only wanted to hear all my experiences, so to improve even more. But that week a buddy and I were towed in by Seatow in soft sided inflatable rigid boats with 400 or even 500 Horses!

Mike the owner came and got us. I told him, "since ya'll didn't hire me, I went to Towboat/US." He laughed. I told him about the nasty old boats, the engines that would conk out when in dire straits etc. during my part-time summer job. He said, isn't it amazing how some people will be in business and not have the proper tools? why is it that the rescuer's need to be rescued?

I used the $50 cash money tro pay my seatow bill for 2010 season. Seatow here in Jax is on the job, and has all the right boats. I add the $150 a year to my boat/liability policy and think of it all as a whole.

You need to do the same.

a 20 foot ridgid with mass horse power and a soft side is what I want to come get me. Not some beat to crap 1970 leaker.

My story may not matter, but I support my local seatow because I not only know them personally. They cared enough to listen to me and ask me questions, as a proffesional on the water every day.
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

:thumbsup: Yeah Sea Tow Boston and Green Harbor and Allens Harbor have some nice boats.

Image Note the Head sets to talk on.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I have assisted Ethan from Sea Tow on the South shore. He was booked solid, and there was a guy nearby the area we were fishing in a situation with his new Suzuki. He somehow lost all his engine oil and the motor was dead in the water. We happened to have 2 1/2 gallons on board that we offered the individual in an attempt to start his motor....NG would not start.

He had to wait for Ethan (Sea Tow) to come get him. The next day I got a PM from Ethan who hunted me down on a fishing web site with a Thank you for the assistance and that he appreciated the fact that I at least made an attempt. He is a top shelf individual in my eyes.

I still see the guy we attempted to help at the ramp now and then.....still thankful for the help we offered and still talking highly of South Shore Sea Tow :beer:
SJD

Post by SJD »

OK now I am really confused. Any truth to the statement that insurance premium will go up with one tow? I'm still not convinced that it's worth the annual fee...
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

SJD wrote:OK now I am really confused. Any truth to the statement that insurance premium will go up with one tow? I'm still not convinced that it's worth the annual fee...
NO. That's a good one, though.

REALLY??????
Then you, must have loads of friends on the water constantly, or like to put you're faith in hands of good samaritans.
I once rescued a boat, I'll never do it again! Ended up with TWO holes in my bow (of my ole F'glass boat). Did it for a friend, yeah his insurance paid $700 to me for the damages, and had the hassle of getting it fixed, with down time and a reapair that never matched on a 10 year old boat.

And even though I'm legal to commercial tow, and can even charge if I wanted too.......I don't. Unless, someone is in peril as per what my license states.

One time yer azz is in a super bind you'll rather pay $150 a year, then the bill you could get, "if ya call them for help."

Most boat INSURANCE, if you have that even....which may also feel like its not worth it at times. Will cover up to a $500 tow.
You pay on demand, then eventually get re-imbursed from your boat insurance company. I've had friends do that, and then immediately get towing coverage afterwards. Because of the hassle, and those dreaded "low-funds" in their bank account.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

I just renewed my towing with Boatus. This neck of the country the other Co is a No Show as in Non Existent. $14 dollars more has the Trailer covered too. Unlimited Coverage on the water $124. I have not used and do not intend too either. Piece of mind and to cover the Aw $*it That happens every now and again. :banghead:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic