Pipe bender

Mods and custom builds
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Pipe bender

Post by aluminumdreamer »

Any of you guys have any experience with pipe benders? I have been looking at the JD Squared model 3, it is relatively inexpensive for the bender itself. The only thing is the dies cost as much as the bender (per die). If you want three different sizes with your new bender your looking at $1200. My friend has one of the JD Squared hydraulic benders, and says you can't get much better for the money, he swears by them. I am looking to get into this for as little as possible, I'm not looking to start up a full blown fab shop. I just want to be able to build some trick stuff for my boat, and then eventually maybe pick up some side work building trick stuff for other guys boats.

Any input on this matter would be great. I'm thinking my boat really needs some kind of leaning post/tackle storage unit once I get that stupid engine box removed.

Now all I need to do is convince my wife that this is extremely important, and my life just won't be complete with out it. She'll say, thats what you said about the welder! :banghead: :deadhorse:

Nate. :banghead: :banghead:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Re: Pipe bender

Post by 21ftcc »

Pipe bending company's get hooked cheap on the bender. But ream you on the die.

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/tools ... bender.htm

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/tools ... enders.htm

You got a welder now, I think you could make this.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

This fabrication stuff is like drugs,once you start you have to spend more and more to get the same high. Next you'll need a mig set-up ,them pulse mig. A bigger table saw, then a bigger shop.If I just had this last tool I could *****************. Please dear! I promise this is all I need. We can take that vacation next year.

Have Fun!
Welder Bob
gandrfab

Post by gandrfab »

I have welded and fabricated for a living the last 17 or 18 years. Still love to do it.
Before that it was hot rods and mud trucks (shade tree) stuff for fun.
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

I'm going to be captain no fun here.

If your mate already has a bender why do you need one too? You can give him a lot of cases of beer for bending stuff for you before you're up to $1200. Alternately spend the money on a tool he doesn't have so you can scratch each other's backs.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

My friend pretty much has every tool you could want, he owns a welding/fabrication shop. He has told me that if I need to bend something I can bring it over, and he'll help me out. I just would like to have my own tools, he is a very busy guy, and he has already helped me get started with my welding. Besides, if I want to do something for someone else he may look at it as if am taking work that he could be doing. Although he is far more talented than I will ever be, and has no shortage of work.

Nate.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

aluminumdreamer wrote:My friend pretty much has every tool you could want, he owns a welding/fabrication shop. He has told me that if I need to bend something I can bring it over, and he'll help me out. I just would like to have my own tools, he is a very busy guy, and he has already helped me get started with my welding. Besides, if I want to do something for someone else he may look at it as if am taking work that he could be doing. Although he is far more talented than I will ever be, and has no shortage of work.

Nate.
I will most likely get laughed at; But Harbor Freight's 16 ton conduit bender does a fair Job on bending 6063 schedule 40 pipe. and it comes with all of the dies 1/2" to 3". It takes some getting used to marking c/l and depth of bend to get repeatability. the outsides of the pipe has slight deformities/dents. Not bad for around $125 or so.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/ite ... egoryName= It works for me. I am a shade tree redneck wannabe :soap:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Is that what you used to build the stuff on your boat? I had thought of something like that to get started, but was unsure of the quality of the bends it would produce. Thanks for the input. I think I may just wait a little bit and get the jd squared, I think I've got my wife against the ropes. :clap:

Nate.
hipacboats

Post by hipacboats »

I agree with goatram, prior to getting my new hydraulic draw bender I did quite a bit of fabrication with the same manual bender. For 125 you can't beat it. It just takes some time to master, and does mar the pipe a little but will work just fine. Working with any bender is challenging, and an art to say the least, one that I am just beginning to figure out. Good luck and have fun!!! Sounds like you have an understanding wife. I am still amazed mine puts up with my alloy addiction.

Also I am not sure if anyone has talked about notching pipe lately. I use the same skill saw I cut with and a grinder with a flapper disc to do all my notching. I actually works pretty well if you don't have thousands to spend on notcher.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

aluminumdreamer, I have one of those manual benders here at my shop. You are more than welcome to use it and screw around with it if you'd like. Does ok but word of caution...6061 will not bend well at all.....KA POW!!
AT
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I like this one by pro tools it has more standard equipment and includes the 1st set of dies. You can get the JD2 but to add all these options that are standard on pro-tools would cost as much or more.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

aluminumdreamer,
I use the Greenlee benders, some one shots depending on size (larger than 2" pipe) and the 'triple nickel' [Greenlee 555] for 2" and down. I found most of my current crop on eBay for pennies on the dollar compared to what they'd be from Greenlee with new paint jobs. A few of the one shot benders I bought in pieces to get one or two dies and I use one electrical hydraulic portable pump to run all the single shot/kink benders.

If you'll only be working in 1/2" to 1", maybe 1-1/4" then hand benders or pedestal benders are OK but they do take a few lengths of pipe to get very good unless you've already spent time working with these tools?

In general, 6061 is too brittle to bend reliably, but you can if you sand the dies and lubricate them. By using frying pan spray [Pam brand or generic] and keeping the die's wet after sanding them to a nice shine -no burrs- you can bend 6061 but it snaps too often to afford. Another item that makes 6061 fail is the outer edges of the shoe/die's groove is often too sharp and needs to be radiused to soften the lengthwise 'gouge' they can leave as some pipes deform in cross section while bending.

6063 T6 is softer, more malleable, and will bend reliably and after it bends that worked areas hardens into 6061 within a few months.

I also use a pipe rolls or pyramid rolls to make long slow sweeps or to make deck beams of T or angle as the rolls seems to give a more uniform shape over kink [or point] bending. To get the dies, which are almost all plastic; I went to online machine shops and had them cut to fit my drawings for about 1/10th the cost of the factory dies. So if you got a bender and knew what the connection points looked like [in 3D] you can draw the dies and have them cut- often at a real savings because if you confine yourself to aluminum you don't need hardened steel/tool steel dies for steel pipe. Most times the makers of bending equipment sell the hard and expensive steel dies/shoes to cover all bending work. But you might never need them if you're working in the Miracle Metal exclusively?

Cheers,
kmorin
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Alloytoy wrote
aluminumdreamer, I have one of those manual benders here at my shop. You are more than welcome to use it and screw around with it if you'd like. Does ok but word of caution...6061 will not bend well at all.....KA POW!!
AT
Thanks AT you the man. I appreciate the offer, but I may have one that I can borrow closer to home until I get my own. Thanks to all of you guys for your opinions, and input on the subject.

Nate :beer:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Well if you need it shoot me a message....I'll be on the Cape for a long weekend in early March ......love the beer & chowda at the "Yard Arm" :beer:
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Better beer and chowda at the land Ho, it's just up the street and around the corner (walking distance). I put my boat in almost across the street from the Yard Arm. Thats cool you'll be in my neck of the woods. If you want to see some sh--y welding and an old alloy boat when your in my neighborhood let me know. I can always use a good excuse for a cold one at the Land Ho.

Make sure to get a stuffy if you go to "The Ho" :thumbsup:

Nate :beer:
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

I found out that there was a Harbor Freight Tool in Fall River MA today, which isn't too far from me. So I went and bought a $89.00 12 ton bender this afternoon. I figured it is not my dream bender, but it will get me going until I can afford a more expensive machine. I bent a piece of sch. 40 1 1/2" pipe (about 50 degrees) just to see how it did. Not too bad, the pipe got stuck in the die, and made a few marks in it upon removal. I think if I clean up the dies that should make a better finished product, and will make them easier to remove once bent. Once I get some more pipe I'll mess around with it.

I can't wait to actually build something. I'm trying to get a good line on a pipe supplier, an of you guys in the NE have any suggestions? I am going to try to contact Taco tomorrow. My buddy uses them for all of his anodized pipe, but he says they have not so great customer service. Any ideas? :banghead:

Nate
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Yarde Metals in CT

Admiral Metals in MA

Pierce Alum in Ma

Earle Jorgensen in MA

If they won't sell to you shoot me a message with what you need and I'll order it for you. I have an account with all of them.....you are more than welcome to use it but will have to pick it up..... :thumbsup:
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Wow cool! I will look into some of those companies to see who will work best for me, and try to set up accounts with some of them. Thanks AT, You've been a huge help.

Nate. :thumbsup:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

DId you spray lube on the die and pipe?
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

No, I didn't. But I will next time, I'm sure it will make a huge difference. I'm also going to work on the dies, they have a bunch of casting burs, and what not on them.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Nate
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Thanks for all the great links 21.

I set up an account with Pierce Metals, And requested a quote on some pipe, and other misc. things. I guess I have been a bit naive about how much 5086 pipe and flat stock actually costs. I was a bit surprised to say the least. I just wanted to get some stuff in stock, but I think I will have to get an exact project in mind, and make a solid materials list before ordering. At least until for now.

I see why quality alloy boats are so expensive. You get what you pay for.

Anyone interested in a cool looking pot hauler davit? I will post some pictures of it later on the for sale section.

Nate.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I could have used it when I had 4' traps. Could have saved my lower back.
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

4' traps suck, I've got a few, and they are a killer in the middle of the summer when things get weeded up badly. Or when some dips--t puts a few traps with way too much warp on em around your pots. I wish I were an azzhole, cause I would just cut em', but then I think if that were my pot getting cut I'd be bummed.

I'll get some pictures of that davit up soon, if you know anyone interested.

Nate.
jimw

Post by jimw »

What were the prices you were getting on the aluminum stock ?
I have been toying with the idea of welding up a 17/18 foot skiff.
Jim
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic