Searching for my next Al boat.

General boating discussion
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Vancouver, WA

Searching for my next Al boat.

Post by Gundog »

I just joined here after browsing the site it looks like a nice place to visit. I recognize a few of you from other sites.

I have just sold my current Al boat a North River Seahawk and I am now doing research for my next boat. I am looking for a new or used 24-26' pilot house with outboard power. I have looked at North River, Silver Streak, Koffler, Hewescraft, Wooldridge, Bolton, Fishrite, Custom Weld, Etc. I have just not found exactly what I want. It seems either they will make what I want but I can't afford it or the production models just have one or 2 things I don't like. I have been looking real serious about the Hewescraft Pacific Cruiser but my biggest complaint is their lack of a self bailing deck.

My dream boat would be a 25' pilot house self bailing deck for wash down and cleanup purposes a V birth to overnight in. I plan on going with a single 250 or 300 Yamaha and I have a t-8 kicker I kept from my last boat that has a TR-1 autopilot. I plan on using the Garmin 4210 series electronics chart plotter, radar & FF. I have a few other wants and needs but that is the main list. I am trying to keep my cost to around $80k with a trailer. This may not be possible for a completed boat I am not sure.

I may even look at having a plan drawn up and building it myself or having the hull built and rigging it myself. I have the skills but I am not sure I have the time for that large of a project.

Mike
welder
Site Admin

Re: Searching for my next Al boat.

Post by welder »

Pacific 26 with a sleeper top.

www.pacificboats.com
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I was just on the phone with them (Pacific) I have looked at their boats before(online not in person) the cabins they have on their web site are not exactly what I have in mind. I would love to have a walk around cabin but it would need to be a 10' beem to get a cabin as big as I want and I need a trailerable boat no wider than 8-6. I am waiting a call back to talk to one of the guys about cabin options.

The picture at the top of this page of the pilot house boat is what I have in mind.

Thanks Mike
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

guess you missed the 35' Battle wagon.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1927
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Give Armstrong Marine a call. They like to build cats, but I don't think they have forgotten how to build monohulls.

www.armstrongmarine.com
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I talked to Armstrong they were way over my budget. I wish money was no object.

Mike
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

If no one has a stock product you like, you'll probably find it cheaper in the long run if you start with a Naval Architect. That way you can get the boat drawn up just as you like it and the boat builder's when they come to price the project will know exactly what they will be required to do and how much ali is involved. This will enable them to sharpen their pencils quite a bit when quoting. At present the builder's you are speaking to are thinking "well the last 25 foot boat we built cost X, allowing for some changes and a bit more material we'd better quote 1.2X". Then they're getting to work the next day and rounding the price up to the nearest $10K.
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

You are buying/building at a good time...the market is in your favor. As I have had to do in my business, I'm sure boat builders are doing the same.....looking at the real cost, reconsidering shop rates, and overhead rates to gain business....

The used market is quite interesting...people that paid a premium for boats (of all makes) in a "good market" are some what stuck in this economy trying to move them......quite interesting to say the least.....

Any how best of luck with your search, and keep us posted with your final decision :thumbsup:
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Welcome Gundog! My theory is to always be looking and the deal that you can't pass up will show up at your front door. I am sure you can find what you want in your price range.
Here's a few fair market boats in your area listed in yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/Ar ... ted-States

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/Ma ... and/Canada

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/No ... ver/Canada

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 17904&url=
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

The picture on the top of the forum is of a non trailerable 30 something Ironwood.
Probably again out of most of us price range, unless ya live in Alaska :lol:

I hear state employees there can even afford 30 foot customs.........C'Mon!

There's a 29 Pacific "trailerable" with a genuine cabin for sale here. It's in a stand alone post by Alloy Toy.

I love them 29er's, myself.
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I am looking at about 4 boats right now or I should say brands. Leading the way is a 24' Hewescraft Pacific Cruiser used with 50 hours twin 150 Yamaha power 65k loaded with options garmin 4210 chart plotter, ff & radar, pot puller shrimp pots, down-riggers, halibut rods diesel heat the works, a Boulton 24' new 08 or ordering new, a North River Seahawk OS a used one I am waiting info on and 4 new ones. I do not have all the details on some of them yet but they are all priced between 65-85 K. There is a used NR OS coming to a dealer next week with a 300 zuk & 9.9 zuk for a good price radar and the works but I have not got the details. That 29 Pacific would be out of my price range. I want to be no more than 70k but I could stretch to 90k if I had to but that includes electronics downriggers pot puller Etc. The problem with the Hewescraft boats is they have no self bailing deck that is a biggy for me so I am still pondering how important that is to me.

Mike
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

Mike ,

Hewescraft did produce a prototype with a self bailing deck last winter. I believe that it will be an option. There is a hewescraft owners forum that posted some pictures of it. It looked pretty nice. Have you contacted hewes about it? I will try and dig up the link with pictures.

Pete
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I owned one NON-self bailing boat.

And thats the last time I made that mistake.

Then, I had a self bailer that went "both ways". REALLY CHECK that the scuppers ain't AC/DC, cuase its a real downer.
IT really sucked, for 10 whole years.

Then when I saw the my Pacifics giant drain holes and monster scuppers. I had to do a double take!
They work, and man do they work GOOD.

Remarkably it's not the hulls, the accessories, the ride etc. that I remember the most about previous boats I have owned.
It's the pesky details.

IT'S ALWAYS THE DETAILS, HUH?
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

Here is a link that shows some pics:

http://hewescraft.30.forumer.com/a/rumo ... st568.html
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I talked to them about the new Hewescraft explorer self bailer it is a 100k plus boat. I was told self bailing option comes with a wider bottom and some other stuff and adds 13K to the price.

Mike
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Damn a 26' footer starts looking mighty fine when those extra's bucks start being mentioned.

We even have a member here Pete aka: Seafoodman who has a 26' Pacific hull built for salmon/sturgeon out of G. Loomis country, Woodland WA. He had his built with FOUR giant Pacific scuppers in the stern. He really wanted evacuation.
But two do good enough for me.

That should be the wonderful thing. Have built what you want at an affordable price.
Especially in today's world.

I find it hard to believe that any builder couldn't use MORE business these days. I don't care where you are in the good ole USA.
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I know Pete aka "Seafoodman" I sold him his Anchor Bracket.

I like the looks of the Pacific boat but they don't make a cab that suits me. When you are working on a budget like mine for what I am trying to get you need to stick close to a companies standard models one off stuff gets really expensive and I understand that it works the same in my shop. Every time I let someone talk me into custom work I end up working for pennies on the dollar.

Mike
Gerberman

Post by Gerberman »

Give Jim at RB Boats a call, He makes custom boats at a fair price. He knows how to make self balers. PM if you need contact info. Gerberman
Oregon,and Alaska, fisherman 34 foot Aluminum boat.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Gundog wrote:I know Pete aka "Seafoodman" I sold him his Anchor Bracket.

I like the looks of the Pacific boat but they don't make a cab that suits me. When you are working on a budget like mine for what I am trying to get you need to stick close to a companies standard models one off stuff gets really expensive and I understand that it works the same in my shop. Every time I let someone talk me into custom work I end up working for pennies on the dollar.

Mike
Your preaching to the Choir....Believe me I did the most unbelievable creative financing there was. When organizations were throwing money at folks. I timed it all right, that's all. A new house and a new boat all within 2.5 years for a self employeed pretty much cash business fisherman???? No way that could be done today. Damn was I lucky!

My boats not far from "standard"...and Jay at BlackLab (Pacific boats) really worked with me. Serious "face to face" talking reveals what can and can not be accomplished. So don't rule yourself out.
Gerberman

Post by Gerberman »

Try Jim at RB Boats in Beaver Creek, he used to be in Springfield. he will make what ever you want. reasonable prices. Gerberman
CanCanCase
Your location: Charleston, OR

Post by CanCanCase »

JETTYWOLF wrote:...unless ya live in Alaska :lol:

I hear state employees there can even afford 30 foot customs.........C'Mon!..
Oh c'mon Dave! Just because Queen Sarah bought me and Jim (and the rest of us Alaskan folks) a tank of heating oil last winter everyone thinks we're all wealthy or something!

I know of a lady-operated charter in SE AK that just took delivery of a Boulton a few years back. I believe it's in the 28' range, trailerable (although they don't up there except for winter storage) and the last I talked to her she was working with a max budget of $90K outfitted and ready to fish... She may have been working with some cash from the sale of her previous boat, but I remember when I saw it thinking, "wow! that's one heck of a boat for $90K!"

There's a lot out there on the market right now.

-Case
M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Charleston, OR
Boating is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

I am driving to Medford tomorrow to meet with Boulton & Fish-Rite. I met with Wooldridge Saturday and I really liked their boat I am waiting for a quote from them. I look forward to tomorrows trip they have several boats in progress and some finished boats to look at, at both shops.

Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic