Fighting Clamp....Your Thoughts????

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Fighting Clamp....Your Thoughts????

Post by AlloyToy »

Hey All,

Just want your thoughts on my concept. I built a clamp on ring for spinning & jigging rods for large game fish.

The tuna here in the NE will be larger this year so my thoughts are that at some point we will need to use a harness if we will continue to catch these on spinning gear or jigging gear. Also this will allow the angler some leverage (using a harness)allowing for a quicker catch and hopefully a healthier release for the tuna.

I used it last year and have made some changes to it and made it more compact. Also it was tested up to 30# of drag on a foam handle spinning rod. It does not appear to interfere with the casting, is made of 6061 aluminum so it's light. We also used it to attach a safety lie to the rod.

Your thoughts are appreciated???

Thx.
AT

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Fighting Clamp....Your Thoughts????

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Thats a good deal. I think I saw something like that one time, but was a strap instead, for you spinner dudes.....

I saw this in Miami one year.
www.reelcolors.com
Deno

Post by Deno »

Nice........We don’t really use Spinning reels in the West, but I like the idea... I’ve also seen the straps before but nothing like that. I like those better then the straps...
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I think the "Reel Colors" strap is for custom built rods as it slides over the threaded section of the handle.....I think......

Thanks for you input. I'll put it to the test soon I hope :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You're correct Alloy....that's why yours is different.

Bait Casters United: Southern region

Local chapter, President of the "FFF"
Float-Freaks-Federation
Jacksonville, Florida
-Slogan: "Spinners ain't made for Float-rigging"
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Idea:

The idea is great but I would like to see the load distrabution a little wider on the clamp. If it works well then its a go , my thought is ther may be just too much load in that small area on the blank under extreme load and that is likely where the BANG ! will happen. Don't grafite rods sound like a shotgun going off !
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Occams,

Here is a fish taken in July on Stellwagon by a gentleman from CT. Fight time shy of 15 min with the clamp & harness. This was on an OTI rod I believe :thumbsup:

Look at that fat hog!!!!
capeannfisherman

Post by capeannfisherman »

John,
The clamp works great. I got a chance to try it out fighting one of those monsters off the NWC. I was able to sit on the fish just like with my 50's. We did not boat the monster, the slim beauty broke and I went tumbling backwards. The clamp worked perfect, I just put to much pressure trying to lift the fish.Thanks again and we still owe you a trip.
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Adrian
what are you using for stand up gear?
capeannfisherman

Post by capeannfisherman »

Wasn't my gear, it was shimano rod and reel. I don't know exactly which one, but the rod and reel handled the big fish well. If the knot held that fish would be sushi now.
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
Doradodon

Post by Doradodon »

Hey There,

I've been searching high and low for these clamps. I bought some from you a LONG time ago, when the tuna-bomb first went off. Well we've been doing very well lately on rec-fish and I'd like to add a few more clamps to rods.

Can you PLEASE give a call.....or if anyone on here can let me know how to contact this genius, I'd appreciate it!!!

My cell is 603.759.1951

Thanks so much!!
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

John is on here all the time. I'm sure he will call you. :thumbsup:
Doradodon

Post by Doradodon »

Thanks for the reply. I did get a message from John, but did not receive contact information. Like I'm most of us, I'm sure he's busy....do you happen to have a phone number for him so I can call proactively?
Thanks again!!
Doradodon

Post by Doradodon »

I'm happy to say the power of the internet is still strong as ever. By doing a google search I was able to find a picture of one of these rod clamps and ultimately track down John here to get some more sent out to me.

These clamps make fighting a tuna on a spinning rod a dream!! Once you get them in the harness the pain in the lower back seems to just disappear. Here's one I got a few weeks ago....you can see the clamp on the rod.
Attachments
Tuna Gosa.jpg
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Dorododon. Sorry I felt I shouldn't give AT's contact info out but I did call him and make him aware of your request . Glad to hear all worked out well Clambo:beer:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Congrats on an awesome fish!! The clamps work very nicely for many!! :thumbsup:
nicknotsebastian

Post by nicknotsebastian »

ben on fish.jpg
the fish were def big this year. our biggest was 86", 400lbs hooked and landed
photo-70.JPG
on a shimano terez/vs300 off peaked hill area. in the course of the two hour fight, we traded the rod more than once - almost impossible to imagine fighting a big fish on a spinning rod all the way solo. that being said, how would the ring interfere with a quick rod trade off? i'd imagine a clip to a larger loop on the ring so anglers could switch the rod by unclipping and clipping their own harness. we trade off all the time when using heavy duty spinning rods with big fish on - different than stand up conventional rods that have the harness and leverage allowing for arm resting. spinning gear just does not seem to ever present the opportunity to get any real arm rest - its a very tactical fight for sure.

i would think the ring would need to be further up on the rod. i try to get "strait arm" while the fish runs. when that opportunity comes, i am typically grabbing the rod with both hands about the the same place you see my brother's one hand (he's trying to pull back some line while i rest!). the "sweet spot" being about a foot above the reel - actually on the rod. that seems to be the "natural leverage point". maybe a rubber gasket under the ring to protect the the rod too??

great idea. when i first saw the thread i thought it was a spinning rod lanyard idea - also needed with good spinning set ups at $1,000 plus!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic