Are you "T" tipping?

General boating discussion
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17
Your location: Gulfport, Fl

Are you "T" tipping?

Post by 3f8 »

How much does a “T” top play into lateral stability on alloy boats? Is being lighter a problem? How much is the wind a factor?
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Are you "T" tipping?

Post by peterbo3 »

Because the hull of an alloy boat is lighter than a similar size FG rig, a T Top can adversely affect an alloy boat in some conditions. Both boats will have the same size T Top, but the greater weight of the FG boat will provide more stability in a crosswind.

This is an earlier CC that I owned. Running in a beam sea with wind over the beam could be tricky at higher speeds. As the boat rolls to leeward with the wave motion, a greater area of "sail" is exposed to the wind, which increases the lean & exposes more area.......................you get the idea. Only ever encountered this problem once. Throttled back & all was good. Never ran really quickly in these conditions again. In a head or following sea there was never a problem.

Moral of the Story: Faster is not always better. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
djplog
Your location: Redding, CA

Post by djplog »

I put a custom "pilot house" (T-Top with canvas side curtains) on my 21' Bayrunner Baja. I can feel the side torque in a beam sea and wind, but I've never felt like it was going to capsize. I only have a 90 hp. outboard and in rough conditions I only do about 12 knots, so that probably is the right thing to do. I am interested in any comments the rest of you might have. Tin Man
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I don't feel my Pacific 23 " Tip " but with the high sides and T-top it can be fun when loading back on the trailer on windy days. That was fixed with the guide on rails.

I always try to get on the down wind side of a dock also.

My boat has a 18* dead rise with a 60* deep entry and perty good chines so the roll isn't much of a problem .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

I should clarify that I was initially running at around 25 knots & slowed down to 20 knots. Would I have tipped? I doubt it but a decent gust could have made life interesting had I maintained 25 knots. Welders boat would be a lot heavier & bigger than my CC. It was around 19' with a 90 fourstroke & as the pic shows, it was a large TT.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

welder wrote:I don't feel my Pacific 23 " Tip " but with the high sides and T-top it can be fun when loading back on the trailer on windy days. That was fixed with the guide on rails.

My boat has a 18* dead rise with a 60* deep entry and perty good chines so the roll isn't much of a problem .

Are you saying the Pacific has a 60 degree entry? Just curious I thought it was much less than that.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

As a person who has had T-tops on my glass boats before, then even took off the t-top on my old boat and sold it, then had a higher windshield built with a nice rail around it. So when it came to having my Pacific built, I knew NO t-top would be included in my build sheet.

But, the reason I say no is because I fish, and don't want it in the way. And I fish always on anchor, and thats where a T-top has not done me any favors.

The current lays us one way, then the t-top grabs the wind and lays us another. MY fishing style, unlike anyone elses on this whole forum means that I have to "lay with the current", it's what I have to do. So no tops for me, except a BLM designed Super Top.....I love that boat!!

Tippy...I believe Welder has answered that question.

You will usually pay more for "dry stack storage" though with a T-top
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

MacCTD wrote:
welder wrote:I don't feel my Pacific 23 " Tip " but with the high sides and T-top it can be fun when loading back on the trailer on windy days. That was fixed with the guide on rails.

Are you saying the Pacific has a 60 degree entry? Just curious I thought it was much less than that.
Yes , 60 Degree Bow , I'm trying to get Jay Perrotta on the phone right now To confirm this .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic