Interested in your opinions

Sell or Trade your Alloy boat here
fishfoo
Your location: Playa, Ca.

Interested in your opinions

Post by fishfoo »

I'm a new member and am looking to upgrade from my 14' Western, to a 17'-19' CC. You guys clearly know more than I do, so could you give me your opinions on the best boats from my list. I'm in So. California and the boats within my price range are Valco, Klamath, Gregor, Starcraft, Sea Nymph, Lowe, Lund (feel free to add any others) I'm looking at used boats only. Hoping for a 40-70 HP 4 stroke depending on boat size. This boat is mostly for fishing within 10 miles from shore, but on clear/calm days with good weather forecast I would like to go to Catalina Island (approx. 26 miles out). Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbsup:
Last edited by fishfoo on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
welder
Site Admin

Re: Interested in your opinions

Post by welder »

Fishfoo, call Kenny at Tradewind Inflatables and Marine He sells two of the boats your looking at and may have something for ya . Read someone wanting to trade up or sell out.
He also carries the Pacific line [ 19' to 29' ] .

Kenny 949-631-7334 Tues - Sat tell him Les from Texas sent ya :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

I had an 18' foot Klamath with a 70 horse 'rude on it. That was a great boat for the money. They do well in the chop and are a very dry ride for the size. The valco bayrunners are very nice too. I think they are a bit heavier, also. Happy shopping.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Fishfoo:

I had a Lund and a Sea Nymph in the past. Not recommended for the ocean. People do
use them that way, I know. I have ventured out a ways in the ocean with the Lund.
Drawbacks are you have to wash off the salt after every use. They don't handle
chop and wind-blown spray very well do to their hull shape. They don't
have sealed decks with scuppers so all the water runs into the bilge where you
have to rely on the operation of a bilge pump to remove the water. Not safe.

You are better off with Valco, Klamath, Gregor, although I don't have any direct experience
with those brands.
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I very prejudiced......I'd want a heavier welded boat.

And I'd want a 19 Pacific, myself. Yeah, I do want a 19/20 footer to add to the fleet. New and built the way "I" want it.
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Illgotoo wrote:Fishfoo:

I had a Lund and a Sea Nymph in the past. Not recommended for the ocean. People do
use them that way, I know. I have ventured out a ways in the ocean with the Lund.
Drawbacks are you have to wash off the salt after every use. They don't handle
chop and wind-blown spray very well do to their hull shape. They don't
have sealed decks with scuppers so all the water runs into the bilge where you
have to rely on the operation of a bilge pump to remove the water. Not safe.

You are better off with Valco, Klamath, Gregor, although I don't have any direct experience
with those brands.

Curious why you do not think those boat brands can handle salt water, I have a 16' 1976 Duranautic, it is made from 5052, it is holding up fine, the seaworthy stuff I agree with, I only use it within a mile or two from shore.
In the area of MA I am in there are tons of small Lunds and Duranautics many as old as mine still being used, I have never seen one that has significant damage from corrosion.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I believe this here is the "optimum" statement.......

"This boat is mostly for fishing within 10 miles from shore, but on clear/calm days with good weather forecast I would like to go to Catalina Island (approx. 26 miles out)."

I believe we have some Viking Blood here. :rotfl: :rotfl: :skipper:

Don't know or have a clue what the Pacific ocean is like between land a Catalina Island.
But ya sure ain't finding me 26 miles offshore here in some 17' SeaNymph "walleye" cruiser!!!!!

Even in the depths of summer ON CLEAR CALM DAYS, someones getting their azz handed to them from "summer squals" popping up between 1-5PM daily. Been there done that in a ping pong 19' CC...and it ends the fun, quick like.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Used to live down there. Catalina sucks you in, easy to get to in a small boat but coming home in the afternoon . . . :cry:
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Deno
Your location: SAN DIEGO, CA

Post by Deno »

welder wrote:Fishfoo, call Kenny at Tradewind Inflatables and Marine He sells two of the boats your looking at and may have something for ya . Read someone wanting to trade up or sell out.
He also carries the Pacific line [ 19' to 29' ] .

Kenny 949-631-7334 Tues - Sat tell him Les from Texas sent ya :thumbsup:

Yep, I would call Kenny also... Good luck
I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting and fishing is my life...They tell me thats what they mean....
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

That is the thing about Catalina as Chaps says...you never really know what the afternoon will bring.

Welcome Fishfoo. I have seen some great deals on Klamaths and Bayrunners over the past couple of years. All local here in LA/Orange. Kenny at Tradewinds also should have a line on some good e-z financing for shiny new ones. Mmmmmmm...shiny :joecool: And he is just a honest, no pressure, helpful guy. Start looking and use this forum as a sounding board. Most of the people here love kicking tires and looking at boats for sale.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

All a bit small for what you want to do, but...

Old boat...new motor
http://www.bloodydecks.com/classifieds/ ... 1152486808

ding ding ding.......here is a deal! (looks like it's parked outside Kenny's old shop)
http://www.bloodydecks.com/classifieds/ ... 3156/cat/4

Another...
http://www.bloodydecks.com/classifieds/ ... 2936/cat/4
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
ragingspear
Your location: Santa Barbara, CA

Post by ragingspear »

On that trip to Catalina in a small boat, in the morning going out you may have no wind but coming back in the afternoon, you can easily have 25kts blowing wave tops into your boat. You risk swamping as many boats have small or no scuppers to drain the decks, and instead rely on bilge pumps with inadequate pumping capacity. Here's an Ironwood boat, possibly too expensive, (but take 20% off for the dollar exchange rate.) These boats usually have self-draining decks with large scuppers, and are built to a high quality standard.

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/boa/1099784587.html

You might want to consider this one too -- another high quality boat -- a bit cheaper:

http://victoria.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z121431999
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

>>Curious why you do not think those boat brands can handle salt water, I have a 16' 1976 Duranautic,
>>it is made from 5052, it is holding up fine, the seaworthy stuff I agree with, I only use it within a mile
>>or two from shore.

>>In the area of MA I am in there are tons of small Lunds and Duranautics many as old as mine still being
>>used, I have never seen one that has significant damage from corrosion.

Hi MacCTD:

My Lund had a plywood floor and the aluminum rivets corroded. The floor was starting to get punky.
This probably could have been avoided if I carefully washed out the boat with every use, but I
must have missed some areas with the hose. Also the staples on the seats rusted out.

Also in general even if the hulls are made from marine grade aluminum, freshwater boats tend to have
lots of factory-installed gadgets and features -- all of which need to be maintained -- washed down and
protected from salt environment. Some of these features are made of corrisive metals.
Things like swim ladders, compasses, bait/live wells, lighting, carpeting, even seat and cushion hardware.

I'm not saying it can't be done, because lots of people do it. I'm saying for ocean trips you are better off
with a boat that is not freshwater-oriented because they are easier to maintain in a saltwater envirnoment.
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
fishfoo
Your location: Playa, Ca.

Post by fishfoo »

Thanks for all the opinions guys, very helpful. I've been checking bloodydecks since before I sold my NON ALLOY boat last summer (I had already decided I was done with glass boats and would switch to aluminum for good) I let the best deal get away, a newer 19' Klamath with a Suzuki 70 and fully equipped for only 12k. :skillet: :skillet: :skillet: Hey I never said I had a big brain. I'll keep looking, I think it's got to be either a Valco or a Klamath, I'd love a Pacific, ACB etc.... but just can't put up the $'s for one of those right now. Luckily as you guys mentioned, lots of new opportunities poppin up with the economy as it is.

Jettywolf, Chaps and Ragingspear thanks for the warnings on the channel crossing you guys were dead-on! My dumb BACK SIDE has crossed in the hellish conditions you described, and yes I had my azzzz handed to me. Once coming back from Ancapa and once from Catalina :banghead: I'm still breathin but won't do it again. Since the second beating finally taught me a lesson, now I just anchor up in the lee and spend the night, usually by morning it's smooth again, not to mention I pick up the sundown and gray light bites as well. Thanks for the warm welcome, I'll try to contribute in the future if I can muster up something worth saying.

Fishfoo :thumbsup:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Fishfoo belated welcome. Catalina channel can be a pain on the kidneys and a wet ride, Prudence and a trusted weather report is a must when traversing in a lightwieght skiff, even then sea conditions can change for the worse.

Rough water training for Carolmizer............

If you keep on SL Dave will find you a good one he has powers :lol:

So are you going to sign up for the "Meet and Greet"? We would love to have you show up.

Regards
Mark
2325 WA Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Mojo, that sounded like Kenny in your video.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Illgotoo wrote:>>Curious why you do not think those boat brands can handle salt water, I have a 16' 1976 Duranautic,
>>it is made from 5052, it is holding up fine, the seaworthy stuff I agree with, I only use it within a mile
>>or two from shore.

>>In the area of MA I am in there are tons of small Lunds and Duranautics many as old as mine still being
>>used, I have never seen one that has significant damage from corrosion.

Hi MacCTD:

My Lund had a plywood floor and the aluminum rivets corroded. The floor was starting to get punky.
This probably could have been avoided if I carefully washed out the boat with every use, but I
must have missed some areas with the hose. Also the staples on the seats rusted out.

Also in general even if the hulls are made from marine grade aluminum, freshwater boats tend to have
lots of factory-installed gadgets and features -- all of which need to be maintained -- washed down and
protected from salt environment. Some of these features are made of corrisive metals.
Things like swim ladders, compasses, bait/live wells, lighting, carpeting, even seat and cushion hardware.

I'm not saying it can't be done, because lots of people do it. I'm saying for ocean trips you are better off
with a boat that is not freshwater-oriented because they are easier to maintain in a saltwater envirnoment.
Like I said.....a Walleye Cruiser.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ply wood, not for me
Carpet, not good for anyone
Zinc chromate cleats??? Not good for anyone.

Get a real aluminum Saltwater boat Fishfoo, you'll be glad ya did.

Most folks here, ain't turning back. We got what we need.

That's why my motto is;
"everything ya need, nothing ya don't." When it comes to fishing with the Jettywolf.
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10
Your location: Mid Coast Maine

Post by aluminumdreamer »

I suggest looking into Quintrex, It's an aussie boat. I just sold a 15' wide body dory 2 weeks ago to buy the new love of my life. They are all welded aluminum construction, very deep and wide hull design. I know they make a wide body dory in a 17'. Look em up, I was very happy with mine, and it sounds like I did the same things with mine that you would do with yours.
Good luck,
Nate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic